What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute Questions

Glas467

Well Known Member
I am looking to buy my first chute, looking at a Strong Model 304 seat style. It was manufactured in 2000 and according to the seller never used and has not had a repack in that time either. Visually it certainly looks like it has never been used. The seller is asking $500 -- what kind of gotchas do I need to look for? Is this a good price for this type of chute? I do plan to take it to a parachute shop for inspection and repack (part of the sale deal is it passes a prepurchase inspection).

Reggie

Last edited:
There is an urban legend out there that states that a parachute has a service life of 20 years. THERE IS NO BASIS IN FACT FOR THIS. Recently, the United States Parachute Association requested clarification on this matter from the FAA. On August 21, 2012 the FAA replied. The FAA stated that any parachute certified under standards TSO- C23b, TSO C-23c and TSO C-23d did not have a maximum service life. Continued service life of any given parachute unit is to be established by a certificated parachute rigger at the time of inspection and repack of the parachute. Any parachute rigger that simply refuses to recertify your parachute simply because of its age is doing you a disservice. Find another parachute rigger.

Many riggers won?t repack rigs that are from the mid-80's and earlier because of their design and/or materials, not because of their age. Rigs built since the late 80's are almost identical (functionally and materially) to rigs being built today. If you purchase a rig in good condition that is up to 25 years old, it will probably still be serviceable for many more years, as it's design is still the same as ones being made today.

Having said that, if a competent rigger inspects you chute and finds that is in good condition, I would say that $500 is a fair price.

You can also ship it directly to Strong and they will inspect and repack. I bought a 20+year old backpack model about 3 or 4 years ago, and shipped it to Strong for inspection and repacking. Came back fine.

With no repack in 14 years I wouldn't touch it. Should be re-packed every year. You have no idea how it has been stored, and its difficult to test! But it depends why you want a parachute. If it is just to comply with regs I would offer $300 in light of the poor servicing.

If you consider you may have to use it one day then I would suggest this is poor value.

Pete

i know that when i go jumping, my primary chute needs to be packed under the supervision of a licensed rigger, and my reserve needs to be repacked every 6 months by a licensed rigger. I would assume the same thing applies here.

i know that when i go jumping, my primary chute needs to be packed under the supervision of a licensed rigger, and my reserve needs to be repacked every 6 months by a licensed rigger. I would assume the same thing applies here.

Of course, many here only use a 'chute to comply with regs for doing aerobatics, and many feel that one can't jump out of an RV anyhow... it could be argued that a parachute in working/serviced order in an RV is actually useless. :)

With no repack in 14 years I wouldn't touch it. Should be re-packed every year. You have no idea how it has been stored, and its difficult to test! But it depends why you want a parachute. If it is just to comply with regs I would offer $300 in light of the poor servicing.

If you consider you may have to use it one day then I would suggest this is poor value.

Pete

A certificated rigger can determine if the chute and harness are serviceable. A chute stored properly will likely be just fine. There is no requirement to repack a chute every year, but it must be packed within the past 180 days to be serviceable. (ref: FAR 91.307)

Sec. 91.307 ? Parachutes and parachuting.

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger?
(1) Within the preceding 180 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment...

I found this link helpful when I was getting my parachute:

http://www.strongparachutes.com/emergency/faq.asp

As others have stated there is no service life and you can store a parachute for a long time without repacking IF it's stored properly.

In your case I would send it to Strong for the inspection/repack as part of the sale.

What I find more interesting is that Strong actually states that there parachutes are designed for a yearly repack cycle NOT a 180 day repack cycle. Would be nice if the FAA would get on board with the progress in materials since the 180 day rule was written. I wouldn't be surprised if excessive repacking (more often then the manufacturer recommends) doesn't cause more harm then good. Not sure if there is any data showing that one way or the other.

Sale Fell Through ... not a bad thing!

Well, two updates, 1) the seller decided he would not support sale contingent on a pre-purchase, it was a take-it or leave-it and 2) someone else bought it sight unseen today.

Everything works out for the best, so I am still shopping around for a good chute.

Reggie

Well, two updates, 1) the seller decided he would not support sale contingent on a pre-purchase, it was a take-it or leave-it and 2) someone else bought it sight unseen today.

Everything works out for the best, so I am still shopping around for a good chute.

Reggie

you are better off then. anyone refusing to allow a major safety device such as a parachute to go through an inspection is trying to hide something.

Back