What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairing a hole in the fuselage

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I had the opportunity this week to wander around many of the fabulous RV's that were at Oshkosh. I admit to peeking underneath, seeing how one thing or another was done on your plane. I peered into planes to see what color you used. One thing I would still like to do is check out rudder locations. I'll post that request in a different thread.

This thread is for the mistake that I found out I have made. I have come to the definitive conclusion that steps are not needed on a tail wheel RV7. Unfortunately I have bored two beautiful holes in the side of the plane for the steps that I was going to put on. As I see it, I have three choices.

1. Use fiberglass to fill the hole.
  2. Create a metal patch and use some body filler to fill in gaps.
  3. Order two new side skins.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has had to face this and how did they overcome it? Are there any options that I am missing? The new side skins seem like the most pain free solution, but they have already been rolled and all my holes have been match drilled, though not dimpled.

My solution

I started building a 7A but changed my mind and switched to a 7. Like you I had already drilled two very nice holes in my fuselage for steps. I filled mine by cutting two blanks to fit the opening. Unfortunately I did not save the cutouts when I cut the original holes. I riveted the new blanks to a back plate and riveted that to the fuselage. One problem you will encounter is the curve at the bottom of the fuselage right where the hole is located. I tried to bend the blank as close to the curve as possible. It is certainly not perfect. I plan on using a micro-ballon slurry to fill and finish this area. Below is an image of the finished work

Fuselage383_zpsfbbd7998.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another alternative you might consider is shortening the steps and installing them anyway.

It is certainly not perfect. I plan on using a micro-ballon slurry to fill and finish this area. Below is an image of the finished work

Fuselage383_zpsfbbd7998.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Isn't that spot just begging for the statement that could be made by covering it with a "NO STEP" placard?? :rolleyes:

One Step Further

Scott is right on! I have thought about doing this to my steps. I would do just what Scott did but prep it for a coat of body filler to make it totally invisible. To do this I would use a .024 round circle like Scott so it sets a little low. Then after I dimple the fuselage skin, I would then countersink the dimple to make the rivet set about .001+ lower than the side skin. I can't tell from Scott's pic if he did this or not. When you put on the body filler there is no chance of anything sitting proud and thus an invisible repair. Another option is to countersink only, since it is not a structural repair.

Steve "The Builders Coach"

Shorten step

I searched my bookmarks for a link to someone that had shorten their steps. I can not find it, probably deleted it when I filled mine. The process would be easy enough to remove the portion you step on and then reduce the over all length and re-weld the step.

Given the same decision again I would shorten my steps and install them. But I am certainly not going back to that solution now. I would like to finish this plane some day.

I searched my bookmarks for a link to someone that had shorten their steps. I can not find it, probably deleted it when I filled mine. The process would be easy enough to remove the portion you step on and then reduce the over all length and re-weld the step.
Given the same decision again I would shorten my steps and install them. But I am certainly not going back to that solution now. I would like to finish this plane some day.

I didn't shorten steps, but I designed a "straight" step that has no welded joints, for my RV-6. They come straight out of the fuselage just behind and aligned with the flaps.

Mel, got any pictures of that? I'm thinking I may want to do the same for my wife.

I don't do pictures on the forum.
Give me your email and I'll send them.

Last edited:
I did the same sort of thing as Steve on Antenna hole

antholerep_zpsf9752591.jpg

This photo was taken on May 31, 2004. I made a hole and installed the ELT antenna on the upper skin aft of the sliding canopy travel. I made a backing plate of thin aluminum and a aluminum disc to plug the hole and riveted that in place. I mixed some micro balloon with the fiberglass resin I use (EZ-Poxy from Aircraft Spruce). After curing I sanded it smooth. A year later the plane was painted with Imron. The finish is still flawless on August 4, 2013.

Bob Axsom

Steps

When I change my 6A to 6 I cut 4.5 off steps and rewelded them back on glad i did because Ive allready used them 500 times working on panel. Posted for ideas on VAF and Sam the moderator had done his like that.
Bob

When I change my 6A to 6 I cut 4.5 off steps and rewelded them back on glad i did because Ive allready used them 500 times working on panel. Posted for ideas on VAF and Sam the moderator had done his like that.
Bob

There was a thread about steps on a taildragger just a few days ago. Here it is:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101747

I cut 3" out of the passenger side step (the only one on my RV-6) so the step would be halfway between the wing trailing edge and the ground. A piece of 4130 tubing was welded in the down tube and then everything welded back together. It looks great and is a tremendous aid for less than athletic passengers. We have a local RV-8 builder who made the same mod to his plane.

I suggested to Vans that they get Russ McCutcheon to jig up a few sets of taildragger steps but they weren't interested. Maybe if enough of us bug Russ he can add these to his product line. :)

Last edited:
Cosmetically, it will be fine. However, structurally I think it is inadequate. See AC43.13 section 4 - aluminium repairs. As a minimum, you need a double row of rivets on the doubler. I know this as I am having to do a repair to the skin on my -10.

Of course, you can take the view that if the hole is OK for the 7A then it doesn't need a full structural repair to turn it back into a 7.......

Of course, you can take the view that if the hole is OK for the 7A then it doesn't need a full structural repair to turn it back into a 7.......

But the -7A has a steel "patch" riveted in place over the hole.

Both correct

One reason I tied into the structure rivet line on the left. Adding a second row of rivets would be very easy.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Scott's idea, while incorporating the lessons from 43.13 that Paul points out.

Back