What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello Garmin

Larco

Well Known Member
My question is, in an RV seven with a tip up canopy how important is it to have a cooling fan for a 530 W? I do have a cooling fan now, It is getting close to needing a replacement because of Noise so the question is how necessary is the cooling fan? Thank you very much

Super important! It can get very hot in the dead space behind the panel and having a tip-up doesn't help when the aircraft is parked. I've come back from lunch a couple of times to find the cockpit very hot, even with the canopy latch resting on the roll bar, and temps behind the panel even hotter. The Blue Mountain EFIS would sometimes refuse to boot until the engine had been running (with the canopy cracked open to get a blast of air in) and when it did it would report a system temperature well over 100 degrees!

You can look for whisper system fans, which are much quieter than the old computer fans, as a good replacement. I also recommend venting the glare shield to keep from trapping hot air behind the panel.

Back