camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Default You're the builder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
Try this -- Mash the dimple flat with the flat sets (you do have flat sets, right?).

Dress (debur) the correct hole, dimple the correct hole.

Assemble trailing edge as per plans - once done, fill in the remaining "snow man" with some epoxy/resin filler (west systems 105/206 + milled fiber filler). Sand/paint to match.
Ditto - If you use proseal for the wedge it will be self filling and that extra hole will have a very minimal effect on strength when bonded to the wedge. Smooth and sand with filler and paint, if you are going for perfection buy a skin, I bought 2 new rudder skins due to my inexperience with the edge forming tool. But as always see what Vans has to say they are the strength gurus.
RV-14A #140790
EMP Kit - Complete
WING Kit - In Work
Fuselage Kit - On Order...
N721RV - Reserved
Old 05-26-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullock View Post
Ditto - If you use proseal for the wedge it will be self filling and that extra hole will have a very minimal effect on strength when bonded to the wedge. Smooth and sand with filler and paint, if you are going for perfection buy a skin, I bought 2 new rudder skins due to my inexperience with the edge forming tool. But as always see what Vans has to say they are the strength gurus.
I posted the response from Vans a few posts ago. Very similar to this
Old 05-26-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJarreau View Post
Dan and Bill,

Please help me understand why the skin should be replaced. I am NOT questioning your judgment, just trying to learn.

Thanks,
Mike
Definitely not required. Flatten it, deburr best you can, drill another hole and move on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ..._as=subscriber

"Stu"
Moose Jaw, SK
7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
8 #82842 - C-FSBG - built - sold
4 #2723 - C-GVBX - built - flying!!!!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM

thanks for the feedback from Vans Ray

Always something to learn... the problem is being at an age where you forget more things in one day than you learn, go figure

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 05-26-2021, 12:32 PM

I always kept a "next order from Vans" shopping list next to my build log. Whenever I made a mistake I just added the part to the list. Batching them up like this (or waiting for the next kit, as elev666 suggested) helps save on shipping.

Never be shy about asking Vans. Builder support is part of the price of these kits. I've asked them so many questions they are probably tired of hearing from me. I also decided early on that my personal minimums were: 1. If it's a control surface or major structural piece, replace it even if it can be repaired, and 2. Otherwise try the repair first. Not flying yet, so I guess we'll see if that served me well. Based on these minimums, I had to replace my incorrectly built longerons, which was painful.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Everything done that can be done at home. Waiting for hangar to finish up.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:08 PM

This thread is a perfect example of why I spend very little time here anymore. The "oh my GOD! You better not do that or you'll end up in a smoking hole.", or "if you had ANY SELF RESPECT AT ALL you wouldn't even think of trying to repair that!" responses don't do anyone any good at all. It took quite a while before someone with a reasoned educational answer spoke up. I'm glad they did though. The fact is that if the oops is repairable, it's repairable. If the builder opts to do that rather than throwing money at it, that's his option. He's neither foolish or necessarily sloppy with the decision. Ya'all should try presenting his options without the pre-judgement. Much more effective.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetail88 View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why I spend very little time here anymore. The "oh my GOD! You better not do that or you'll end up in a smoking hole.", or "if you had ANY SELF RESPECT AT ALL you wouldn't even think of trying to repair that!" responses don't do anyone any good at all. It took quite a while before someone with a reasoned educational answer spoke up. I'm glad they did though. The fact is that if the oops is repairable, it's repairable. If the builder opts to do that rather than throwing money at it, that's his option. He's neither foolish or necessarily sloppy with the decision. Ya'all should try presenting his options without the pre-judgement. Much more effective.
Jesse:

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:58 AM

Jesse my friend, methinks you were having a bad day.

Opinion is unavoidable here. I don't think anyone offered judgement. There are valid arguments for both repair and replacement. Different builders will be inclined toward one or the other for different reasons, and for some it will be a coin flip.

On an entirely practical level, structural issues should usually go to the Vans tech line, while suggesting a new skin is a no-question-about-it, now and forever.

Speaking for myself, I'll encourage perfection, even if impossible to achieve. I've simply seen too many projects where things went down a slippery slope.

Aim high. Remember, half the RV fleet is below average.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
There’s a strong argument to be made that time is money and replacement is better than repair. I don’t see much judgement, just ideas and opinions. And he did, after all, ask.

Personally, I welcome judgement, it’s not a bad thing, how else am I to improve?
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 05-28-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Agree

Quote:
One reason why I'm very careful what I ask and how I reply.
Also why I started a Colorado RV forum.
No offense. I still donate.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.