What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel bolt torque

Handclutch

Well Known Member
The builder of my machine marked the wheel bolt torque on the rims but it has worn off. Been searching (KAI and net) but can?t find any reference. Does anybody know the figure off hand?

Jack

Matco Manual see page 20

Tighten the axle nut until all play is out of the assembly. Rotate the wheel back and forth while tightening the nut to help seat the bearings. When all play is out and the wheel rotates freely, tighten to the next slot and insert cotter pin.
O. WHEEL ASSY. TORQUE VALUES
The rubber seal on the tapered roller bearing should remain stationary while the wheel rotates around it. If the seal is spinning on the axle, tighten the nut further until the seal stops spinning with the wheel

Extra info about tapered roller bearings

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the RV-12's main wheels have tapered roller bearings that require the tightening procedure noted above. However, the nose wheel has sealed cylindrical roller bearings and a simple tightening of the axle bolt is all that is required -- there should be no excessive side-load on the nose wheel's roller bearings.

Last edited:
Sorry, should have been more explicit. I?m across the Matco requirement to snug up the bearings more than usual - I am after the torque for the bolts that hold the rims together. Can use a standard setting for that bolt size but wondered if a particular figure is provided? Thanks in advance.

Jack

Sorry, should have been more explicit. I?m across the Matco requirement to snug up the bearings more than usual - I am after the torque for the bolts that hold the rims together. Can use a standard setting for that bolt size but wondered if a particular figure is provided? Thanks in advance.

Jack

The 12 uses a MHE51B wheel with 31-18X.875 bolts which calls for 120 IN Lbs ref. the table on page 21 of the MATCO instructions provided in the second post.

There's a table of wheel assembly torque values in the Matco manual, Jack. From memory, 100 in.lb for those bolts, but you would need to check. I stripped the hex head on one and replaced them all with Torx head purchased from Matco. Had a hard time getting the stripped bolt out due to the depth of the rim.

The table on page 19 of the instructions that came with the brakes definitely gives the figure of 100 inch pounds.

Thanks, everybody - job done. The builder provided me with very extensive documentation but not the Matco pack that would have come with the wheels/brakes.

Jack

Back