What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance

sirlegin

Well Known Member
In light of the latest Cirrus chute deployment due to fuel exhaustion and consequent total loss: Does Insurance fully pay for this type of loss?
I know under Homeowners coverage stupid is covered, ie dropping a can of paint and ruining wall finishes, carpet etc.
Just curious....

It was fuel starvation not exhaustion

That Cirrus had 80 gallons of fuel still on board when the chute was deployed. This was due to a valve problem that would not let fuel feed. They figured out 3 hours before deployment that they were past the point of no return and did not have enough useable fuel to make the destination despite plenty on board. Unable to fix it they coordinated with the USCG and deployed near the ship on purpose. I presume the valve was tested but don't know those details. The pilot works for a company that ferries quite a few Cirrus around the world.

In light of the latest Cirrus chute deployment due to fuel exhaustion and consequent total loss: Does Insurance fully pay for this type of loss?
I know under Homeowners coverage stupid is covered, ie dropping a can of paint and ruining wall finishes, carpet etc.
Just curious....

And how is this RV related? :)

BRS makes a parachute option for certain RV models.

Insurance covers the loss for just about any incident or accident.....no matter whether it's of a mechanical cause or caused by a pilot trick.

Insurance covers the loss for just about any incident or accident.....no matter whether it's of a mechanical cause or caused by a pilot trick.

Read your policy!
Most policies state who may pilot your plane, for your insurance to be valid. If someone not listed was flying, they won't pay.
Most policies state "Pleasure and incidental business" flying. If you were running an air taxi business, or giving transition training for hire, they won't pay.

Of course there are excluded pilots and excluded commercial activities.

His original question was about....would insurance pay for something not smart like fuel exhaustion... The answer is "yes."

Back