What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Something Wrong?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
After years of building this plane, I have found that if something does not fit - you did something wrong!
I just put on my stabilator and the fiberglass fairings, and found the stabilator rubs - hard -on the fiberglass. Has everyone had this problem or did I do something wrong again? It is easy enough to cut away some of the stab to make it clear.
33ufyow.jpg
[/IMG]

If I recall, I had to trim the skin a little in order to have a consistent gap all the way around the fairing. Make sure you allow enough space to clear the screw head (and plastic washer, if you use one) as well.

Hi Don,

Had the same thing happen when I reinstalled the painted tail cone. I loosened the screws holding the cone to the frame and pushed it forward a little and retightened the screws. It moved just enough to clear the stabilator.

1/8" Clearance

Don read Step 4 on page 12-09

http://joesrv12.com/pdf/12_09.pdf

1/8" Clearance

Joe Dallas

After years of building this plane, I have found that if something does not fit - you did something wrong!
I just put on my stabilator and the fiberglass fairings, and found the stabilator rubs - hard -on the fiberglass. Has everyone had this problem or did I do something wrong again? It is easy enough to cut away some of the stab to make it clear.
33ufyow.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
What Mr. Boorsma said!

Every time I put the tail cap on I've got to leave the screws loose and push one side or the other for clearance, then tighten screws.

Wayne 120241/143WM 396 hours

You can also move the tailcone fairings a touch forward and it opens up the rear clearance a lot.Didnt trim my stab at all.

Back