- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Default Which Nut Plate Jigs?

I'm looking to get some nut plate jigs and nothing popped up when I searched this topic. Anyone have any recommendations on what size nut plate jigs a person needs to complete an RV-7 QB? I'm still on the empennage, so haven't gotten far enough to understand what nut plates are used where.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM

Default You can get by with one

If you get a nutplate jig for a number 6 screw that does both double and single wing nut plates, you won’t need any others for an RV build.
Just start with a #28 drill bit for a number 6 screw, drill the lug holes and then drill out the center hole to the correct size for your screw, since the nutplates have the same wing dimension in most cases.
VANs uses almost all #8 nut plates, except for a few larger ones, but you may want to use smaller #6 screws in some places.
Mini nutplates and larger nut plates, like some 1/4” nut plates, are different but for those few you can use the nit plate itself as the jig. A little slower but there aren’t that many in an RV build.

For an example of this type jig, search on the following;
Nut Plate Jig #6 Single Wing Standard 518G
Legend Cub

Last edited by sf3543 : 07-20-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf3543 View Post
If you get a nutplate jig for a number 6 screw that does both double and single wing nut plates, you won’t need any others for an RV build.
Just start with a #28 drill bit for a number 6 screw, drill the lug holes and then drill out the center hole to the correct size for your screw, since the nutplates have the same wing dimension in most cases.
VANs uses almost all #8 nut plates, except for a few larger ones, but you may want to use smaller #6 screws in some places.
Mini nutplates and larger nut plates, like some 1/4” nut plates, are different but for those few you can use the nit plate itself as the jig. A little slower but there aren’t that many in an RV build.

For an example of this type jig, search on the following;
Nut Plate Jig #6 Single Wing Standard 518G
I would agree in concept with Steve. Only difference is that I had one with a #40 pilot instead of a #6 screw pilot. It worked fine. I had plenty of other jigs obtained through an ebay tool purchase. Used them some but the #40 piloted one was my go to. Either one would work I think.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.

Last edited by rzbill : 07-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 AM

I just purchased the #6 variant one from ACS - it's a #6 which will do both single and double lugs (if that's the right terminology). I'm installing empennage tips with #6 screws.

(moderators: it's OK to link to VAF advertisers, correct?)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM

Gee, I just use another nutplate. Put a screw or a cleco in to hold it, drill one rivet hole. Drop a cleco in there, drill the other. Once in a while, rivet the nutplate to the airframe and use another one as the tool.

Why bother with a special tool?

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 07-20-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Default me too

I just use a nut plate. Take a standard machine screw, put a nut on it, drill the screw hole, thread screw into nut plate a couple of threads, run the nut down to hold it, drill away...

No muss, no fuss, no wrenches required...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+