What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Base to Final Stall

Vac

Well Known Member
Benefactor
When we designed the aural AOA logic, we mimicked the system McDonnell had in the F-4. The jet had a "pedal shaker" that functioned as stall warning--similar to stick shakers in modern airliners. The old pedal shaker was definitely attention getting. Every once in a while, you would miss judge a base turn and if you worked too hard to salvage a bad situation; you would end up on the pedal shaker. That was the jet's way of saying "hey dude, you are pulling too hard, and if you keep it up, this isn't going to end well."

Since it's not a good idea to bolt a shaker into an airplane with reversible flight controls, we use the high pulse rate warning to mimic the input that would be provided by the pedal/stick shaker.

Here's a short clip of a final overshoot right up to the maximum aerodynamic limit of the airplane. What's interesting is that when the airplane is deep on the back side of the power required curve, how long the it takes to get back to an ONSPEED (solid tone) condition. In other words, it wouldn't take much of a ham fist to botch a recovery in this condition. This recovery required an AOA reduction AND power to re-establish an ONSPEED condition. Because RV's have such good low-speed/high alpha handling characteristics, the airplane is solid with just a small amount of buffet. Without benefit of an accurate tone (or other energy warning system/display/etc.), it would be tough to realize how close the aerodynamic margin the airplane is. Obviously, this was a planned test--so no startle factor. Consider what would happen if you dropped airspeed out of the cross-check, didn't have the benefit of accurate energy cues or weren't coordinating rudder properly--this could definitely be a "square corner."

https://youtu.be/pslGHjISg1g

There is lots of radio chatter and intercom, so you can see how the tone is attenuated and blends in an operational environment. If you like flying formation--kind of handy to hear your AOA/energy state when your eyes are welded on lead.

Shameless plug: We'll be conducting a forum at OSH on Friday, 30 Jul at 0830 and we'll be around the Sunday Beer Tasting and Monday Social if you want to learn more about this or just talk energy management. We can even practice shooting down watches ;)

Fly safe,

Vac
FlyONSPEED.org

Are the on-speed tones able to be deselected? Personally, that's too much noise vying for my attention when everything is normal. I'd rather just have the tones come on when I'm slower than on-speed, like the pedal shakers you described. Continuous on-speed tones will tend to make me tune it all out, and would likely have me remove the entire system after a few flights.

Hi Rob,

Short answer: Yes, turn the volume down. You'll give up the ability to fly performance cues, and will have to monitor the LED in the volume knob to determine if the system is working. You could also just use the optional visual display in lieu of the tone. The downside to a visual display is that you have to look at it. Mine is on top, center under the "hoodie" in the video.

Long answer: The tone is only active at AOA above L/Dmax. The tones are designed to provide performance cues that you can use in lieu of IAS. The continuous tone is also a "heart beat" that lets you know system performance is nominal. Fighter and glider guys have been flying with tones for a long time. The human factors folks say that they are readily internalized. After you get used to it, you only notice when it's NOT there. We get this input so frequently that we call it "green eggs and ham syndrome." As a pilot, I'm not smart enough to do the energy math real-time, so I count on the cues when my eyes are outside of the cockpit. I also understand that a video does not equate with training or operational experience.

Very busy radio environment--both radios blaring on purpose for the test/demo. If I needed to, the first step would have been to load-shed a frequency. Likely based on long experience with similar systems it's straight-forward for me to aviate (maintain aircraft control--listen to the tone), navigate (don't hit the ground or anything attached to the ground) and communicate (listen to, or in this case, ignore the radio). I fully understand hesitancy if you haven't flown performance AOA cues in a dynamic environment.

What's neat about an aural system is that it's always there for you. Prioritization in a dynamic environment is all about where you direct your conscious effort, and what runs on auto-pilot. Hearing uses a different part of your brain that works in parallel with your vision. We actually process sound faster than vision. That's the "readily internalized" part. The tone is there when ever you have a brain-byte to put on it. And, yeah, if you become task saturated, you can effectively tune it out as you channelize attention and lose the big picture. Unfortunately, there are only so many ways to skin the cat. We did discuss a "null tone" option, but our concern is that how do you know the system is working correctly? You would also give up L/Dmax and/or ONSPEED cuing. The single biggest advantage of an aural cue is that you don't have to look at it. Ultimately, we've chosen to stick with the proven military tech.

