What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MATCO WHLWI600XLT-2

Me

If that is the one that comes in the matco Rv-10 brake kit, I am using them. They will flat stop the aircraft, zero fade, and rock hard pedals.

I like them and would recommend them. Great bang for the buck…

No, they aren’t as pretty as the red brand but they work great and are likely $3k less cost. And when they are installed you can’t see what color they are!

What size tire are you using?

I will be using the James Aircraft wheel pant on this RV-10 build like I did the first. They have a significantly smaller frontal cross section compared to the very wide stock pants. I would be interested in any tolerance issue you may have had between this brake assembly and your wheel pants.

Thanks
Carl

Issues

I did not have any issues as they were installed during the build. I did use the machined spacer and the stock wheel pant mount needed to be modified slightly to provide clearance on the brake line fitting. I am using desser retreads so they are a bit larger than stock. I fit the pants to the larger tire size and as such, I can use first run or retreads. I did not use minimum clearance between the pant and tire, and have had no issues. I did not use a parking brake valve. I did use hard lines and flex lines from ts flightlines.

All in all, very happy with the matco product. I have over 100 hours on the pads with very little wear showing…

What size tire are you using?

I will be using the James Aircraft wheel pant on this RV-10 build like I did the first. They have a significantly smaller frontal cross section compared to the very wide stock pants. I would be interested in any tolerance issue you may have had between this brake assembly and your wheel pants.

Thanks
Carl

I had some install problems, it everything is working fine now.

My rudder pedal frame wasn’t square. It was out by 1/8”. It side loaded one of the master cylinders, which cause one of the orings to prematurely fail, which in turn cause the cylinder to stick. The sticking caused the brakes to overheat. It took awhile to isolate all the parts the were damaged by the overheating.

I got great support from George working through all my issues.

Carl,
I did the retrofit 4-5 years ago. I found I did not need the spacers, my wheel pant brackets fit perfectly as is. They do take a little longer to remove than standard brakes but once you get the hang of it its not bad.My first set of brake pads lasted 550 hours, changed the pads and tires at the same time.

Now that Alan has the equipment to do the mains I'll probably send them in and have him do it.

I'm using the Flight Custom III 15 x 6.0 x 6.

Gary

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but you might want to set aside some additional funds to replace the cheap Chinese bearings provided by Matco with some decent ones made by Timken or a reputable manufacturer.

Don’t know what Anti-splat installs with their bearing mod.

George Happ is usually very helpful, but his less than satisfactory response to the substitution of Timken bearings with some Chinese no-name has left me lacking and quite disappointed with Matco.

Thanks all for the responses. I’ll proceed with these brakes and wheels, along with the James wheel pants.

I’ll be using a new cowl from James that is made for the Cold Air Sump IO-540. The first RV-10 had a James Cowl (vertical induction IO-540) and I was very happy with it.

Carl

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but you might want to set aside some additional funds to replace the cheap Chinese bearings provided by Matco with some decent ones made by Timken or a reputable manufacturer.

Don’t know what Anti-splat installs with their bearing mod.

George Happ is usually very helpful, but his less than satisfactory response to the substitution of Timken bearings with some Chinese no-name has left me lacking and quite disappointed with Matco.

I spoke to Allen at Anti Splat about the bearings they use about 2 weeks ago. He wasn’t sure. He thought maybe from Italy or Germany. I’d like to do the sealed bearing mod as well and having a good Timken or FAG bearing would be nice.

I'm looking at putting together my finish kit order in the next few days...with the Matco wheels and 3-piston brakes, is a different tire required? Should I just delete all tire/wheel/brake items from the finish kit and buy from Matco directly?

I'm looking at putting together my finish kit order in the next few days...with the Matco wheels and 3-piston brakes, is a different tire required? Should I just delete all tire/wheel/brake items from the finish kit and buy from Matco directly?

I ordered the Matco system and have not yet installed it. You can use the standard tires that come with the Vans kit. I am going to use the Wilkerson retreads just because apparently the retreads are slightly larger diameter and last longer. I deleted the Vans tubes as well as I wanted the 90degree stems.

Keith

I ordered the Matco system and have not yet installed it. You can use the standard tires that come with the Vans kit. I am going to use the Wilkerson retreads just because apparently the retreads are slightly larger diameter and last longer. I deleted the Vans tubes as well as I wanted the 90degree stems.

Keith

Did you buy the wheels and brakes (including nosewheel) from Matco directly?

I have these wheels coming. I am ordering Goodyear flight custom 3's, getting some conflicting info on which tubes to use. Straight stem or 90? for both mains and nose?

Back