What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

steerable

HansLab

Well Known Member
just a thought, after almost hitting the taxiway lights twice during taxiing with strong sidewinds (I now know what the 30Kt border is for):

How hard would it be to add something like Bowden cables to the Nosewheel in some way to make it steerable? Aren' t there any RV types that already have such an improvement that can be copied?

My $0.02 for what it's worth ... You're basically trying to hack your way out of the limits of the aircraft ... I would just fly within the limits ... or perhaps consider a more robust aircraft if your mission requires it :)

My $0.02 for what it's worth ... You're basically trying to hack your way out of the limits of the aircraft ... I would just fly within the limits ... or perhaps consider a more robust aircraft if your mission requires it :)

I agree, and make sure the nose fork friction is adjusted per the KAI.

Aircraft that have nose wheel steering typically also have a mechanism built into the nose wheel strut that centers the nose gear and essentially disconnects it from the rudder system when the weight comes off the wheels so that if you're landing in a howling crosswind with lots of rudder, you're not landing with the nose gear cocked to one side.

There are light sports aircraft that have steerable nose wheels like Tecnam and Sling.
I’ve flown Tecnams in a flight school as a flight instructor and they’re excellent flys similar to the RV-12 but their ground handling is excellent. However, they can’t be purchased as kit and personality I don’t want to deal with a S-LSA.
I haven’t flown the Sling aircraft but there one being completed here on our airstrip. It looks really good but have not flown it.
Vans is now recommending that we replace the nose gear due to failure. I sure hate to go through that. If Vans only would only offer it also as a steerable nose wheel I’d would be first in line. I like the way the RV-12 flys but not the ground handling. I’ve given thousands of hours of flight instruction and own and fly a RV-12 but wouldn’t use it for flight instruction. I know it is used for flight instruction but I will not. I did and would use a Tecnam anytime.

If Vans only would only offer it also as a steerable nose wheel I’d would be first in line. I like the way the RV-12 flys but not the ground handling. I’ve given thousands of hours of flight instruction and own and fly a RV-12 but wouldn’t use it for flight instruction. I know it is used for flight instruction but I will not. I did and would use a Tecnam anytime.

I guess it comes down to what you're used to.. I learned to fly in the 70's in Grumman Lynx, Cheetah and Tigers.. All have non-steerable nose wheels. The RV12 seems normal to me and I haven't had any issues with ground handling. Just have to keep in mind that at some point the rudder stops being effective and you need to be ready to apply a little braking if needed...I love being able to turn on a dime in a Grumman and Van's..

To the OP.. If you have Experimental, anything's possible, but you have to decide if the juice is really worth the squeeze to you.. Be careful out there!

Last edited:
Not a whole lot different than tail wheel ops except loose end is in the front. Best to practice and become proficient with use of rudder pedals / brakes. With practice and knowing aircraft / pilot limitations, ground handling becomes second nature...

There are light sports aircraft that have steerable nose wheels like Tecnam and Sling.
I’ve flown Tecnams in a flight school as a flight instructor and they’re excellent flys similar to the RV-12 but their ground handling is excellent. However, they can’t be purchased as kit and personality I don’t want to deal with a S-LSA.
I haven’t flown the Sling aircraft but there one being completed here on our airstrip. It looks really good but have not flown it.
Vans is now recommending that we replace the nose gear due to failure. I sure hate to go through that. If Vans only would only offer it also as a steerable nose wheel I’d would be first in line. I like the way the RV-12 flys but not the ground handling. I’ve given thousands of hours of flight instruction and own and fly a RV-12 but wouldn’t use it for flight instruction. I know it is used for flight instruction but I will not. I did and would use a Tecnam anytime.

Entitled to your opinion, of course, but there are quite a few flight schools using RV-12's now and a lot of people have earned pilot certificates having been trained in one.

Is it different? Yes.

In the same way that all of the other tri-gear RV's are. But that doesn't mean someone can't learn to fly in an airplane equipped that way.

In reality, what does a new student have to compare it too? If an already certificated pilot can become proficient at flying an airplane with a free swivel nose wheel (tri-gear RV's, Glastar Sportsman, Cirrus, etc.), why is it any different for a student to learn that from the start?

I have no problem with the -12 steering. The only negative is you need to be more conscious of your brake condition since it will affect not only your stopping but also steering.

I landed once after multiple short field practice landings. On the last one the brakes faded and I was unable to steer to the right running off the runway. No damage but a lesson learned.

All of the certified Grumman singles used free castoring nosewheel with differential braking for steering, and thousands of pilots earned their private licenses in them with no difficulty at all. The turning radius available with a castoring nose wheel was actually a selling point!

My little jet has a steerable nosewheel BTW - and with steering comes the possibility of shimmy, which a number of Subsonex pilots (including me) have experienced to some extent. Preventing it means meticulous attention to cable tensions and any potential wear in the components….but the jet isn’t a “jump in anytime and the heck with maintenance checks” airplane anyway….. I personally wouldn't want to have to fool around with that kind of thing in my RV’s…..

Last edited:
Back