Here's an inadvertent wind shear encounter. Airspeed is varying +/- 15 KTS. Certainly plausible to carry lots of smash (extra airspeed) into the flare, but much easier to fly the alpha cues, at least for me, and be ONSPEED just prior to touchdown. Also note that when the bottom drops out, it's a nearly instantaneous shift to stall warning. If you flew the system in a mode that only provides stall warning, you may not get any under these conditions. Admittedly, extreme example; but it's why we are hard over about accuracy and performance:

https://youtu.be/VQZYY5nIgjY

v/r,

Vac

Last edited:
This isn't the best picture, but it shows the energy display on the glareshield. The backseat instruments can also be selected to provide an OnSpeed energy display, which would be great for training.

EDIT: Despite the value of the visual display, the audio tones work without looking. In many maneuvers, including approach turns and short final, your eyes are normally focused elsewhere. The tones work even with your eyes closed (not recommended in flight). The display augments the tone logic, is a great training aid and works when the tones are turned off or radio traffic mutes them.

Many pilots will prefer a visual display, and that's why it exists. The combination of the display and the tones provides the best of both worlds.

IMG_1511.jpg

Last edited:
<<When we designed the aural AOA logic, we mimicked the system McDonnell had in the F-4>>

I wonder why they dropped it after the F-4. Lots of documented base turn accidents since then.

Hi Rob,

Short answer: Yes, turn the volume down. You'll give up the ability to fly performance cues, and will have to monitor the LED in the volume knob to determine if the system is working. You could also just use the optional visual display in lieu of the tone. The downside to a visual display is that you have to look at it. Mine is on top, center under the "hoodie" in the video.

Long answer: The tone is only active at AOA above L/Dmax. The tones are designed to provide performance cues that you can use in lieu of IAS. The continuous tone is also a "heart beat" that lets you know system performance is nominal. Fighter and glider guys have been flying with tones for a long time. The human factors folks say that they are readily internalized. After you get used to it, you only notice when it's NOT there. We get this input so frequently that we call it "green eggs and ham syndrome." As a pilot, I'm not smart enough to do the energy math real-time, so I count on the cues when my eyes are outside of the cockpit. I also understand that a video does not equate with training or operational experience.

Very busy radio environment--both radios blaring on purpose for the test/demo. If I needed to, the first step would have been to load-shed a frequency. Likely based on long experience with similar systems it's straight-forward for me to aviate (maintain aircraft control--listen to the tone), navigate (don't hit the ground or anything attached to the ground) and communicate (listen to, or in this case, ignore the radio). I fully understand hesitancy if you haven't flown performance AOA cues in a dynamic environment.

What's neat about an aural system is that it's always there for you. Prioritization in a dynamic environment is all about where you direct your conscious effort, and what runs on auto-pilot. Hearing uses a different part of your brain that works in parallel with your vision. We actually process sound faster than vision. That's the "readily internalized" part. The tone is there when ever you have a brain-byte to put on it. And, yeah, if you become task saturated, you can effectively tune it out as you channelize attention and lose the big picture. Unfortunately, there are only so many ways to skin the cat. We did discuss a "null tone" option, but our concern is that how do you know the system is working correctly? You would also give up L/Dmax and/or ONSPEED cuing. The single biggest advantage of an aural cue is that you don't have to look at it. Ultimately, we've chosen to stick with the proven military tech.

Here's an inadvertent wind shear encounter. Airspeed is varying +/- 15 KTS. Certainly plausible to carry lots of smash (extra airspeed) into the flare, but much easier to fly the alpha cues, at least for me, and be ONSPEED just prior to touchdown. Also note that when the bottom drops out, it's a nearly instantaneous shift to stall warning. If you flew the system in a mode that only provides stall warning, you may not get any under these conditions. Admittedly, extreme example; but it's why we are hard over about accuracy and performance:

https://youtu.be/VQZYY5nIgjY

v/r,

Vac

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the lengthy answer. I understand your answer to pilots getting used to noises in the cockpit, and I can see that. I also appreciate that your test was done in a busy radio environment, but you can't always deselect the radio to hear the tones better. I've been in busy unicom channels with twice as much traffic as you had in your video, and that's a pretty regular Sat level of comms, so it was good to see you test it with all the other chatter.

