What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus 3i to AFS/GRT using Wifi Bridge. Anyone?

ArjanPlomp

Hi All,

We just installed the Stratus ES and the Stratus 3i. Even though the 3i supports the Open ADSB mode GDL-90 protocol, it only outputs that over WiFi (to be used on phone/tablet apps like Foreflight, WingX, FlyQ, etc). However, it does NOT have a serial RS232 output to interface with older Advanced Flight Systems or GRT EFIS's.

So I am thinking about using a WiFi bridge so it can interface to our AFS 3400s over RS232 serial. Before I try to reinvent the wheel: has anyone tried this and had any success? If so, willing to share some details?
I am thinking of using one of these:
http://www.usconverters.com/serial-rs232-wi-fi-adapter

Any input would be appreciated!

I'm in the same situation, having installed a Flight Data Systems receiver, simply because it had the requisite RS232 interface capability to provide data to my GRT EFIS equipment. Sadly it's a single-frequency 978 receiver and I want to upgrade to a dual-frequency unit, without breaking the bank. I would welcome haring from others who have expanded the list of possible devices through the use of a wifi bridge or similar.

I'm in the same situation, having installed a Flight Data Systems receiver, simply because it had the requisite RS232 interface capability to provide data to my GRT EFIS equipment. Sadly it's a single-frequency 978 receiver and I want to upgrade to a dual-frequency unit, without breaking the bank. I would welcome haring from others who have expanded the list of possible devices through the use of a wifi bridge or similar.

If your GRT is an HX or HXr (not an HS or earlier) it can interface via USB. e.g., I use a dual band Skyradar D2, USB to an HX.

Upgrade to an AF-5000 with WiFi adapter and it should work if the Stratus is now sending GDL90 data. The old CPU in the 3400s is really slow and can barely handle ADSB data.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

If your GRT is an HX or HXr (not an HS or earlier) it can interface via USB. e.g., I use a dual band Skyradar D2, USB to an HX.

Mine is indeed an HX... Would rather not go the USB route since I currently have RS232 running from the existing location of the 978 receiver, and I'd have to install a powered USB hub as I already have both ports in use. Still, this might end up being the least painful way to go. I appreciate your suggestion, Bob.

Upgrade to an AF-5000 with WiFi adapter and it should work if the Stratus is now sending GDL90 data. The old CPU in the 3400s is really slow and can barely handle ADSB data.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Yes, I believe we installed these units (we have 2 of them in our RV8) almost 10 years ago. We are thinking about upgrading, but it is a matter of $ and time.

The Stratus 3i is now able to sent GDL90 data.

I've got an AFS 4500 and was wondering if I could do the same thing with my Uavionix Sky Sensor. Anyone get this working?

Back