What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temperature

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
Today I flew and found my oil temp to be: 151...my head temp to be: 149 so lots of yellow showing flashing...I taped a piece of aluminum tape to oil cooler covering about a quarter or less...went flying..oil temp was up to 201 at one point..still head temp 149...headed home...now question is do I tape over water radiator to raise head temp or what???? Yes the Northwest is cool..today 52 degrees...but if I am to fly over mountains into hotter temps...how do I regulate this stuff??

Today I flew and found my oil temp to be: 151...my head temp to be: 149 so lots of yellow showing flashing...I taped a piece of aluminum tape to oil cooler covering about a quarter or less...went flying..oil temp was up to 201 at one point..still head temp 149...headed home...now question is do I tape over water radiator to raise head temp or what???? Yes the Northwest is cool..today 52 degrees...but if I am to fly over mountains into hotter temps...how do I regulate this stuff??

For what it's worth. I had trouble getting the Rotax 912 up to temperature in my Rans S-6S in winter, so had to do the tape trick on the oil cooler (athough I didn't have the temp discrepancy you describe). Anyway, last spring, when I did the 5 year hose change out, I installed an oil thermostat (well ok.......I helped my Rotax mechanic install it). This winter I didn't have to use tape to get it up to temp and it heats up twice as fast.

Jim

For what it's worth. I had trouble getting the Rotax 912 up to temperature in my Rans S-6S in winter, so had to do the tape trick on the oil cooler (athough I didn't have the temp discrepancy you describe). Anyway, last spring, when I did the 5 year hose change out, I installed an oil thermostat (well ok.......I helped my Rotax mechanic install it). This winter I didn't have to use tape to get it up to temp and it heats up twice as fast.

Jim
Did you go with the TS Flightlines kit, or roll your own solution? I thought about installing the kit but decided that $700 would buy an awful lot of Gorilla Tape. When it's time to replace the oil lines I may install the valve, I see Spruce sells them now.

Did you go with the TS Flightlines kit, or roll your own solution? I thought about installing the kit but decided that $700 would buy an awful lot of Gorilla Tape. When it's time to replace the oil lines I may install the valve, I see Spruce sells them now.

It wasn't the TS Flightlines kit. It was one that was compatible with Rotax fittings and hoses. I'll try and get some more info put together for you. When we did the 5 year hose change last spring, we also did the soft start modules and thermostat at the same time.

Jim

I made up a couple of different size oil cooler block off plates to use for different temps. There easy to change out. Made a few different length plates for the radiator too.Need at least 180-190 to get any kind of heat. Have to take the top cowl off to change but that's easy. Look up Bender baffle if you want to make an adjustable dampener door to control the coolant temp..

I build a Kitfox Classic with a 912 80HP on it, to which I added both an oil thermostat http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/remote-oil-thermostat.htm and a cooler thermostat (can't recall that supplier - but it was a similar apparatus).
Worked as a charm from day 1.
The goal was to save fuel and time in the colder season, and it was astonishing to experience what a difference these little buggers made.
I kept a firm eye on the temps during run-up: these things do fail, you know? But they never let me down.

As I understood a CVV isn't necessary in RV12's, I will see if hat goes for oil and coolant temps, as well. These thermostats don't take much space (they do take lots of hoses, though), although their weight is an issue.

Some year building or so before I can add something useful to that discussion.
Keep on building!!

Sorry for those that have seen this before but - -

Thermostassis for the oil.

Heater Damper Door for water temps ( which makes the heater work very well ).

You can do a search for these. They make the plane very comfortable in all seasons.

I had the same problem with low CHT on cold days. I noticed the temps raised slightly when I pulled on the cabin heat. I now put tape over about half or more of the heater vent holes coming into the cabin. I can now adjust the CHT simply by turning on and off the cabin heat. By turning on the heat it restricts the amount of air passing through the radiator.

Back