What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Russians in Canada (Русские в Канаде)

Vlad

Well Known Member
Russians in Canada (Русские в Канаде)

My airplane is due for quarterly condition inspection. I am parked outside and any kind of heavy maintenance presents a challenge. It's still winter, it's windy and cold, there is no electricity and I can't leave cowl off for more then couple hours not even talking overnight. Hey, said Julian, the owner of two beautiful Canadian RVs, hop over the border I have a heated hangar by Montreal, all tools and an apartment built into the hangar. We can even balance your prop...

What could be better?! VAF camaraderie at work! At the end of the day I am heading north for the weekend.

Here in the Adirondacks I have a secret spot nobody knows except Piper Cub drivers. I'll visit on the way back. A boat restaurant on a frozen lake...

Another 30 minutes and I am at the border crossing St. Lawrence River.

Interesting how they ice fish in Canada. All anglers lined up in circles and rows like Burning Man.

A dam close to my destination it looks like I am number 3 for the field. I remember there was a discussion never enter 45 degrees to a Canadian downwind. Guilty here, I did. It was the most practical way two aircrafts in training were flying bomber patterns.

This is where real winter starts. Western Siberia!!

Either I need reading glasses or my camera is out of focus. Julian meets me signaling to enter from the back door.

In 2.5 hours I am in a heated hangar. First time in 18 months or so. SkyKingBob do you remember when?

Last edited:
Julian and I were born and raised in the same part of the world. We entered North American continent in different centuries and exited at different stops. We speak the same mother tongue but I noticed we automatically switch to English when talking about airplanes. Somewhere in Montreal Julian found a Russian food store and bought some expensive delicatessen man we don't have this in the south. I haven't eaten some for a decade. And here it was a Friday night at the hangar. World problems solved :)

Last edited:
Believe it or not but all Saturday I spent indoors. Never left the comfort of the warm hangar. Had a lot of fun with my plane while Julian was machining something on the other side. My beat up prop got a facelift I had several very bad dents from visiting Duanesburg NY.

My oil return hoses are finally mil spec with proper non extruding clamps.

I had to cut old oil breather hose it fused. Replaced with the same NAPA part next time I go fancy.

Oil dipstick tube got a nice real gasket.

Right brake pads were fubar I suspect a defective pad. Only some 400 hours, the left pads were worn fairly. Never let it go that far it may ruin your discs.

All eye bearings received an injection.

The day ended happily. Initially we planned to invite some guests but it was too late and too cold outside.

Last edited:
It was a cold windy day......

In 2.5 hours I am in a heated hangar. First time in 18 months or so. SkyKingBob do you remember when?

Hey Vlad.....I do....cold day....wind blowing around 30 mph.....no one is
flying....except a crazy Russian!

compCIMG2037_zps6cf9a961.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Does anyone else find it ironic, if not somewhat hilarious, that Vlad has to head north across the border, to a frozen land of ice and snow, to find a warm hangar to work in? I'm cracking up here! LOL!

Warm in the South Vlad

Vlad...should have came to NC.. shorter trip,upper 70's, shorts weather, the pool is open (no ice) and Scotch on hand. You could have used Caspers' place. last time you came down here, you went to Canada "on the way"...I think Russians seek the Canadian cold for old time sake!

In that case my dog and I will come and visit you. I am at the same airport. :D

Julian is a very capable guy, he's a fellow Ruskie and his hangar is well equipped. In fact his hangar is drool worthy, makes mine look like a shack. It has 4 bifold doors and an apartment and a machine shop. If he is missing any bits or pieces then likely I can help out.

Last edited:
"Quarterly condition inspection"? Eh? Something unusual about an RV that points north rather than south during the winter?

John Siebold

Don't tell customs that you are going to work on the airplane. They get really uptight about that. They deported a guy for helping paint his sister's apartment last year. He was a non resident visiting. He showed a picture of him painting on facebook and the border people checked out his social media that was it - he was gone. Totally stupid but it is what it is. I think US customs is exactly the same.

Just say you are visiting a friend, nothing more.

Russian's Northern visit

Welcome North again Vlad

Geez too bad I had to be across an ocean this week end or I would have come visiting....

I live only 40 miles away and used CSE4 (Lachute) in the summer just about every week end to refuel prior to flying back to my strip 10 RV minutes away..

Maybe next time

Bruno
[email protected]

Sblack

In that case my dog and I will come and visit you. I am at the same airport. :D

Julian is a very capable guy, he's a fellow Ruskie and his hangar is well equipped. In fact his hangar is drool worthy, makes mine look like a shack. It has 4 bifold doors and an apartment and a machine shop. If he is missing any bits or pieces then likely I can help out.

But in your hangar there is cool rv4 building. In my hangar it is only in plans for next year! + 1 for your hangar

Vlad

How u been sneaking into Canada with small N numbers thought all N numbers on planes going into Canada had to be 12"

How u been sneaking into Canada with small N numbers thought all N numbers on planes going into Canada had to be 12"

I *think* that only applies to entering the ADIZ (like coming from the Bahamas or something). Not necessary for land-locked border crossings between US and Canada.

Thanks guys. You surely know how to make fun out of simple hangar visit. :D

... On a crispy Sunday morning we balanced the prop.

Snacked with last night leftovers then I made a call to US Customs.

Bye Julik thanks for everything.

Cleared US Customs in 5 minutes and was airborne in 15. I still have time to visit my secret spot. It's somewhere here in the Adirondacks.

Raquette Lake.

The boat is on the other side.

Here it is but the restaurant is closed. Nobody around and there is no ice by fuel pump. Will come next February the Christmas is around the corner.

Another 1.5 hours and I am at home base.

Check this thread after Memorial Day the Russians are planning an invasion...

Vlad,

Didn't realize you were float-equipped as well!

Great area. We spend time every summer not far from there at Covewood Lodge on Big Moose lake. Parts of the park are far enough from cell towers that there is no signal so nothing to do but uncouple and actually take a vacation. Driving to town for a cell signal puts our constantly connected life back into perspective (as in do I really need to check my voicemail?). Time to read a book, kayak in early morning mist, listen to the loons before dawn, reconnect with family or just chill out, what an amazing concept. Think I know why it's a favorite of yours.

Regards,

Jack

Vlad sighting!

I can confirm that N666BK and Vlad have returned from Canada. Was spotted today at McGuire AFB in NJ. In fact, he managed to get himself onto the flight deck of a McDonnell Douglas KC10 tanker. Very interesting...

2w4l6bt.jpg
29d94x1.jpg

Did you activate airborne camera?

Thanks. Back at you. The cockpit is a bit bigger then the RV12 eh? :D

It was a well planned event. Was nice seeing you Brent and other RVators. Start a write up I will add. :)

So let's see if I can understand this:

My son gets me in the cockpit of a KC10 at McGuire AFB and I am not allowed to take any pictures of his "office". But our Russian aviator can??

So let's see if I can understand this:

My son gets me in the cockpit of a KC10 at McGuire AFB and I am not allowed to take any pictures of his "office". But our Russian aviator can??

It's a DC-10 ... when was the last time you've flown in one of those? (18xx?). Clearly, a disinformation campaign by the USAF, for sure. ;-)

Back