What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rib W-311 Connection to spar

RV3Kev

Dear Guys

I have an issues with the angle bracket required to connect rib w-331 to the spar caps ( see attached photo, I hope). The distanced called from the top of the spar cap to the rivet holes is 3/8 or 6/16th. The rivets required an edge distance of 4/16, the thickness of the angle is 1/16 which totals 5/16, leaving 1/16 between the angle and the bottom of the cut section.

How ever this does not allow for the internal 1/8” radius of the 3/4x3/4 angle.
If you try to use the dimensions given, the rib does not sit correctly on the flat area of the angle.

Could I increase the 3/8” by another 1/8” to 1/2” ? This would leave 1/4” edge distance from the rivets to the top of the angle and allow more material to be removed from the rib?

Or, build as drawn and allow the rib to conform to the internal radius and put a radius in the corner of the cut out to decrease the stress from the bending the would occur in the corner?

Opinions?

50568651508_fbbae4715e_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to recall if I had similar queries when building my wings, it was so long ago... I don't think so and looking at the best pic I have (unfortunately blurry) it appears that all fitted together no problems.
I would suggest doing what you have to do to make it fit to your satisfaction.

Russell

Attachments

• DSCF2298.JPG
    DSCF2298.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF2312.JPG
    DSCF2312.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 164
Dear Russell

Thanks for the reply. Looking at your picture, the angle is on the inside on the rib while the drawing indicates that it fits on the outside. The way you have it seems more logical.

Yes Kev I did put it on the inside and I couldn't tell you if I did that deliberately at the time (for best fit) or if I didn't maintain my usual strict adherence to the plans by way of an oversight... Good luck with yours.

Russell

Back