What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 First Flight

BGS

Well Known Member
Did this day really happen? It has been a few days now and it still has not totally sunk in. When you look back at years of construction and all the major milestones, it is amazing of what comes from all this work each and everyone of us put into these projects. The sense of accomplishment is overwhelming. And I finally get to realize that that all the work, time and frustrations are all now worth every bit.

This came to realization this last Saturday, 9/28/2013 when my RV-10 left the ground for the first time after 4 1/2 years of building.

For years I have been reading stories of others first flights and the feelings that brought, thinking will I ever experience that. All I can say is I have, and so much more. As everyone before me have said, these are great aircraft. Note to those still building - get back to work and get that airplane done.

Maybe someday in the far out future, this new RV Grin may fade, but very little. I think I will have it every time I fly it.

Here are a few pics. I am working on getting the video footage (I will post when done) put together but may be a bit, have an aircraft that needs to be flown.

First%20Flight%20Pics%20005-S.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20008-S.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20016-M.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20017-M.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20022-S.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20140-M.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20154-M.jpg

First%20Flight%20Pics%20177-M.jpg

And the Grin

First%20Flight%20Pics%20183-S.jpg

Congratulations!

Great accomplishment and a beautiful RV-10.
You'll get wonderful enjoyment out of your airplane.

Congrats. Looks beautiful; I hope you have a long, enjoyable flight career together.

A big congratulations and trust me on this: The Grin will NEVER wear off. I'm going on 4 years of RV-10 ownership and she still amazes me every time we fly.

Best,

Congrats

Congratulations Brian, I am glad everything went well. Nice looking RV-10 :)
Regards,
Jennifer Cummins
NationAir Aviation Insurance

Congrats Brian, The aircraft turned out awesome. Can't wait to see if with my own eyes some time. Hopefully sooner then later :)

Great plane

Brian,

congrats, I know so well how you feel, its still fresh and this RV grin won't fade for quite some time I guess.
And the great thing is the plane just gets better and better.
Looking forward to your video!
Mike

Nice Brian. The plane really does look nice!

430 hours on mine and still love it. I took two young kids and their father last weekend and they both said they wanted to be pilots. You'll love the plane a little more every flight.

Brian, try not to forget that feeling! Congratulations on the first flight and welcome to the club!
Bill

Congratulations Brian! It is a wonderful plane for my family and we are always looking forward to that next trip or hamburger run.

Brian
Congrats. Airplane looks awesome. Reminds me of mine 10.
As Sean said 420 hrs and still loving every minute.

Geoff

Congratulations

Thanks for the pictures. What an awesome day for you. Great looking paint job.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A Flying Phase I
N942PT
Dues paid

Yippee!

Congratulations Brian! It was cool watching the last year of your project, and seeing it a few weeks ago in person. I just passed 450 hours and I love it just as much as I did the first month...actually more! Now get out there and get some miles under her.

Congrats Brian, your work is really great, nice airplane and the best ITS NEW!!!!!!!!!!, good winds and enjoy the Fase 1, Remember the brake in is the life of your engine so go WOT as you can.:)

Bryan

I put your photo on my computer in the hanger. Everyone I show it to reacts in the same way We did. Wow!

I suspect a lot of elements of your layout will be on my -10.

Noticed 3" N numbers on your tail plus the 10" on the fues. Did your DAR have an issue with the outlined numbers?

Thanks everyone for the great compliments. Now have 7 1/2 hours and no issues yet.

Bruce, as for the 3" N numbers. Yes, the FAA did have any issue with the painted ones. They did initially deny the airworthiness due to this until the 3" ones were put on.

However, I did get copies of photos of 15 other aircraft that have the same style, just different colors. All that have been approved, even one that belongs to the FAA.

So, the FSDO decided to send the paperwork and pics to Oklahoma and let them decide. As of now have not heard but I think the pics are a pretty good argument and I then can take off the 3" numbers.

Back