What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ottawa, Canada - Mo's Fly-in Feb 29, 2020

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Looks like Mo's Fly-in is ON again this year. The ice runway is plowed. Only a 10 minute flight for us, but we are sure looking forward to it again this year.

Now just hoping for good weather on Saturday.

Located one nm west of the YOW vor, on the Ottawa River.

LpuxzjO.jpg

Runway fly-by and landing test was performed this past Sunday Feb 23:

WUZqeOS.jpg

photo: Eric Lamontagne (extracted from his video on Facebook)

Last edited:
Here is a photo of former RV7 builder Michel checking out Mo's with his Bearhawk (Monday February 24th).

py5vnXv.jpg

Photo: Michel Roy

Great runway

I visited 28th and 30th Flyins good times! Post some pictures from the ice.

Looks like Mo's Fly-in is ON again this year. The ice runway is plowed. Only a 10 minute flight for us, but we are sure looking forward to it again this year.

Now just hoping for good weather on Saturday.

Located one nm west of the YOW vor, on the Ottawa River.

Runway fly-by and landing test was performed this past Sunday Feb 23

Hi Alfio, do you think they will be able to get the runway plowed again after the snowstorm?

Really hoping that the weather clears for Saturday, looks like it may just do that.

Would you know what the street address is for Mo?s place? My daughter will be driving to meet us there.

Thanks in advance, Terry

Hi Alfio, do you think they will be able to get the runway plowed again after the snowstorm?

Really hoping that the weather clears for Saturday, looks like it may just do that.

Would you know what the street address is for Mo?s place? My daughter will be driving to meet us there.

Thanks in advance, Terry

I will attempt to provide an update, if/when I get one, and will post it here.

I don't have Mo's address, however your daughter can call the phone number on the poster for information: 819 682-5273

3,300 feet of runway ...

I just got off the phone with our host, Maurice (Mo). He tells me that the runway is all plowed and according to him, wheeled planes should be fine on it. Caveat Emptor though.

Runway is 34, with 3,300 feet long and 100 feet wide. He plans to add a bit of sand on it in case the wind causes challenges for some.

Forecast ceiling for tomorrow is 2,000 ft with 6+ visibility. Some light snow is possible. Good to check the weather before leaving.

Looking forward to Mo's famous chili tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mo?s fly-in Fed 29, 2020

It was great, a little cool but a beautiful sunny day.

Was only able to stay about an hour, enough time for some chilli and coffee. Left there, flew to Kingston to drop my wife off and headed back to Sault Ste Marie.

Great day for flying.

Terry

Last edited:
Where time goes?

Hard to believe Alfio it?s been 5 years since we parked there side by side. You are probably the most RV frequenter of the flyin. Followed by Ski Patrick RV8 :D

I will get there again in couple years.

I flew over the runway today - soaking wet, thanks to our warm temperatures of late. I hate to miss Mo's Fly-In, but a sunny beach seemed to have more pull than an icy runway this year!

Terry - sorry to have missed you again this year...
Yes, I am a Canadian. Escaping to the sun and sand is a long-standing Canadian winter tradition! :)

Yesterday I visited three local ice runways, doing a low-and-over on each of them. I had previously landed on two of them this winter (Mo's wasn't yet ready the last time I flew before departing for the south). My ice runway count is OK for this winter, but I hope to improve it for next winter!

Vlad - all three runways are in the local area, starting with Mo's. Unfortunately all are closed as we have had several days of very warm weather, hence my "low and over" inspections rather than landing on them. Oh well, next year!

MO’s Fly in practice!

Hi gang: Wishful thinking I know, but I was practicing for MO’s flyin last Saturday. The conditions were right to land on Lake Superiors Goulais Bay. It was a blast, logged three ice landing and take offs.

Terry

Attachments

• 19E48A25-CDB1-4168-BD6B-9C1C152D904B.png
    19E48A25-CDB1-4168-BD6B-9C1C152D904B.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 82
  • F84246EE-434D-42B5-A89D-7A47F3262C73.png
    F84246EE-434D-42B5-A89D-7A47F3262C73.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 78
No "wheeled" fly-in this year (Mo's)

Sorry to disappoint you (and others) Terry, but I heard that this year it would there will be no snow clearing service performed on the ice runway. The fly-in has been scaled down and is for drive-in and ski equipped planes (and helicopters) only this year.

I'm disappointed as well as Mo's is one of the highlights of my winter flying.

MO’s flyin.

Sorry to disappoint you (and others) Terry, but I heard that this year it would there will be no snow clearing service performed on the ice runway. The fly-in has been scaled down and is for drive-in and ski equipped planes (and helicopters) only this year.

I'm disappointed as well as Mo's is one of the highlights of my winter flying.

Thanks Alfio, I’m surprised it’s going ahead in any form. Let us know if anything changes.

Terry

Mo's - Saturday February 26th, 2022

Please see the attachment for details, and note that there will be no wheeled airplane support (no snow clearing on the ice) this year.

Having said that, a Facebook post claims there might be a runway cleared by some volunteers.... "A small group of volounteers have agreed to making a runway after all. Details to come."
Correction for the poster: GPS coordinates for longitude should read 75° instead of 77°

Attachments

• 272861788_10158563478608581_3418667506671337400_n.jpg
    272861788_10158563478608581_3418667506671337400_n.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Runway for wheeled aircraft will likely be available...

This was posted on one of our local aviation fb page:

Update following my virtual meeting today with Maurice P, organizer of the Mo's FLY-IN - which will be held on the Ottawa River south of Luskville QC on February 26, 2022:​
There will be a runway for aircraft on wheels. Work will begin around mid-February. Regular updates will be published.​

Also...
Correction: GPS coordinates for longitude should be 75° instead of 77°

Last edited:
There will be a runway for aircraft on wheels. Work will begin around mid-February. Regular updates will be published.​
[/I]

Great news, I’ll be watching the weather now!

Terry

Please see the attachment for details, and note that there will be no wheeled airplane support (no snow clearing on the ice) this year.

Having said that, a Facebook post claims there might be a runway cleared by some volunteers.... "A small group of volounteers have agreed to making a runway after all. Details to come."
Correction for the poster: GPS coordinates for longitude should read 75° instead of 77°

What facebook page would one find updates on?

No wheeled fly- in for Mo's on the Ottawa River

Mo's fly-in is back to skis only as per a Copa website post:

"UPDATE FEBRUARY 14:

Today, I carefully inspected the Ottawa River conditions today with Maurice and we both agreed the conditions on the ice are so bad that no snow removal equipment we currently have available could get a runway done. Drifting snow on top of hard thick frozen slush on top of layers of liquid slush.

A significant warm-up expected this week, some rain, then another cooldown would have likely complicated the endeavour and exacerbated the already difficult conditions as well.

The February 26th Mo’s Fly In will consequently revert back to ski planes, helicopters and drive-in."

Back