What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 and Aera 660

Bcone1381

Well Known Member
Greetings Garmin Exprt;

The is probable a dumb question from a novice flat panel guy. (Experience round dial guy)

I am installing a single G5 (no auto-pilot) and an Aera 660 in a non-RV experimental. I had a harness built up to connect the G5 to a Garmin GMU-11 Magnetometer. The harness came with an RS-232 pig tailed off the G5. The GMU-11 communicate to the G5 thru a series of twisted wires called the CAN bus.

So, I am thinking the RS-232 cable is for a future gizmo.

What would be the benefit to connect the G5 to the Aera 660 dock via the RS-232 cable? Does the G5 allow me to select between an HSI and PFD view? Maybe the 660 could drive a Course Deviation Indicator on the HSI view?

Help me understand.

Last edited:
Greetings Garmin Exprt;

The is probable a dumb question from a novice flat panel guy. (Experience round dial guy)

I am installing a single G5 (no auto-pilot) and an Aera 660 in a non-RV experimental. I had a harness built up to connect the G5 to a Garmin GMU-11 Magnetometer. The harness came with an RS-232 pig tailed off the G5. The GMU-11 communicate to the G5 thru a series of twisted wires called the CAN bus.

So, I am thinking the RS-232 cable is for a future gizmo.

What would be the benefit to connect the G5 to the Aera 660 dock via the RS-232 cable? Does the G5 allow me to select between an HSI and PFD view? Maybe the 660 could drive a Course Deviation Indicator on the HSI view?
Help me understand.
I hooked my G5 to a Garmin 796 with the RS232. I get a Course Deviation Indicator and I can fly V-Nav profile with it. You will also get a heading bug for navigating a course set into your GPS. The RS232 gives the G5 more capabilities.

Yes, as David correctly pointed out, an Aera 660/795/796 can provide lateral and vertical (VNAV) guidance to a single or dual G5 installation (with or without autopilot servos) over RS-232.

XHRI5EbBugF8jc1k995AD4VluW02ciAs8BxbeEYOg90Ke6MK0cyV-X6ZzJIdLEMAtHKrUZ4MIiH1MWqxCkvshp-kYt14EoDZbPdAQCBVEvf1i81O2cNUFzBSAbeohI6PaQhHYu6hzVAHeCu57B85dRWLvfVKvOBVsyAJcwJRWfzPq4j6tBzk5VBsbnl8-ZUPDcwwGYdYLANsWXJ7wlPhSaX90sFY-FOLy1zHO5HWeUObbyi3eLc7YLuUpkoo7WixBdzXdEj2-LYNvjSt0AyMxKoyP0MJ_PCLYapIHIHiD7ux8Fh91sx_D2IkyO41kNSC7gZO2aLe4c8pCYSEecs_DfQM6_LpCnR-7VdlgQQNpBs8G_upPJYjDG77VpnHi6-h85lAw1Ab3IgXpH45HytajQisUzO44Y_AP4tSx44SYqqIZ2EPN1T55O0-JIT_bd9HZNoDNGTJh-q5Zn0Za2HRWgt53vRYo4Je4L5bQK-Vj1rGHB2F3X1RTm8FY-TGpQUnSFyoyAUXxjEUYKKcWcOawIk-VJ_dAsui3eg8Ucx00cBbuGaxLtm8ySeyIrGo_fg-45Ru30sNWNBEayx2ZEzJ7pq7yBrjNlJ5gO-AVuMsQ96FFQp12MMXuCGiNC6ja7GqcLgj0Tsdk2m_-tqEkMvBQjMF0vMC_j-h4GtDFlw63OPTWGB4xprg_g=w562-h840-no

Yes, as David correctly pointed out, an Aera 660/795/796 can provide lateral and vertical (VNAV) guidance to a single or dual G5 installation (with or without autopilot servos) over RS-232.

Is this only in the experimental G5 or does it also display it on the certified G5? I'm trying to decide if it's worth connecting the 660 to my dual G5 setup, and do I connect it to the top or bottom G5 pin4? Now that I think about it, if it's getting rs232 into one G5 from my GTX335, can I connect the 660 to the other G5 or will that drive them both nuts (new technical term LOL)?

I believe they're interconnected since when I turn off the top G5 the bottom G5 changes from HSI to an EFIS display like the top G5 had.

