- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Builders class

I have ordered the 10. We are looking for a builders class. They seem to be very few and full. The biggest obstacle I have to face is I work weekends and have very little luck getting a weekend off. We are in south eastern Texas. Any help would be great. We can travel and are looking for a two day class.

TIA
Old 06-13-2021, 06:32 PM

Go to Airventure? The 101 classes are pretty much every day.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 PM

I am unable to get that kinda off time off, otherwise that is the first one we thought of.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Pesos View Post
I have ordered the 10. We are looking for a builders class. They seem to be very few and full. The biggest obstacle I have to face is I work weekends and have very little luck getting a weekend off. We are in south eastern Texas. Any help would be great. We can travel and are looking for a two day class.
If you can't find an actual class then what you need is a good riveting primer. That will get you going, everything else is learn as you go.

I took the EAA class and while it was fun, ultimately just practicing on some scrap did more for me.

Vans makes practice kits, order two.

Then, if you don't already have tools, find someone near you with a pneumatic squeezer and a rivet gun and get to work on the practice kits.

Any builder's class, while you'll learn a few things, isn't going to teach you how to build your 10, you'll be teaching yourself. The process is very rewarding, fun, and frankly not all that hard (but be plenty of frustration ).

This forum is your #1 resource for learning.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-14-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
If you can't find an actual class then what you need is a good riveting primer. That will get you going, everything else is learn as you go.

I took the EAA class and while it was fun, ultimately just practicing on some scrap did more for me.

Vans makes practice kits, order two.

Then, if you don't already have tools, find someone near you with a pneumatic squeezer and a rivet gun and get to work on the practice kits.

Any builder's class, while you'll learn a few things, isn't going to teach you how to build your 10, you'll be teaching yourself. The process is very rewarding, fun, and frankly not all that hard (but be plenty of frustration ).

This forum is your #1 resource for learning.

Thank you, I understand the principles in general. What Iím wanting to learn in determining a good rivet from bad, and general building procedures (ie bolts go in and aft, washer only needed on nuts)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Pesos View Post
Thank you, I understand the principles in general. What Iím wanting to learn in determining a good rivet from bad, and general building procedures (ie bolts go in and aft, washer only needed on nuts)
A class would be great if you can find one.

The instructions will guide you through most of this ... Check out "Section 5" in the manual for "best practices" and such ... lots of detail and pics on exactly that.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM

Or maybe just buy the Vans toolbox kit (or any of their practice kits) and make a local A&P buddy who can answer all your questions?

The EAA class you basically just spend two days learning reallllly basic stuff that any A&P can show you how to do in about 20 minutes.

It was worth doing IMO but it didn't answer all my questions, more just a reality check that showed me that any idiot can smash a rivet.

I didn't even know what questions to ask until I started building my 14.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Default How to do it

When I was first learning how to fly the instructor made a very good quote.
I'm here to teach you how to fly, But, What I'm really here for is to keep you alive while you teach your self how to fly.
As far as pertaining to building.
You have to develop the skills to do it. Not very difficult either. VAF and community will give you lots of support if you want it. There are lots of people building and pounding rivets.
I started back in 1991 with no internet or many people building "airplanes".
I'm sure you can do it. Practice practice practice and soon you'll be a pro.
My three cents worth Art
Old 06-14-2021, 10:47 AM

Default Mentor

Attend a local EAA Chapter meeting and ask if anyone would like to Mentor. I'm sure someone will volunteer. It's fun.
You'll learn all you need in an evening building a tool box.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
I'm sure you can do it. Practice practice practice and soon you'll be a pro.
My three cents worth Art
+1

After working on a couple Vans practice kits, get some sheet metal from aircraft spruce and a bunch of AN470 and AN426 rivets and practice some more. Hold the rivet gun with your right hand and change to left hand to get the feel of how your rivet quality changes as you switch to your non-dominant hand. It should not take long. A couple of weekend of practice is all it takes.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021