What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suntail and FlyLED

sloengineer

When we purchased our empennage kit we ordered the optional AeroLED Suntail. Since that time, we leared of the FlyLED kits and would like to utilize them for the wing tips. Does anyone know if the Suntail can be powered with the FlyLED board to facilitate flash coordination with the tips?

It cannot. The FlyLED tail light/strobe doesn't have separate wires for the nav/strobe functionality. It provides 30% power for NAV and 100% bursts for strobe. As the instructions state, do not hook it up directly to a 12v source or you may damage the LEDs. They are not designed to handle 100% for more than short bursts.

Ray is referring to the instructions for the Flyleds tail light, which indeed must only be connected to the Flyleds controller.

The suntail can still be used by giving it 12 volts as per Van's plans and it will flash. We haven't had one to play with to make it sync with the Flyleds kit.

Ray is referring to the instructions for the Flyleds tail light, which indeed must only be connected to the Flyleds controller.

The suntail can still be used by giving it 12 volts as per Van's plans and it will flash. We haven't had one to play with to make it sync with the Flyleds kit.

Thanks, guys! And Paul, I'm the one that emaild you the same question yesterday. I appreciate the quick responses! I was just posting here to see if any of these more seasoned electronics wizards had tried it.

I guess I'll keep the Suntail and hook it per the factory instructions.

Back