What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield Trim

Graham

Has anybody used the Classic Aero Designs RV7 Glareshield Trim on an RV6?

If so what was their experience?

Thank You
Graham
New Zealand

I purchased it on mine. Had to perform some minor trimming but was very pleased with the outcome. I hate to say it but I forgot to take any pictures. The top skin was cleocoed in place and the glare shield trim was fitted. The glare shield trim and top skin was then removed so that I can have better access to install my avionics.

Graham

I spoke to Luke at Classic aero about this when I was ordering my aviator seats and other things for my 6. He explained that due to inconsistency in the construction of 6s, their 7 glareshield trim could not be assumed to fit a 6. He suggested tracing the glareshield curvature of a 7 onto a piece of paper and measuring it against my 6.

In my case it wasn't even close. Suggest you find a 7 and conduct a similar comparison. If it matches I think you could order the glareshield trim with confidence. If not, theres a project for you. Or if your 6 is still under construction I imagine you could cut the glareshield to match the trim.

Mal

Last edited:
One thing about the installation. Classic Aero supplied a template that I laid on the top skin. I traced the line, trimmed back the skin in a couple of places, drilled the holes, and the glare shield fit perfectly.

Glareshield trim pictures

I installed the glareshield trim and took some photos.

FP07072017A0000L.jpg

FP07072017A0000M.jpg

FP07072017A0000N.jpg

FP07072017A0000O.jpg

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. In the end I borrowed an RV7 glareshield trim and trial fitted it. As a result I am trimming 0.75" off my glareshield "trailing edge" over most of its width. Have bitten the bullet & ordered a Trim from Classic, so will report back how well it fits.

Back