What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standby alternator on vacuum pad installation pictures required

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi,

I am planning to add a standby alternator on my TMX-IO540 which has the 45° oil filter adapter installed (see pictures).
I read that an extension for the oil filter and alternator is required but I struggle to see where the interference would be.
The second picture shows the installed engine with the vacuum port, and angled oil filter in the background. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Has anybody installed a B&C BC410-H or Planepower FS1-14 standby alternator with pictures of their installation?

Kind Regards
Michael

Attachments

• Wheels034.JPG
    Wheels034.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7666.jpg
    IMG_7666.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 231
If your going to install one , please be advised to do so before installing the mag. Just finished installing one and didn't want to touch the E-mag that was factory installed and one nut was almost impossible to get started and then torqued. Once started , torqueing was just manufacturing/modifying a wrench and welding a socket to it.
Can take a photo but it's installed on an IO-390.

Hi,

I am planning to add a standby alternator on my TMX-IO540 which has the 45° oil filter adapter installed (see pictures).
I read that an extension for the oil filter and alternator is required but I struggle to see where the interference would be.
The second picture shows the installed engine with the vacuum port, and angled oil filter in the background. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Has anybody installed a B&C BC410-H or Planepower FS1-14 standby alternator with pictures of their installation?

Kind Regards
Michael

I rooted through some of my build pictures. I hope these help. It's no big deal, but you will need the extension.

Attachments

• Batt5.jpg
    Batt5.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 234
Thank you for your pictures Larry. It looks to me as if the oil filter adapter on my TMX-IO540 came already with an extension from the factory. Comparing the pictures it looks as if I’ll only need the extension for the alternator.

Kind regards
Michael

I'm not sure about the 540 but on the 360 and my 370 the extension can't be too long. My engine came with a longer extension, 2" I think and I had to buy a shorter one so that it would work with my standby alternator. I still have the longer extension if that will work for you.

Thank you for your pictures Larry. It looks to me as if the oil filter adapter on my TMX-IO540 came already with an extension from the factory. Comparing the pictures it looks as if I’ll only need the extension for the alternator.

Kind regards
Michael

I would inquire with B&C via email about spacer length since you already have one on your oil adapted to validate it’s the appropriate length. I couldn’t find any photos, but mine look just like Larry’s.

Is it possible to install the one nut without removing the pmag? It looks like there is no access to get even a finger in there. I am installing one soon too and it looks to me like my pmag has to come off.

Is it possible to install the one nut without removing the pmag? It looks like there is no access to get even a finger in there. I am installing one soon too and it looks to me like my pmag has to come off.

I had to take my mag off as well as fabricating a tool to get one nut tighten. I used a slim profile ratcheting wrench and cut it down to fit in the space. I don’t recall the exact length, but it wasn’t much more than an inch. I’ve modified many tools from Harbor Freight for special single tasks like this.

With the profiles of the oil filter, it’s spacers, and the alternator and it’s spacers, there isn’t much room to get tools on all the nuts. But it can be done with a little thought and ingenuity.

watch those spacers

Re: those backup alt spacers: Need to be careful that the overhang moment isn't exceeded of the vacuum pump pad. The Lycoming TCDS only allows a max of 25 in-lb and if a 1" spacer is used with that BC410 backup alternator, you're at 24 in-lb. Reference the B&C BC410 drawing and the Lyc TCDS below.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 043659.jpg

It is possible, took us over three hours on that one nut to get it started. Ended up taping the nut to a small very flexible tubing which allowed the nut to stay lined up while rotating. Made a special crows foot to torque.

Thanks for that additional piece of information. I couldn’t find any drawing about the Planepower FS1-14 regarding point of gravity but it’s slightly heavier with 6 lbs which get it to 24.9 lb*in. I’ll need to measure my oil filter extension to understand what spacer I’ll need.
Thank you all for the information.

Michael

Re: those backup alt spacers: Need to be careful that the overhang moment isn't exceeded of the vacuum pump pad. The Lycoming TCDS only allows a max of 25 in-lb and if a 1" spacer is used with that BC410 backup alternator, you're at 24 in-lb. Reference the B&C BC410 drawing and the Lyc TCDS below.

View attachment 16584

The tool that makes it a lot easier is a wobble extension, so that the crowfoot on the nut can move up to 15 degrees off vertical. The wobble extensions are sold in various lengths and are very popular in the offroad vehicle segment. I have them in 3, 6 and 12 inch lengths. You would be amazed what you can get to with two wobbles on.

Back