- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Exterior Painting

I'm looking for any leads on paint shops and/or DIY training for painting my RV-14A. I'm finding lead times at most paint shops are at least 12 months or more. I'm not shy about painting it myself. I think Sherwin Williams offers some hands-on training with their system, but any other suggestions most welcome.
RV14A Build Log
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=MartysRV14A
Old 06-21-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViator60 View Post
I'm looking for any leads on paint shops and/or DIY training for painting my RV-14A. I'm finding lead times at most paint shops are at least 12 months or more. I'm not shy about painting it myself. I think Sherwin Williams offers some hands-on training with their system, but any other suggestions most welcome.
The paint isn't really the hard part, it's the prep and with a new build there's a lot of fiberglass work to do.

Good shops stay booked.

Consider Evoke aviation at KGAD, award winning painter, 8-12 month lead time, probably more expensive than most, but wow the quality is wow .. wow.

Funny story sort of .. I spent about 2 weeks getting that fairing perfect between the canopy and plexiglass ... first thing they said to me, without being prompted, was "We can fix that for you"
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM

Just don’t get your plane painted in Wickenburg or Douglas, Az.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:46 AM

Default So many choices.

You’ll get a ton of satisfaction out of painting your own plane but you most likely won’t have that award winning Oshkosh finish. I’m the type of builder who wants to do as much as I possibly can by myself. I’ve painted both of my planes and have been extremely satisfied. The first with SW Deltron which was easy to spray and still looks great after 20 years but the over spray and lingering smell in my garage and house almost caused a divorce. The second and latest plane with Stewart’s Systems water based paint done in the garage of a new house with a super nosey HOA. Got it painted without anyone even knowing what I was doing including the wife who I had to show the paint job to prove I was actually spraying. The Stewart’s stuff is easy to clean up, almost no smell but takes a real learning curve to get good results. But once you do figure it out you won’t want to use anything else. On the plus side you can save thousands and thousands of dollars over a professional shop job and be on your own time table. It’s just a matter of how you want the finished results. A really nice plane your proud of that you built yourself or a award winner you wrote a check for.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
The paint isn't really the hard part, it's the prep and with a new build there's a lot of fiberglass work to do.

Good shops stay booked.

Consider Evoke aviation at KGAD, award winning painter, 8-12 month lead time, probably more expensive than most, but wow the quality is wow .. wow.

Funny story sort of .. I spent about 2 weeks getting that fairing perfect between the canopy and plexiglass ... first thing they said to me, without being prompted, was "We can fix that for you"
Thanks. I emailed Evoke, they weren't on my list. I'm OK with a pedestrian paint job with no aspirations for winning awards and really don't mind the process of prospect of painting it myself if need be.
RV14A Build Log
Old 06-22-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post

Good shops stay booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOM View Post
You’ll get a ton of satisfaction out of painting your own plane but you most likely won’t have that award winning Oshkosh finish. I’m the type of builder who wants to do as much as I possibly can by myself. I’ve painted both of my planes and have been extremely satisfied. The first with SW Deltron which was easy to spray and still looks great after 20 years but the over spray and lingering smell in my garage and house almost caused a divorce. The second and latest plane with Stewart’s Systems water based paint done in the garage of a new house with a super nosey HOA. Got it painted without anyone even knowing what I was doing including the wife who I had to show the paint job to prove I was actually spraying. The Stewart’s stuff is easy to clean up, almost no smell but takes a real learning curve to get good results. But once you do figure it out you won’t want to use anything else. On the plus side you can save thousands and thousands of dollars over a professional shop job and be on your own time table. It’s just a matter of how you want the finished results. A really nice plane your proud of that you built yourself or a award winner you wrote a check for.
I sprayed the cabin interior with Stewart Systems in my garage and liked the results. Oh, I had all the usual issues: orange peel, runs, thin spots, dull finish, etc, but was satisfied with the results and pleased that the SS product is easy to clean up and avoided toxic solvents. My main concern, other than developing the right technique for exterior painting, was how well the finished held up. I noticed the finish dissolves readily in acetone. How has yours held up?
RV14A Build Log
Old 06-22-2021, 05:57 AM

I took the Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings training course in September of 2016; I recommend it. You can find the account of my experience in my Blogspot blog; see the link in my signature and search for the date. One important lesson I learned the hard way: don't order your paint supplies until you are ready to use them. I wasted a great deal of money on material that expired because I ordered it way too early.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly started; still painting.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:26 AM

I strongly agree with the satisfaction of painting your own. No, not award winning, but you can achieve great results as a first timer. It'll take time (4+ months) and you'll likely spend $4-5K on materials and equipment, but that's a far cry from what you'll pay someone to do it. You can find lots of local help too by talking to any Autobody shop. We used PPG products for the most part and was very happy with the final product.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...55277828056959
Old 06-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViator60 View Post
I sprayed the cabin interior with Stewart Systems in my garage and liked the results. Oh, I had all the usual issues: orange peel, runs, thin spots, dull finish, etc, but was satisfied with the results and pleased that the SS product is easy to clean up and avoided toxic solvents. My main concern, other than developing the right technique for exterior painting, was how well the finished held up. I noticed the finish dissolves readily in acetone. How has yours held up?
After I finally learned how to apply it properly the results were as good as any factory spam can. My problem was that I had done a lot of painting with conventional auto paint and those techniques slowed down the learning curve for the Stewart’s. The paint job is two years old now with plenty of hours of bugs slamming into it and it still looks like the day I painted it. A couple scratches on the wheel paints we’re easily repaired.
It’s a good serviceable paint job but definitely wouldn’t win any awards against those 30K jobs you see at Oshkosh. Some of them are truly works of art.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Paint prep

Prep is 90%. However, Cut & Buff will fix a multitude of errors. I am painting all the fiberglass and vinyl wrapping the rest.
Photo is a wingtip after Cut & Buff
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200819_182817.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	12918
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.