For me, I don't think I'd ever leave the constant on-speed tone on long enough to get used to it. Plus, I fly a variety of airplanes, so if only one of them has a continuous tone when on-speed, it becomes a distraction and not the norm. (I know that I'm not the typical EAB builder/pilot in that regard.) I like how the tone changes as the speed gets slower, as that draws your attention to a situation that isn't right. For me, that's the only audio warning I'd want. If the continuous on-speed tone isn't deselectable, then that's a deal-breaker.

I really love the innovation behind this product. Someone who only flies one airplane would get used to it a lot better than I would.

Rob,

Well considered. I'll chat with the engineers about adding that as a pilot selectable option to the system. Doable and perhaps perfect complement to the optional energy display for some folks.

v/r,

Vac

I currently have an AOA warning system in my cockpit that not only gives visual displays for AOA but also aural warnings as you get closer to the stall. Starts as a slow beep at a specified threshold then gradually increases to a steady tone near stall. I like that it is not constantly in my ear. It is only in my ear when getting near the danger zone. I don’t think I would like a constant “on-speed” tone in my ear when things are flying along smoothly.

Just my .02.

I currently have an AOA warning system in my cockpit that not only gives visual displays for AOA but also aural warnings as you get closer to the stall. Starts as a slow beep at a specified threshold then gradually increases to a steady tone near stall. I like that it is not constantly in my ear. It is only in my ear when getting near the danger zone. I don’t think I would like a constant “on-speed” tone in my ear when things are flying along smoothly.

Just my .02.

Steve,
Is the AOA system you refer to the GRT EFIS warning system? If so that system is (I believe) airspeed based on a calibration process you go through when setting it up. It works well in level one g flight but can under perform when trying to correct for an over shoot condition in the final turn and/or when flying formation in high performance conditions where your eyes are fixed outside.

In the final turn scenario, an airplane stalls at a higher airspeed when it’s loaded up with greater than one g and less lift because of the steeper turn. The GRT AOA system falls a little short in this scenario and the aircraft can stall before the GRT aural/screen AOA system alerts you.

Any warning system that enhances safety and Pilot awareness is welcomed.

Well yes Jim, everything you mentioned is true about the GRT AOA system. It does have its limitations and I am aware of them. Which is one of the reasons I did not mention which system I flew behind. However, my point for posting was to say that having an aural system warn at the fringes of the flight regime is more valuable to me than a constant aural sound in my ear all the time. Perhaps in specific situations such as aerobatics, or in the pattern turning base or turning final, the “on-speed” aural sound can be beneficial but to have it on all of the time would not be something I would want to constantly be having to either “get used to” or “learn how to tune it out” in specific situations. Requiring that of the user in order for it to work does not endear it to me.

I am not saying by my comments that this system is not potentially beneficial in improving safety. However, to my point, I do recall watching a video from a few years ago when a retractable gear plane was filmed from the back seat coming into an airport to land with two experienced pilots on board. The “gear not down” aural warning was blaring constantly through the approach. Neither pilot paid any attention to it until they came to a grinding halt on the runway. They had “learned how to tune it out” too well:

https://www.rapp.org/archives/2011/12/horn/

Absolutely correct. As you become task saturated, you channelize attention. Aural cues can be tuned out, as can visual and visceral cues, depending on circumstances. When your brain “load sheds” sounds can be the first thing to go.

If you don’t need performance AOA cues to fly, then just being warned about a negative Ps condition or approaching the aerodynamic limit (stall warning) is beneficial. If you want to max perform the airplane “eye’s out” (not looking inside the cockpit), then an aural energy cue that is independent of G load, weight, density altitude that works in any attitude may be helpful. Also consider that performance AOA is designed into the airplane, airspeed is not and will vary. IAS will vary from airplane to airplane, and can only be determined through flight test. If you haven’t flown with this type of aural SA, I’d respectfully suggest that you try it before you pass judgment or draw any conclusions.