Last edited:
Is this only in the experimental G5 or does it also display it on the certified G5? I'm trying to decide if it's worth connecting the 660 to my dual G5 setup, and do I connect it to the top or bottom G5 pin4? Now that I think about it, if it's getting rs232 into one G5 from my GTX335, can I connect the 660 to the other G5 or will that drive them both nuts (new technical term LOL)?

I believe they're interconnected since when I turn off the top G5 the bottom G5 changes from HSI to an EFIS display like the top G5 had.

A little more information about your installation is needed.

In another thread you reported that "For IFR I use dual Nav/Com with ILS.".

Do you have any navigators currently connected to your dual G5 installation?

Steve

Yes, I have dual Nav/Com radios for IFR navigation. My only navigation GPS is the VFR Aera 660. IFR GPS navigator or GAD 29B are not installed for now.

The other Garmin equipment I have installed are :

- Dual G5s with a GPS Antenna (010-12444-00) mandatory for STC'd installations) and a GMU-11 magnetometer

- GTX335 transponder with a GA35 GPS Antenna and GAE12 Encoder for ADSB-OUT.

- Both a GDL 39 and also a Stratux, to cover all my tablet apps for ADSB-IN

Last edited:
Yes, I have dual Nav/Com radios for IFR navigation. My only navigation GPS is the VFR Aera 660. IFR GPS navigator or GAD 29B are not installed for now.

The other Garmin equipment I have installed are :

- Dual G5s with a GPS Antenna (010-12444-00) mandatory for STC'd installations) and a GMU-11 magnetometer

- GTX335 transponder with a GA35 GPS Antenna and GAE12 Encoder for ADSB-OUT.

- Both a GDL 39 and also a Stratux, to cover all my tablet apps for ADSB-IN

Thanks, very helpful.

Yes, the G5 STC Installation manual does provide installation and configuration information for a "Portable Avionics Interface Connector" to which you can connect many portable GPS units including the Aera 660/760.

You will need to connect the NMEA output from the Aera 660/760 to both of your G5 units.

Since you have an external GPS antenna connected to your primary G5, you do not need the GTX 335 GPS data and will need to disconnect it.

If I were you I would forget about using a tablet since it cannot interface to your G5 and would be just another place to have to enter the flight plan and approach.

If you install an Aera 760, it can be your primary GPS navigator, and you can load/activate an ILS approach (for visual reference), complete with procedure turn and missed approach, and use it to drive your G5 units and provide lateral navigation to the final approach course where your NAV radio will take over to provide the ILS approach guidance.

If you ever upgrade to a GFC 500 autopilot, the Aera 760 can be one of the navigators that will directly drive the GFC 500.

Should you ever upgrade one of your NAV/COM units to a GPS/COM like the GNC 355, you can even drive the Aera 760 directly using the MapMX output from the GPS navigator for RNAV approaches.

Here is an example of an RNAV approach being used on an Aera 760, and an ILS would be similar.

AM-JKLXsyDNyJdcmi-zVxsAly3n7kGFpU09NRNI9l-Qsm1qJGiDswwcacaU8LMLZC-1Aw-FuDPuFAmY_HM6yAZxmNYqUVT2plzj2wQuY87W9Xou6b7vk0022lTaMZBsj6CJjcz-gtbKZAUOmM0tf13Ulc-LN=w480

I have a ball mount attached to the Aera 760 mount, a second ball mount attached to the instrument panel, and an adjustable arm in between the two which gives you great control over placement and viewing angle of the Aera 760. When you leave the plane you just push the button on the Aera 760 mount to release it, and the mount and aircraft wiring remains in place.

20220105_173442.png

Steve

Thank you, I took a screenshot of your advice for the future in case I install the 760 or an IFR GPS navigator. Regarding the GFC500, Garmin isn't interested in the 177 and only the later 177a,b, and rg are included in their STC.

Connecting the 660 to both G5s will be easy, I guess it'll have to be as soon as it's too cold for me to enjoy flying next month !

Thank you, I took a screenshot of your advice for the future in case I install the 760 or an IFR GPS navigator. Regarding the GFC500, Garmin isn't interested in the 177 and only the later 177a,b, and rg are included in their STC.

Connecting the 660 to both G5s will be easy, I guess it'll have to be as soon as it's too cold for me to enjoy flying next month !

While the Aera 660 can't load approach transitions, arrivals, and departures like you can with the Aera 760, the Aera 660 can load the FAF to runway portion of approaches, which is a huge help in visualizing and flying ILS approaches with a NAV only equipped aircraft like yours.

