What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Transfer System for 93 Octane Mogas

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I use 93 Octane E10 in my RV-12 and need to cart fuel from the local gas station to the airplane. I have found a good container system which does not leak and transfers fuel at a fast delivery rate. The system works very well with no gas smell inside my car and no spillage when transferring into the RV-12 filler neck. I transport ten gallons at a time using two five-gallon cans of fuel.

Start out by buying Briggs & Stratton 5 gallon gas cans and then throw away the filler spout. Buy EZ-POUR 40051 HI FLO Universal Replacement Water Gas Spout And Vent Kit on eBay. The EZ-POUR spout fits directly on the plastic fuel can and forms a leak proof seal. When transferring fuel into the airplane the spout can be bent and inserted into the filler neck before tipping the can to begin fuel flow.
-
i4ny9i.jpg

-
2ljp79z.png

-
1zcjwur.png

I do the same thing ,it works fine, no need to spend big bucks on a fuel caddy. Menards sells the old style spouts too.

A pox on the do-gooder who did away with vented gas cans and free flow nozzles! I have two left before the nanny state made me safe. I have punctured a vent in my new ones and use the nozzle from the old ones. That stupid pistol grip fill valve on the new ones is terrible, and on even more recent gas cans it has got worse!

I got mine at Tractor Supply Company, I think they were about $11 a set. You get an extra spout which fits onto an existing spout and helps to bend the spout into the gas tank.

I found you need to check the rubber washer before you attach to can because it can leak at that point.

There is a mesh between fuel and spout which in my case caught some bits of plastic from drilling a small hole for the vent.

Next time I would place the vent higher than in the first picture. I placed mine as per the picture and I find a small amount of fuel sloshes through the vent even pressed down tightly and so I get a gas smell sometimes.

Still, I can pout 5 gallons in about 30 seconds which is great.

I spoke at length with one of the designers of the black-and-green spout pictured in the first post. As it turns out, the do-gooders are the EPA, mandating lower flow rates to encourage better vapor control. I wouldn't have thought that higher flow rates would have led to creating a greater quantity of vapor, but that seems to be the case.

The black-and-green nozzles were very problematic; I have a dozen of them here, provided at no charge by the manufacturer, in hopes that I would find four functional replacements for the four I had originally purchased. Yes, I purchased four, and had four fail within the first 5-gallon can's worth of fuel. That's what spurred the conversation with the design office. At least she was honest and admitted it was a flawed design, built in an attempt to meet an even-more-flawed EPA spec.

The 5 gal cans were way too heavy for me to lift and hold while pouring into the tank comfortably so I ended up getting a Flo Fast pump. I pour my fuel from my 5 gal containers into the Flo Fast container through a Mr Funnel then pump it up into the RV-12 tank. Seems to work well ...

I use Flo fast too

I drive to a station that sells 91 ethanol free gas and fill 2-5gal, 14 gal caddy (a guy at the station helps me lift it into my truck), and the Flo-fast (7gal) tank. I use the filter funnel to transfer gas to the Flo-fast tank to dispense in the plane. Keeps me from hoisting those 5 gal contains and pouring up at shoulder level. :)

I have given up on the newer 5 gallon cans with the valve type nozzles. Race fuel jugs are the way to go for multiple reasons. They have good quality leak proof cap seals, a snap open type vent, are available in multiple shapes and handle configurations and the best part is they have a threaded plug in the cap that accepts a NPT to hose barb fitting that allows a large diameter tygon tube to be added for a nozzle/spout.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/sea...toview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/sum-g7997

great ideas!

....so it's come to this eh?..... even the vendor selling gas cans has to say this....

"...Like the utility jug this spout fits, it is not to be used with any fuel"

so they are off the hook for selling non-EPA fuel containers.

hmmmm.:rolleyes:

Flo Fast Pump

I looked at the flo fast pump, how do you guys ground the pump during refueling.

I looked at the flo fast pump, how do you guys ground the pump during refueling.

It has a grounding cable with an alligator clip that can be attached to some convenient point.

I like the Flo Fast pump but you need to be a bit careful with it. When its container is empty it's very top heavy and can be easily tipped over. If it hits the floor wrong when that happens it can break the tube. Easily replaced but I don't leave it empty any more.

I also had a problem when one of the seals started leaking but they immediately replaced the seal without any problem. Again, it was easily replaced.

Last edited:
I use a 50' aircraft grounding cable keeping my 12 grounded whenever it is in the hangar. One like this. My big airplane buddy tells me this is righteous.
i-BpZp7j2.jpg

For fueling I pull the airplane outside the hanger and leave the ground cable clipped on the tail tie-down. Then once outside, I clip the Flo Fast ground cable onto the tail tie ring as well. The latest Flo Fast pump (pro model) has a fine screen in the pick-up, so I no longer use a funnel screen.
i-THp7KKJ-L.jpg

My hanger neighbor has one and loves it.
I have the hand held one that works pretty good.
I cut the side tabs off the filler end and taped a paint stick cross wise about 13 inches up from the end and it shuts off when tank is full the same every time.
Terry

Picture?

Jim, Terry,

Thanks for the feedback. Terry I'm still trying to picture your paint stick adaptation but don't think I get it. Any pictures of it?

Tom

Gas Tapper

Has anyone had experience with the Gas Tapper? Just found it on the web. It is an electric transfer system that pumps from your auto fuel tank into the plane. Looks pretty cool; easy to use, self storing, non-fume case, for $139.00. Only drawback is it's flow rate of about 0.6gal/minute.

That's over 20 minutes for a typical fill up. Not really practical.

I just built a tank that fits in the short bed of my truck, under the cover. I installed an electric pump and wired it to my truck battery. The truck fits nicely between the wing and the stabilator and pumps about 8 Gal/min.

My neighbors fill up 5 gallon cans and then pour the gas into a gas caddy to pump it into their airplanes. I didn't like handling the gas twice or storing gas in my hangar (which is attached to my house).

Here is my gas transfer rig:

gas_pump-b.jpg

Probably about 90-120 sec to empty 5-gal can. I intend to add a ground wire.

Last edited:
paint stick taped onto filler hose

I measured how far it is from the filler opening to the top of the gas tank.
Then I got the filler hose on the pump and hold a paint stick at a 90 degree angle at that distance and tape it with a X pattern to hold the stick onto the hose.
I then insert the hose all the way till it stops with the stick on the top of the opening.
Then all I have to do is pump the fuel until the automatic stop on the tip of the hose pump shuts off .
This gives me the same amount of fuel every time.
Looks kind of cheap but does the job.

Terry

Back