Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2021, 02:28 PM

Thank goodness for the experimental world!

I am burning both 100LL and 93UL. E0 and E10. As we have the MoTeC ECU (the Gold-Standard per resident forum expert Ross Farnham), I can easily burn either fuel.

Certainly many here can do the same. So why get our panties in a wad over the FAA dragging it's feet on this?

I have had friends literally pass away, waiting on the new fuel that will never happen.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:22 PM

It is an extremely high bar for entry, to be able to have a drop-in fuel that checks all the boxes for all engines. I for one do not expect to live long enough to see that happen.

What I expect WILL happen is that new fuels will come to the market, outside of PAFI, and engines will be designed/built/purchased that will eat that fuel happily and will begin to gain market share. The others can continue to run 100LL for as long as it's available. Eventually they will be orphaned, and there will be much wailing and gnashing of the teeth and people running about with sackcloth and ashes, but that will be the end of it.

There is no simple or easy way to make the transition. It requires not only a new fuel, but new engine design to burn it. The "turbonormalized" versus turbocharged example given above is a perfect example. One will work fine, the other may not. Some airplanes will have to be re-engined if 100LL finally goes away, there's no choice.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:36 PM

Clostermann, good points you make here.

When 115/145 was phased out, operators of mainly ex military radials had to switch to 100/130 and they often had to reduce MAP to do that safely. HP was reduced somewhat. Ditto when 100LL replaced 100/130.

It could be done with the new unleaded avgas if it can't meet similar detonation margins as 100LL but would require POH re-writes again. This seems like not where the FAA wants to head and STCs may happen first before a full, fleet wide drop in fuel is a reality (if it ever happens at all). Some of the candidates have already said as much.

In the Experimental world we see a fair number of people using programmable ignition systems which allow automatic ignition retard with high MAP and re-advancing timing as MAP is reduced. This maintains detonation margins as a slight expense in TO power at sea level.

BTW, The Big Show is my favorite book of all time.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 449.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 07-23-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:35 PM

Default MY Fear

My fear is that what ever unleaded fuel comes out with the STC for the most planes it will still be an uphill battle. The big twins burn lots of gas and that income will be hard to sunset. And I don’t see airports having two avgas fuels available like in the old days.

I really want an unleaded fuel to succeed but my piddly little 36 gals won’t generate the profit margin for most FBOs.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
90% done, 90% left to go
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-23-2021, 09:00 PM

An interesting tidbit published in late 2019:

"Swift Fuel’s Unleaded UL94 Avgas is sold nationwide - priced competitively with 100LL and is expected to remain low subject to oil market volatility. Over 110,000 aircraft are already FAA-authorized to use the UL94 Avgas as a “drop-in ready” fuel. Swift UL94 is compliant with all ASTM D7547 avgas specifications and D4814 auto gasoline specifications, making it a highly versatile premium gasoline product in the global marketplace. Note that UL94 avgas is not a full replacement for 100LL for higher compression engines, therefore, only those aircraft with engine requiring 94 motor-octane avgas or lower are compatible – which still represents 65% of the US piston fleet. For more information about UL94, FAA certifications, and the latest listing of airports with Swift Fuels UL94 available, please visit: www.swiftfuels.com"

Searching around a bit, I found several mentions that the Swift avgas was priced well below 100LL.

Also, I was never aware of the German connection with Swift in the USA: https://swiftfuel.eu/who-we-are/

Note the recent news here and the RV connection: https://swiftfuel.eu/news

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 449.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 AM

So exactly how much is this renewable 100R fuel going to cost? The same as 100LL fuel?

And how many years will it take for the FAA (lethargic at best) to certify this fuel?

We all know the answers, and this is why 93UL is a good and viable solution. Distribution is not a problem either, as it's available at every corner gas station.

Just ensure you purchase "Top Tier" grade fuel.

Yes, I have a collection of 5 gallon gas cans and a portable fuel pump.

Just like when I owned a C-172, and burned auto fuel in it. Best decision I ever made.

Now, top off those tanks and fly safe!
Old 07-24-2021, 05:43 AM

I suspect the final answer will be along the lines of Swift 94UL. While I can burn 93 ethanol free pump gas I find vapor issues a problem. Swift 94UL is nothing more than 100LL without the lead, so such issues are not present.

Considering the recent comments from the regulatory czars, engines will need to change. Direct injection on my Chevrolet truck standard engine (11.5 to 1 pistons) lets me burns 87 octane pump gas. Why can’t Lycoming do the same?

Carl
Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 AM

Automotive engines are liquid cooled, therefore much tighter temperature control. Fuel and ignition is also closed loop computer controlled; knock sensors, the whole works. Those engines will destroy themselves if temperature, fuel mixture and tignition timing go places that airplane engines do.
Fuselage at the "porcupine stage"
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 07-24-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I suspect the final answer will be along the lines of Swift 94UL. While I can burn 93 ethanol free pump gas I find vapor issues a problem. Swift 94UL is nothing more than 100LL without the lead, so such issues are not present.

Considering the recent comments from the regulatory czars, engines will need to change. Direct injection on my Chevrolet truck standard engine (11.5 to 1 pistons) lets me burns 87 octane pump gas. Why can’t Lycoming do the same?

Carl
Liability?

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Liability?
Here is example of how our elected officials (read agency political appointees) can drive evolutionarily change. In addition to regulating out lead from 100LL, they should provide statutory liability relief, creating incentive for Lycoming and anyone else to create such engines. In other words provide solutions in addition to barriers.

We can always dream…..
Carl