SelectApproachPage.png

You can use the Aera 660 in combination with the G5 to provide guidance to the FAF, or you can activate vectors-to-final on the Aera 660 and have a great visual reference when receiving heading vectors to the final approach course.

ModifyApproach.png

KIXDILS36VTF.png

Another important feature provided by an Aera 660 used in combination with a G5 is VNAV guidance. You can setup VNAV on the Aera 660 to do something like providing VNAV guidance from cruise altitude to pattern altitude at a user specified descent rate (e.g. 500 fpm) and at a user specified distance from the airport.

The G5 vertical deviation bar will come alive just prior to the top of descent and provide vertical guidance to the bottom of the VNAV profile. When a GFC 500 autopilot is installed, this descent can be autopilot coupled.

AM-JKLVg2kPTVZIBbRPBK5b0cwnjycdEIXUn8v1FGomo_UfyICGLYjZsmycF0D1HcVKttuGX-s5GJIaBlT14JhGAq03hVS2b8bGeWaqRUpe2AwtaK84gBFCXNdm8Qs4oetmyhAU_jbqzLiuDehWlOMsK8j1H=w374

Steve

Auto pilot

“If you ever upgrade to a GFC 500 autopilot, the Aera 760 can be one of the navigators that will directly drive the GFC 500.”

I have a GRT Sport Sx with GRT servos for the AP. I also have a 660 hardwired into the panel and serial connected to the EFIs. Route info entered into the 660 transfers to the EFIs and the auto pilot flies the route. Not “legal” IFR.

Last edited:
I've installed a couple of 175's and love that unit. The 660 seems to have many of the same features. Will it automatically sequence to the missed approach, show holds and entries like the 175?

I've installed a couple of 175's and love that unit. The 660 seems to have many of the same features. Will it automatically sequence to the missed approach, show holds and entries like the 175?

Bob,

The Aera 660 has FAF to runway guidance, but not the missed approach and holding pattern entry guidance provided by the Aera 760.

Just to be clear, neither the Aera 660 or the Aera 760 are IFR navigators (like the GPS 175) and do not replace the IFR navigator when operating under IFR.

Steve

I have a current KLN94 in the airplane for IFR and would like to replace the 396 in the panel. The 660 would be a step up in situational awareness but I don't believe it would work with the GXM30 antenna I still use for XM weather. I also have a hardwired Stratus 3i so to get weather on the 660 would be another equipment replacement. Much as I like Garmin stuff the lack of ADS-B interoperability with other manufacturers products is detracting.

I have a current KLN94 in the airplane for IFR and would like to replace the 396 in the panel. The 660 would be a step up in situational awareness but I don't believe it would work with the GXM30 antenna I still use for XM weather. I also have a hardwired Stratus 3i so to get weather on the 660 would be another equipment replacement. Much as I like Garmin stuff the lack of ADS-B interoperability with other manufacturers products is detracting.
I am hooked on Garmin TargetTrend traffic, and would never want to use anything else.

In this image there is traffic on a crossing path from the right. If you had only the traffic aircraft symbol (track direction) to look at like provided by other traffic receivers, it makes it appear that it might be a future conflict for the ownship aircraft outbound on the approach course.

The green TargetTrend vector shows that in 2 minutes the traffic target will be at the 5 o'clock position crossing behind the ownship aircraft and not a factor. On the day I took this Aera 760 screen shot, this was exactly what happened.

AM-JKLXkaqFS6I8-SW0zPhfoBxfDULbz8wsDlid3n2lVSreTyt_U4xaX_2TRFIdn0WU_kNFJNPgcQS5IwETpfWrwOmqbwdQFXIXCEDf9WhDdtfKgeBZDsd3Qs4KPIPBqQc2yDhNwxcW4o2Srrhbg6mWdXQk_=w480

I have flown with TargetTrend traffic for 9 years, and almost without fail, I find it extremely accurate in predicting future traffic positions. This is true both for maneuvering traffic targets and those that are not changing track/speed. The TargetTrend vector changes dynamically to accommodate changes.

The GDL 39/39R, GDL 50(R)/51(R)/52(R), GNX 375, and GTX 45R/345R/345 TargetTrend ADS-B Traffic/Weather receivers all work with G3X Touch and Aera 660/760/795/796 displays.

The GDL 52/52R provides, in a single box, ADS-B Traffic/Weather and SXM Weather/Music. I have a remote mounted GDL 52R in my aircraft that is shared by G3X Touch and the Aera 760. The GDL 52R SXM music is wired into my GMA 245 audio panel.

