What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Spring Steel Legs

rv8or

Well Known Member
I have a old RV8 kit which I'm now working on. At about the time I bought my kit if my memory serves me correctly there were some gear legs shipped with the incorrect hardness. Vans did inform at the time to get the legs checked for the correct hardness. This information I can no longer find.

So my question is who supplies Vans with the steel legs so I can check with them what hardness they should be.

I did check with Vans but they could not answer what the hardness should be.

If they are softer than what they should be I will be able to get the info to get a local firm in the UK to correct this.

Rob

For reference, this might be a starting point if no better information pops up.

The RV-3B plans call for 6150 steel, heat treated to 42 - 44 Rockwell "C" hardness. This is for both the main and tali spring legs. It's on drawing 28.

Dave

RV3

David
Thanks but I want to be sure

I hope you enjoy the RV3 as much as I enjoy mine.

Rob

I understand you are in the UK, and shipping may be an issue, but consider the Skydesigns aluminum gear, especially if your steel gear need heat treating, just put the money into the lighter gear!

Rob, your memory is correct... my 1st RV-8 N99SU was also an early vintage circa 2000, and Van's did in fact request a range of builder numbers to check the gear legs for heat treating. I don't recall the details except that it was a simple test using a center punch and comparing the mark left to whatever was listed in the letter. Don't recall if it was a photo or a description. Suggest you talk to someone else at Van's.

Ernie

EDIT >>> a few more brain cells just kicked in; I now seem to recall that Van's furnished a loaner tool that builders shared. Don't recall exactly what it was but after using it there was no doubt if the gear legs were properly heat treated. /reb

Last edited:
Back