What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and G5 altimeter settings

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I upgraded from a G3X with a GSU73 and a GSU25 on the CAN buss and calibrated with the pitot static/ transponder system. I added a G5 and SL30 connected by RS232 and not on the CAN but tied to the pitot static system. The G5 always registered 20-30’ higher than the G3X and I would set the altimeter setting on the G5 to show the same elevation as the G3X. I upgraded to a G3X Touch and added the G5 to the CAN buss so it is now set with the G3X altimeter setting.

The G3X has been calibrated at my last transponder certification. Is there anyway to reset or calibrate the G5 to the same altitude as the G3X.

Mine is similar and was told by my radio guy that it is very common. Still within legal specs so did not calibrate the G5.

Yes, you can calibrate either the G5 or G3X or both to bring them in sync. It's on the install manual.

The G3X has been calibrated at my last transponder certification. Is there anyway to reset or calibrate the G5 to the same altitude as the G3X.

The G5 (and the GSU25) can only be calibrated using a P-S test box, the calibration procedure is accomplished at 0/10,000/20,000 altitudes.

Reach out to Garmin to get the procedure to correct it.. Had the same thing occur post biannual static check. Had to reset the GSU then recalibrate (compass swing) it. Since everything is on a CAN bus it should match up once reconfigured.

Reach out to Garmin to get the procedure to correct it.. Had the same thing occur post biannual static check. Had to reset the GSU then recalibrate (compass swing) it. Since everything is on a CAN bus it should match up once reconfigured.

I think you’re talking about attitude not altitude. Altitude is not shared on the CAN bus but the horizon offset is.

Back