Steve

I didn't know about that TargetTrend !! Now I'm keeping the 660 in the dash and once the JPI is getting the fuel info I'll switch it to the traffic page (unless it goes to that page automatically when there's a possible conflict alert?), and I'm selling the 560. Now I just need to connect the GDL39 I just got, if anyone has any ideas that can help me:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=1580718&posted=1#post1580718

Last edited:
Garmin 660 Portable / G5 Interface

Greets Van's Fans,

RV-6 here...
I just installed a 660 to drive my dual G5's. The HSI only shows the heading indicator, and a bearing arrow to the selected fix. No horizontal, nor vertical cdi indicators. Set both the G5's and 660 to 9600 baud on nmea. But Ive reconfigured most options as well with no joy.

Any help understanding would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It sounds like Navigation Data is not enabled. You also have to have a flight plan or Direct To active in the Aera 660.

NavigationConfigurationEnabled.png

You will only see vertical navigation guidance when a VNAV descent is pending (approaching top of descent) or VNAV is active.

HSIwithNMEA_VNAV.png

Steve

Greets Van's Fans,

RV-6 here...
I just installed a 660 to drive my dual G5's. The HSI only shows the heading indicator, and a bearing arrow to the selected fix. No horizontal, nor vertical cdi indicators. Set both the G5's and 660 to 9600 baud on nmea. But Ive reconfigured most options as well with no joy.

Any help understanding would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Let's see if my post and pictures work this time. Go to the G5 settings and look for "Navigation Data" and turn it on. These are the settings I used. Notice the middle picture shows the top G5 without any indicator before I turned on nav data then on the 3rd picture it shows the VOR indicator above the slip "bubble". I didn't have an approach dialed in so it wasn't showing the ILS indicator. It should look like the picture Steve (Longez) posted a few comments back in this same thread (last picture on the right).

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 9.02.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 9.02.22 PM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
660 G5 Interface

Thank you, Steve, and Pilot 135.
I had activated flight plans to various locations on the 660 and the bearing arrow on the G5 HSI would mirror the various activated routes. So it is seeing something from the 660.
Honestly, I don't recall all the menu options on the G5. Seems I hadn't tripped over this one ENABLE navigation navigation data in my hunts for some logical configuration button I might have been missing. Ill head back out to the hangar. Its 30 miles away, unfortunately, and I combine my trips. Can't wait to get it back to Vero Beach FL barn where its fifty flip-flop marks from the shack where where I wake up in the morning.

Mike

I had activated flight plans to various locations on the 660 and the bearing arrow on the G5 HSI would mirror the various activated routes. So it is seeing something from the 660.

When you say "bearing arrow on the G5 HSI", can you describe what you are seeing? For instance, what color is it?

Thank you, Steve, and Pilot 135.
I had activated flight plans to various locations on the 660 and the bearing arrow on the G5 HSI would mirror the various activated routes. So it is seeing something from the 660.Mike

Mike,

It would be good to grab a picture of what you are seeing on the G5 HSI. I can't say that I understand what you are describing.

A bearing pointer, when enabled, is cyan and a GPS course pointer is magenta.

Here is an example where the bearing pointer and course pointer are the same.

Auto Selected Course from Aera.png

In this example, the automatically selected course pointer for the active waypoint was manually changed on the Aera 660 to 360 degs, which is something you might do to create a long extended centerline for runway 36. In this case, the cyan bearing pointer is pointing directly to the airport and the course pointer is showing a selected course that is currently offset to the right of the aircraft.

OBS 360 from Aera.png

OBS of 360.png

Steve

It sounds like Navigation Data is not enabled. You also have to have a flight plan or Direct To active in the Aera 660.

View attachment 31324

You will only see vertical navigation guidance when a VNAV descent is pending (approaching top of descent) or VNAV is active.

View attachment 31326

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have two G5 certified and GFC500, 2x GSA28, GAD13, GMU11 with area 660. Unfortunately the „Navigation Data“ button is gray and inactive. Flight plan is active.
Do you have any idea why it is inactive?

Regards
gflyer

Last edited:
I have two G5 certified and GFC500, 2x GSA28, GAD13, GMU11 with area 660. Unfortunately the „Navigation Data“ button is gray and inactive. Flight plan is active.
Do you have any idea why it is inactive?

This is normal, the G5 will not allow you to disable the display of navigation data if you have the autopilot features enabled.

Back