We’ll consider a “warning only” mode as a pilot selectable option, which will provide the same utility as any properly calibrated AOA system than can accurately measure AOA to within a half degree or less across the speed band of the airplane (Vs to a max). If gust loads or pilot input exceed 3-4 G/sec (wind shear video I posted), you may not receive any warning, as depicted in the wind shear video I posted. In this mode, you wouldn’t receive cues for best rate or angle of climb, best glide, best range, optimum turn (best sustained turn rate) or optimum approach and landing.

Under normal conditions, the system should work well throughout the flight envelope at normal input rates up to 2G/sec (64FPS gust load). Here’s an accelerated stall (5.7 G’s) just below maneuvering speed (airplane has a 6G symmetric limit): https://youtu.be/UxLXqI8-V14. This is one method for testing the system’s ability to keep up with a high G input.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
OnSpeed AOA system in my RV8

My onspeed AOA system works just as Vac described. There is no tone in normal cruise flight when AOA is below L/D max, which is the majority of my normal flying, but during takeoff and climb out the tones provide me with subtle but accurate tone cues as to my best angle or best rate of climb, and during patterns and landings I know my energy state while looking outside the plane at any flap, airspeed or G state and the cues are not affected by aircraft fuel load or CG. When I’m in maneuvering flight the OnSpeed system is like magic as it’s always there to help me optimize my flight envelope at any energy state while helping to keep me out of trouble.

Does the tone bother me, no it doesn’t because it’s telling me something important all the time, I set the volume very low because it doesn’t have to be loud to provide the message it’s sending, radio traffic and other cockpit distractions are always a factor in pilot workload, but the OnSpeed tone factors in so much valuable information into a single tone signal I believe it decreases pilot workload during critical phases of flight. And my little visual EM display on my dash board provides AOA, IAS, and G’s during outside visual scans as needed.

And it would be easy to change the software so you only get a tone (the slow tone rising to the very slow/stall tone) when you are on the backside of the power curve and your energy state is deteriorating but that’s not why we spent all this time and effort developing this system, we built it so you will stay out of a negative energy state in the first place, and only go there when you are ready too such as a landing flare.

Steve,

Point taken. I have experienced the scenario you mentioned personally during military upgrade training when my instructor emphasized the need for doing “safety checks” on final by verbally distracting me so that I allowed for the gear not to be extended. The “gear horn” was screaming while the instructor was concurrently talking when I finally said; “what - I can’t hear you because of this dam* horn!” I then realized what was going on, executed a go around and “learned a valuable lesson.” Safety checks on short final are now ingrained into my flying - even in fixed gear aircraft.

A steady on speed tone on final can be distracting if you’re not use to it. As also said, a tone system that’s quiet when AOA is below L/D max is not disruptive to safety. In fact, in flight if I started hearing a “tone signal” as I was approaching L/D max I hope I would respond to it just like a “gear not down” or “approaching stall” warning by adding power, releasing back pressure, leveling my wings with rudder and returning to a safer flight condition.

Having said this, I will also admit that at my age certain tone ranges are hard to hear until the volume is relatively high. Someone else in the other seat would likely wonder much sooner than I what was happening. Today my flying is a lot less aggressive than in my youth.

My onspeed AOA system works just as Vac described. There is no tone in normal cruise flight when AOA is below L/D max, which is the majority of my normal flying, but during takeoff and climb out the tones provide me with subtle but accurate tone cues as to my best angle or best rate of climb, and during patterns and landings I know my energy state while looking outside the plane at any flap, airspeed or G state and the cues are not affected by aircraft fuel load or . . .

A steady on speed tone on final can be distracting if you’re not use to it. As also said, a tone system that’s quiet when AOA is below L/D max is not disruptive to safety. In fact, in flight if I started hearing a “tone signal” as I was approaching L/D max I hope I would respond to it just like a “gear not down” or “approaching stall” warning by adding power, releasing back pressure, leveling my wings with rudder and returning to a safer flight condition. . .
Ahh, I guess I missed the part about the aural warning is not going off during normal flight. My apologies for my misunderstanding. I agree that having tones go off at critical times only is a very different, and useful, thing.

The Onspeed system doe not have the tones on ALL THE TIME. I have been flying the system on my RV12 for two years. It only comes when I fly during VX V Y climbs or during landing approaches. When it is needed most. Oh it did warn me one day when I had to take immediate evasive action to avoid a C172 that was descending on top of me. As I cranked and banked I knew by the tones where I was as far as my energy was and I had no fear of stalling while my sight remained out of the cockpit making sure I avoided the C172.

