What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wedge rudder trim piece

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I am changing the little piece on my rudder so I don't need so much right rudder pressure in cruise.
Does it matter which side of the wood i put on the skin itself?
I want to use the smooth side out so the paint will lay nice.
However the 90 cut would have the smooth side on the skin.
null_zps97baf2fd.jpg

null_zps0a2bb105.jpg

Don't recall which way I oriented mine, but I am pretty sure it won't matter from a trim or structural standpoint. So I say smooth side out for the best finish :)

What I did

Looks like you are holding a piece of Balsa..I used a piece of knot free spruce and cut the wedge on a bandsaw. I sanded it on a flat surface almost razor sharp on the leading edge, then gave it several coats of epoxy primer sanded between coats . I quick topcoat, and it looks like the rest of the plane. I attached it with Proseal, and its there to stay. Use double sided tape for test flights and trim to size needed.

Double sided

Thanks all. Is there a specific type of double sided tape that is preferred? The double sided I found is kind of thick.

If you use that somewhat thick double sided tape from Walmart Aviation Supply, be aware you may find it VERY difficult to remove!!! My temporary use has proved permanent. Used an Avery wedge.

I actually machined a piece of aluminum (I know, heavier) to use for my original trim tab. Sticks on well (up to 200 mph!) with double-sided tape (I don't remember the brand), and paint goes on easily. It also has a sharper leading edge than the wood, so hypothetically a bit less drag.

Greg

Rudder trim

We needed a small amount of rudder trim on our RV6A. Found one at Avery Tools. Made of hard plastic easy to paint. If I remember correctly it comes with double sided tape to mount.
Put on before we painted A/C. It's painted now and it blends in very well.. It does the job also.
If I could figure out how to add photo I would show you tab on plane .:confused:
Firemanken

Item # Image Description Price
RUDDER TRIM TAB
In Stock
$15.00
$13.95

RV6A bought flying
12/13/08
N600Kk

It may be just the picture but that is a healthy looking wedge. I have always used speed tape and a pencil to first determine the amount of tab required then I used a piece of aluminum sheet stock approx .09 thick riveted to the rudder with a couple inches in trail that can be bent into the airstream as required for fine tuning. It makes a nice looking installation and can be painted

Pat

Tab length

I put an experimental tab on and flew it. Now to paint it up nice. I like the plastic wedge idea though.
Might put my balsa one on in a semi permanent way.

A coat of epoxy on the balsa might seal it better against the weather (AZ dryness as well as monsoon damp) than just spraying epoxy primer on it.

Does it matter which side of the wood i put on the skin itself?

I don't think anyone answered your actual question, unless I missed it. It does not matter as far as the physics goes for the airflow. Put which ever side out you want. It's going to have the same protrusion.

Better than a wedge

I know the question had to do with a wedge, but let's face it the wedges are ugly and you can't adjust it once it is stuck on.

Why not make an aluminum trim tab and rivet it on? Looks great and works well because it can be adjusted for your cruise speed. Before riveting it on, put it on with duct tape to check the function, then paint it and rivet it.

P1050017-M.jpg

P1050073-M.jpg

I had a wedge on for a long time and hated the look of it. This is more functional because you can tweak it, and it looks a whole lot better which is important!

Back