What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st Flight - RV-12 kit #1000

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
June 15th, N212EX made it's maiden flight at Lopez Island, Washington. Builder Dick Bangsund was at the controls with his CFI along in the right seat. Pilot comments "beautiful airplane, very sensitive on the controls compared to my C182...love this airplane...worth every minute I spent building it", Dick.

i-BT9zh8k-L.jpg

Wow

That is very fast! Congratulations. I've been at it, off and on, for over two years now and I think I'm about 70% done and 90% left to go.

Well just wait until you are on it for FIVE YEARS and a few months, THEN you can say you are a slow builder. And no, I have never taken a vacation from building either.

Thanks

Thanks to Tony for posting picture and to everyone for kind comments...the key to this quick build is: I am 73 years old, and I didn't want to croak and leave a half done airplane to my wife to try to get rid of...so very focused...now flying it is all worth the time spent building..Dick

You are going to love flying the 12. I have almost 200 hours in 10 months and it still amazes me how nice it flys.

Kit # 121

That is very fast! Congratulations. I've been at it, off and on, for over two years now and I think I'm about 70% done and 90% left to go.

Kit #1000? You guys are killing' me <grin>.
On the good news side: Kit #121 got it's pink slip today. Thank-you Vern Darley!
Got a few things to tidy up, make the Insurance folks happy, and then on to Decatur for Phase 1.

Congratulations Dick!

Just curious, can you request a specific kit#? Just wondering because I just ordered my RV-12 kit in March 2016 and I"m #973. This didn't make sense to me, unless they don't necessarily ship out in numerical order.

The kit issued serial #'s do not include the kits that were built into S-LSA's.
The subject airplane for this thread was kit # 1000, but it probably doesn't have serial # 1000.

EDIT:
So I was curious when Richard actually had picked up his kit.

The Vans Aircraft Facebook page held the answer.

9.5 Months from the day the Emp. kit was picked up at Vans, to first flight.
Congratulations Richard

What is really impressive is an RV6 that was built in 90 days.......

I would need to dig way into past RViator issues to confirm this.

Scott might know who it was...... Van for sure.

What is really impressive is an RV6 that was built in 90 days.......

I would need to dig way into past RViator issues to confirm this.

Scott might know who it was...... Van for sure.

Jerry Scott, in about 1993
He was not a typical firs time builder though.

Clarification

Yes the serial number does not reflect the serial number of kit...my kit #1000 is Serial number 120937...Dick

Again, Congratulations Dick!
And your beautiful paint scheme is perfect for today, July 4th.
Did you paint? If not, who/where did it for you?
I'm thinking a paint job would be perfect excuse for a long Cross-Country and west coast vacation next year after official retirement.

Paint Job

Dave; I did the paint after asking Rudy in New Zealand if I could copy his scheme...the paint is Acrylic Urethane with Hardner/Catalyst..Aluminum was prepped with Aluma Prep and sanded with Scotch pads then treated with Bonderite....Cost was roughfly $1,500.00 for materials...cost to have it done around here is $12,000.00 so you can see it was worth the effort...good luck with painting...I'm too old to do it commercially...just lucky to get mine done...Dick

I had the pleasure of seeing this bird on Lopez Island after flying up from Camarillo, CA. Super job Dick!

Gary
RV-12 Kit #117

Thanks

Gary; It was sure fun talking to you when you came to the island..you amazed me flying all the way up from Camarillo Calif...Dick

Back