What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Seat Cushions and Stick Boots

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
I’m hoping to get some input on seat cushions for the RV-12/12iS…

Which foam did you order—the standard foam or Confor-Foam? If your plane is flying, are you happy with your decision, especially for cross-country flights that are at least 2-3 hours long? Does Confor-Foam add much weight?

Also, did you order the optional control stick boots? Unlike the other side-by-side RVs, the sticks in the -12 extend horizontally from underneath the seats and are very close to the floor. It seems like the stick boots won’t be very visible and the interior might be cleaner without them. On the other hand, if they prevent loose screws or other small stray objects from getting under the seats and into the control system, they might be good to have.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the standard seats plus stick boots. Two or three flights have been 3.5 hrs with no comfort issues. I’d recommend stick boots to close off the stick opening for safety.

I too have the standard seat upholstery/cushion material and have no issues with 2-3 hour legs. The main reason I installed the stick boots was to block a major cold air entry point during winter flying. The difference was significant.

I did the comfor-foam. My butt deserves the best.

I have stick boots too, but the material is a little thick and provides some resistance when you're moving the elevator during a pre-flight, etc. I would have preferred the boots to be made of a thin nylon fabric.. a cheaper look, but equally as functional and less stick interference*.

* - nothing that you can't manually override though.

I did the comfor-foam. My butt deserves the best.

I have stick boots too, but the material is a little thick and provides some resistance when you're moving the elevator during a pre-flight, etc. I would have preferred the boots to be made of a thin nylon fabric.. a cheaper look, but equally as functional and less stick interference*.

* - nothing that you can't manually override though.

A way to solve the boot interference issue is to stuff some of the boot through the bulkhead opening.

I.E., slide the small portion that is around the stick, further down the stick and stuff the major portion of the boot through the opening in the bulkhead.
That relieves the need for the boot to flex around as much when the stick moves through its full travel range.

Who supplies the stick boots? Not fitted to mine (bought not built) and I didn’t know they are available.

Jack

Standard foam and stick boots. The standard foam feels fine even after 3.5 hours. My only complaint is I live in an area with cold in winter. I'm taller and my head is almost touching the canopy in good weather...in the winter the cold foam does not compress until you've sat on them and warmed them up (half hour or so) making my head touch the canopy for the first half hour.

Get the stick boots; you will never regret them.

Back