What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation time - VFR vs IFR avionics package

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Hi there

I'm trying to calculate the installation times for various avionics packages on the RV-12iS and, yes, I realize that everyone is different. I'm just trying to ballpark how many more hours are involved in the Garmin IFR package (full bore) vs the Garmin or Dynon VFR package (also including all the bells and whistles).

I just need people to post which package they installed and consult their builder log program and report the total hours. I'll do all the math.

And thank you

Keep it Simple

I've installed all 3 types of packages in RV-12iS airplanes.

The IFR is moderately harder to install than either VFR system, with the GTN650 being such a large unit in an already tight panel. Also there is the NAV antenna to rig. If your tailcone is already complete you will have to army crawl back there to run the coax cable.

Plan on a full day or two additional labor for the IFR system.

Both the VFR Dynon and Garmin systems are about equal in both installation and function all things considered. The only major difference is some additional structure reliefs and nutplate arrangements for the Garmin screens. (nothing too crazy)

I think it boils down to what you will be doing with the airplane. Are you going to be flying in IMC conditions... REALLY? If yes, then it makes sense, but otherwise the GTN is quite overkill for what the RV-12's mission is.

I don't have an exact number, but I believe the IFR package adds in the neighborhood of 14 pounds to the aircraft (The new GTN650NXi is a bit lighter.) Also consider the other IFR equipment that is not included in the avionics.

Keep it simple. A single screen EFIS and the GTR 200 radio will do 95% of what the airplane is capable of. Want to be fancy? Add the autopilot and GTR200B (bluetooth music) and now you are up to 99%.

Any way you cut the cake you are sure to have fun with the airplane, enjoy!

Bob,

I don't have actual hours to report, but I can say that my GNS430W has the most connections of any of units that are in my radio stack. It also results in the need for a GAD29 for ARINC conversion. Not only the physical connections but there is more time required to figure out what interfaces (serial & ARINC). Folks that are more familiar with these interfaces and what data is carried on each interface could do it much faster of course.

Advanced Flight Systems can build you a real nice "quick panel" to your specifications that will save you considerable time. They have built several panels for me and I could not be happier with the results.

Advanced Flight Systems can build you a real nice "quick panel" to your specifications that will save you considerable time. They have built several panels for me and I could not be happier with the results.

I'm building to LSA specs. Not an option. The Garmin package is the only option.

But out of curiosity, what was your total install time on the avionics category on your RV-12?

Bob,
I don't know if it would help at all but I was just given a 30 hour quote to install a 430W in my panel with an existing GRT EFIS panel.
Take care.
John

Back