During cruise flight there is no tone.

The Onspeed system doe not have the tones on ALL THE TIME. I have been flying the system on my RV12 for two years. It only comes when I fly during VX V Y climbs or during landing approaches. When it is needed most. Oh it did warn me one day when I had to take immediate evasive action to avoid a C172 that was descending on top of me. As I cranked and banked I knew by the tones where I was as far as my energy was and I had no fear of stalling while my sight remained out of the cockpit making sure I avoided the C172.

Did you have to make your system or was it something you purchased? I would like to have that system but am not an electrical guru.

Jeff, thanks for the example. I'm not sure if I was clear in my post, but I know it's silent during flight at speeds above L/D max. My issue with what I saw in the video is that on-speed is a normal condition, and a constant tone in that flight regime is distracting if it's trying to draw my attention to a normal condition. I only need my attention drawn to my energy state if it's below on-speed. That's when I would want the tone to start, and not before. Having it squawk at me from the abeam (as in the video) is way too distracting!

Great discussion!

This discussion is super helpful for us as we continue our work! I really appreciate everyone chiming in. It's helpful to hear from folks that haven't flown with this type of energy cuing. And, I also appreciate the mutual support from folks that have operational experience flying with aural cues and/or AOA as a primary performance reference.

I would never consider flying without progressive energy cuing, but that is "technique," not "procedure." I want to know what my specific power condition is (positive, neutral or negative) and how it is changing real-time when I maneuver. I want to hear when I'm at an optimum energy state for approach and landing (and how its trending). I like listening to Vx and Vy for initial climb segment. Audio is an under-utilized resource in the cockpit and it frees up my eyes for other duty. Experience bias, no doubt.

There is much to be said for "if it's working, I don't need to know about it." That's the human factors science behind the "dark cockpit" engineering that goes into modern jet liners. I fly one of those at work and it's right up there with brakes and pavement as a great contribution to aviation.

If a "warning only" mode is what it takes to get folks to install an accurate AOA/energy management system, easy enough to add that as a pilot selectable option :). I pushed back for years on the necessity of a visual display--we've got one of those too now. Evolution. If folks take the time to install a system and learn about it, they might try the normal "always on" mode too. Like the line from the movie "Vacation" at the car lot: "If you think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it..."

Again--thanks to the folks that are taking time to help us out and contribute to the discourse. This community is world-class.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
I developed visual and haptic (stick buzzer) AOA indicators several years ago, and provided prototypes to the FAA task force. In 2020/2021 I developed the OnSpeed visual energy indicator.

I was never satisfied with the AOA systems available (at a reasonable cost) for our marketplace. Bottom line, I did not trust them. How accurate are they? Do they process rolling G's? Are the calibration methods reliable? Since they were black boxes, I couldn't tell. Even the internal thresholds were not made visible to the pilot/installer. I know, I asked!

OnSpeed is different. Not only is the development and flight testing well documented, the test results and algorithms are published in intricate detail for peer review. By not depending totally on the opaque internals of a conventional EFIS, the OS system is optimized for its function.

With proper calibration, the OS system should be far more trustworthy than existing systems. When you want to fly with precision or aerobatics 'on the edge', trust is a biggie! Just like AOA indicators were a big step over a stall horn (or lamp), OnSpeed energy indication is a big step over conventional AOA.

VV

Paradigms

I have to cast a vote here. It has to do with the concept of paradigms in the sense of subconscious subroutines, if you will. The thing in our brains that allows us to drive 30 minutes and realize after we did it that we weren't really paying attention.

Developing new paradigms is often something we naturally resist unless we are really motivated to do the learning. But paradigms are an essential part of complex tasks. They are an essential part of flying. I am not advocating for flying 30 minutes and realizing our minds were elsewhere, that's just unprofessional. But the more tasks we can effectively relegate to paradigms the more free time we will have to recognize and focus on change events. It's what we are doing from 0-40 hrs (you pick a number) of initial flight training.

