What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Xcom radio review... And other radio too.

judoka5051

Well Known Member
Hey guys and gals,

I just installed an Xcom radio and can't believe how good it is! I'm particularly impressed with the built in intercom. It works better than any stand alone intercom I've used. I was originally hesitant to buy it because it seemed a little pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I originally had a Flightline FL760, but had nothing but trouble with it. One weird thing it did that I've never heard of before was make a scratching noise when the rudder pedals were pushed. That was just a minor issue though, the major problem was inability to transmit. I got a lot of static in the headset, plus no one heard a thing. I replaced every associated part with no joy.

I pulled that and installed the Xcom and now I'm 5x5 30 miles away (haven't tested further). I works really well with my Halo QT, another great product.

Lance

XCOM

I have 2 of those little gems in my RV-10.
Best radio ever, very small and short, powerful transmitter, crystal clear reception and very reasonably priced.

xcom radio

Great radio. Has a built iin ntercom which works great and aux input for iPod, nav audio (morse code) and autopilot voice. Long distance reception is outstanding. Xcom offers a repeater for back seats in tandem setups. I installed the repeater which is nicely backlit and features all the same functions as the main radio. When listening to iPod music, the radio reliably detents the music when any transmission comes in on the selected frequency. At Osh last year I pressed the guy at the booth for a show discount for the repeater. Ended up with a 20% off. They shipped it a few weeks later. I would buy the radio again if I needed one.

Xcom Repair

I'm looking for a Xcom repair shop?
I would rather ship in the USA rather than half way around the world.
Thanks!

Sending you a PM re: a US repair person. There's a guy who posts on this forum who has worked on a few XCOM radios for a friend, but I'm not exactly clear on his relationship with the factory. I'd hate to publish his contact info without his permission. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

Based on my personal experience and my friend's experience with the XCOM radio, I'm convinced that there were some less than stellar radios in the earlier days of production. My experience and my friend's experience with the XCOM radio is polar opposite to the glowing reviews posted earlier in this thread.

My radio went back and forth to Australia at least twice and it might have been three times. They eventually just exchanged my radio for a new one. It wasn't any better. I basically gave it away to a friend who already had an XCOM in his plane, but was having different problems. His thought was that he could swap them back and forth and not be grounded when one was in for service.

After going back and forth with the US guy for a year or so, he finally sent his original radio to Australia last week. The second radio (my old one) is intermittent, but [slightly] better than nothing. I now have a Trig TY91 in my plane.

I ended up building an adapter harness that plus into the DB connector in my airplane and allows for the use of an old ICom handheld radio. The harness integrates the PTT and headphone jacks along with AC power and ground. I just plug the antenna's BNC cable to the ICom handheld. It's always worked flawlessly. Disappointing that a $1500+ installed radio that's supposedly state of the art is outperformed by a $300 handheld that was purchased in the early 90's!

Very Happy!

I am still very happy with my 2 XCOM radios.

They eventually just exchanged my radio for a new one. It wasn't any better.
RWoodard,
Ever thought of checking your installation instead of blaming the radio?

I am still very happy with my 2 XCOM radios.

RWoodard,
Ever thought of checking your installation instead of blaming the radio?

Who are you? Michael Coates?

Heck yes, I checked my installation. It's fine. I also made up a bare bones harness for bench testing. I also tried an XCOM factory-produced harness. My friend's airplane also has a different harness. Did you read the part where I explained that my radio is now being used in a new airplane?

It's the radio.

No question about it.

But thanks for your most insightful suggestion.

Rod

Last edited:
Back