What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spinning in the Sun... with smoke

wow that was amazing, what height where you at when you started and at what height did you finish.

I notice that you have recovered within 3 seconds of applying opposite rudder

Cheers

Wow that was amazing, what height where you at when you started and at what height did you finish.

I notice that you have recovered within 3 seconds of applying opposite rudder

Cheers

And your conclusion?

Outstanding, the airflow over the emp is interesting!

So - I see you have a new rudder - the old 7, or 8, or latest 6 with .020 skin. Assuming you installed it for speed confidence, and this video is a field test of spin recovery, what is your conclusion of the comparison back to the tall/9 rudder recovery!!?!?!

Last edited:
I like the -8 rudder...

Outstanding, the airflow over the emp is interesting!

So - I see you have a new rudder - the old 7, or 8, or latest 6 with .020 skin. Assuming you installed it for speed confidence, and this video is a field test of spin recovery, what is your conclusion of the comparison back to the tall/9 rudder recovery!!?!?!

My original -7 rudder had accumulated too many cracks at the stiffener ends to go another year with it at Reno... it had been on my list to test out a -8 rudder for potential speed advantage and better flutter resistance and I am glad that I did it.

The -8 has a thicker skin (.20 vs .16) and folded trailing edge.

Every aircraft and loading conditions when testing are different, and my spin testing comparison between the two rudders was not meticulous... for me, the two rudders are very similar in spins.

In general cruise flight, the larger 7/9 rudder resists movement and tends to hold track better. The -8 rudder will move with very light foot pressure.

Flying at maneuvering speeds the 7/9 rudder feels like it is pushing the airplane around with heavy pressure while the -8 rudder is much more fluid and coordinated. This is quite nice.

The 7/9 rudder is much nicer tracking on the ground with the tail in the air at less than flying speeds... there is significant resistance to movement and I could drive around with the tail in the air without much attention. With the -8 rudder you have to be far more attentive.

For me, the -8 rudder is a keeper.

My original -7 rudder had accumulated too many cracks at the stiffener ends to go another year with it at Reno... it had been on my list to test out a -8 rudder for potential speed advantage and better flutter resistance and I am glad that I did it.

The -8 has a thicker skin (.20 vs .16) and folded trailing edge.

Every aircraft and loading conditions when testing are different, and my spin testing comparison between the two rudders was not meticulous... for me, the two rudders are very similar in spins.

In general cruise flight, the larger 7/9 rudder resists movement and tends to hold track better. The -8 rudder will move with very light foot pressure.

Flying at maneuvering speeds the 7/9 rudder feels like it is pushing the airplane around with heavy pressure while the -8 rudder is much more fluid and coordinated. This is quite nice.

The 7/9 rudder is much nicer tracking on the ground with the tail in the air at less than flying speeds... there is significant resistance to movement and I could drive around with the tail in the air without much attention. With the -8 rudder you have to be far more attentive.

For me, the -8 rudder is a keeper.

Thanks for an excellent summary, it takes out much of the uncertainty of a rudder change. My tall-7 will be on for first flight, but the -8 is standing by. Excellent to hear that your plane had little difference, I could have imagined the heavier engine up front might have revealed any difference.

Pausing that video right at the end where the stall, spin, and recovery track are visible is outstanding!

the smoke really held together nicely

The day was perfect for hanging smoke :)

o4S.jpg

Back