The threshold for hearing something relegated to a paradigm is fairly low. Think a suspicious sound at while walking in the forest or something that goes bump in the night. Those developed paradigms will catch the associated cues and grab our focus if needed or simply guide our actions without alerting us. Think of walking on something soft that requires us to change our balance without really thinking about it.

In this way an aural progressive AoA feedback can be relegated to subconscious thought and integrated in our aircraft control without consciously hearing it. Sure it's there, but eventually you will both tune it out and at the same time respond to what it's telling you.

Of course it takes learning and time and repetition. Our brains definitely push back on forced paradigms making us find reasons to avoid learning them. But worth considering.

My Two Cents

Last edited:
With proper calibration, the OS system should be far more trustworthy than existing systems.
VV

I haven't had time to read through all the tech specs, how is the OS system calibrated, if not using "stall" speed * 1.x ? I'm assuming it's using a pressure differential probe for measurement. And how does the system account for G loading?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Short Answer. The system is calibrated to measure actual angle of attack. This creates what is called an “aircraft curve.” We are currently testing software that automates this for the pilot: all you do is push a button, slow from Vmax to stall, push a button and let the computer handle it. The aircraft curve is the algorithm the system uses to convert coefficient of pressure into AOA. We measure actual AOA across the speed band of the airplane (Vstall to Vmax) within a couple 10ths of a degree. Performance AOA cues are a function of L/Dmax AOA, which is engineered into every airplane. ONSPEED is proportional to L/Dmax. ONSPEED is also coincident with 60% lift (i.e., the wing is working at 60% capacity, with stall occurring at 100%). So if you compare 1/(stall speed/stall speed X 1.3)^2, everything marries for Vapp. Depending on the airplane and flap configuration, an ONSPEED condition will occur somewhere between 1.2 and 1.4 Vs. The coefficient of pressure is determined by using a differential probe. I’ve got the Dynon Pitot/AOA on my RV-4 along with an Alpha Systems “blade.” Keeping up with G-load is easy—computers are fast and good at math. The hard part is damping (smoothing) the signal so that it’s usable by the pilot. The system must work throughout the flight envelope, even at high G, otherwise a rapid pilot input or gust of wind could “beat the system.” Responsiveness is pilot adjustable as well, you can “gain” the system up or down, as desired for performance. I’ve got mine dialed in to handle 3G’s/second. A max performance pull (for optimum turn performance in a dog fight or during some acro maneuvers) in the RV-4 is 2G’s/sec, so that gives me a little slop and can handle a wind gust of 96 FPS.

Long Answer. Check-out our website: www.flyonspeed.org.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Did you have to make your system or was it something you purchased? I would like to have that system but am not an electrical guru.

I'm wondering this, too. Not that I'm close to flying yet, but I'm really interested in this system. I've read the documentation and some of it isn't quite clear to me. I don't mind building the physical unit but flashing software has always thrown me off; it's why I've never done it to my 3D printer and why I eventually stopped rooting my phones.

Production Units

Hi Bob,

If you can do that, you are way ahead of me--I can barely handle wiring if I've got a detailed schematic :D

The current version of the system (V3) is a through-hole design that is optimized for assembly from off-the-shelf parts by hobbyists. All of the information for the V3 hardware, including a parts list and assembly instructions is on our GitHub site: https://github.com/flyonspeed. We have a builder's forum on our website for technical support and are always willing to share any bench stock we have with folks that want to build a system.

Since we had some good fortune at Oshkosh last week during the EAA Innovation Prize competition, the next step is to develop a "productionized" version of the system that we are calling the "V4" (fourth iteration of the hardware). Our plans are to work with a non-profit partner to have units available for folks to purchase that aren't interested in building one. Our design objective is to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Since we're an all-volunteer group, we don't have any specific timeline for accomplishing that; but will post updates on VAF and our website as we make progress.

And, we always hope one of the major manufacturers notices our work--wouldn't break our hearts if they were to adapt the logic. I don't know of a commercial system that provides the same utility, accuracy or performance under load. The heart of our work is the physics and coding--no reason it couldn't be adapted to different hardware. Here's a link to a good FAA look at COTS (commercial off the shelf) AOA systems: http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/tc18-19.pdf. We publish test results for our system on our website and are happy to share data and resources with anyone that wants to collaborate with us.

Fly safe,

Vac

Back