What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best days to hit Oshkosh?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
There's a good probability I can make Oshkosh this year for the first time, what are the best 3-4 days to hit? Does it matter?

Are you flying in??

I like to fly in on Sat before the opening, services are mostly up and running, parking is still decent, and pattern traffic is light.

At the beginning of the show, the vendors seem friendlier because they aren't all talked out and fatigued from answering the same questions endlessly. At the beginning, the RVers usually help fillup the homebuilt parking and camping areas. It thins out as the week progresses. The weekend attracts more general public airshow attendees.

I usually go 3 or 4 days at the beginning, but that's weather dependent. It's a whole lot less fun when it's super hot or raining. It is an outdoor event after all. One year, after two 90+ degree days, one of which was spent almost entirely in the museum, I drove 5 hours home and came back three days later after it cooled off.

Everyone has a different perspective of what's best for them.

At the beginning of the show, the vendors seem friendlier because they aren't all talked out and fatigued from answering the same questions endlessly. At the beginning, the RVers usually help fillup the homebuilt parking and camping areas. It thins out as the week progresses. The weekend attracts more general public airshow attendees.

Ditto.

We always go the Saturday before to get a good campsite. Usually pull out on Thursday.

Monday night concert is a high point and the Wednesday night air show is something to see.

I have noticed in the last few years they are scheduling some of the top acts later in the week. The Snowbirds are at the end of the week this year, may have to stay the whole week this year.

Terry

...and you might want to be around on Monday evening, when all The Usual Suspects gather...

You can't make a bad decision here. but I think Dan is right, you probably want to hit the Monday get-together, which, of course, I've missed for several years now because I fly over twice to accommodate schedules of my sons who want to come over.

I think this year I'll fly over three times.

At the beginning of the show, the vendors seem friendlier because they aren't all talked out and fatigued from answering the same questions endlessly.

As a vendor who attends, I'll offer one counterpoint to this. :) Towards the end of the week, the volume of "actual customers" decreases significantly. True, we are tired and usually ready to go home. But a visit and conversation with an actual (potential) customer is a welcome refresher to the multitude of "How much does this cost?" locals. There are advantages to the end, too. :)

Sat thru Thur

As noted in the thread Saturday through Thursday works well, arrivals on Saturday are lower so a little less stressful (you have to plan around some mass arrivals).
Sat: If you camp with the experimentals the choice of parking is better, restaurant wait is short
Sun: You can stroll around and relax and watch the increasing arrivals, can also still eat at local restaurants without major wait. Can also check out some vendors early.
Mon: Dan et als bash in the evening, also the concert
Wed: Night airshow and fireworks, worth seeing.
Thurs: Depart before the weekend crowd.

Our group has done this for the past three years and it works well.

This past one I went Sunday morning through Thursday morning. This year I might consider Monday Morning through Thursday. Ye need to see the Wednesday night air show and the Monday opening concert...

Figs...

As noted in the thread Saturday through Thursday works well, arrivals on Saturday are lower so a little less stressful (you have to plan around some mass arrivals).
Sat: If you camp with the experimentals the choice of parking is better, restaurant wait is short
Sun: You can stroll around and relax and watch the increasing arrivals, can also still eat at local restaurants without major wait. Can also check out some vendors early.
Mon: Dan et als bash in the evening, also the concert
Wed: Night airshow and fireworks, worth seeing.
Thurs: Depart before the weekend crowd.

Our group has done this for the past three years and it works well.
Are the Okies really going to let you fly? Or are you the lead??:D

There's a good probability I can make Oshkosh this year for the first time, what are the best 3-4 days to hit? Does it matter?

Any 3 or 4 consecutive days of the week that end in the letter Y.

At AirVenture 2015, I found out that the best day to talk to vendors and see and demo their new products was the last day of the event.

Last edited:
I used to go every year during the 80s and early 90s, but haven't been there in the last 20 yrs or so.

As the new owner of my very own RV I thought this year might be a good time to get reacquainted with OSH.

Used to be that the experimentals had their own parking area and were grouped by type, but I don't remember if you could camp by your plane or not like you could if you parked in the GA area.

How does tent camping work now? - can you [do you] camp by your plane or is there a special camping area?

I stayed through Sunday a couple of years ago, before they had the Wednesday night air show. It occurred to me Sunday morning while I was packing my plane for departure, I could count all the planes in HBC on two hands.

Sunday through Thursday for me, +or - weather. The night show is worth the extension.

How does tent camping work now? - can you [do you] camp by your plane or is there a special camping area?
Home built camping- the HBC sign you display will guide you to a large grass Parking lot-corner to the warbird parking. I don't think that has changed much over the years, count all the RV 6's!:D

Camping

I used to go every year during the 80s and early 90s, but haven't been there in the last 20 yrs or so.

As the new owner of my very own RV I thought this year might be a good time to get reacquainted with OSH.

Used to be that the experimentals had their own parking area and were grouped by type, but I don't remember if you could camp by your plane or not like you could if you parked in the GA area.

As the chairman of HBC welcome, the first round is always on the newbie..:p

Don't discount the entertainment value of watching the arrivals - particularily the bigger "type" groups trying to land in formation.

Its more fun than some of the airshow displays.

Having never flown into Oshkosh before, I'm just trying to figure out how to time my arrival so that no one actually sees me land. :D

Which reminds me. If you stay until Saturday or Sunday, you get to go over the pile of stuff that people leave behind up by Jerry's headquarters.

It's usually brand new stuff that people bought -- tents, cots, etc.

And always beer. Lots of beer.

Which reminds me. If you stay until Saturday or Sunday, you get to go over the pile of stuff that people leave behind up by Jerry's headquarters.

It's usually brand new stuff that people bought -- tents, cots, etc.

And always beer. Lots of beer.

Thanks for reminder Bob. Now I know where and when to get my free AK gear :D

Back