What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What version iPad do I need?

az_gila

Well Known Member
When I bought my last iPad - an iPad 2 version - many years ago I had to get a cell phone version because the wi-fi version did not have a GPS unit installed.

Is that still true for the latest versions? Do I still need a cell phone version?

Yes, the GPS and Cell chips are a package.
But you don't need to activate the Cell part. The GPS works just fine if you don't have a cell plan :cool:

Depending on how you use the iPad, you may not need the GPS either...

I have an ipad mini 4 wifi and it has a gps but no cell capability. If you feed the ipad location data via bluetooth, there's no need for a built-in GPS.

Yes, the GPS and Cell chips are a package.
But you don't need to activate the Cell part. The GPS works just fine if you don't have a cell plan :cool:

Depending on how you use the iPad, you may not need the GPS either...

I found that the 10 inch iPad Pro works great for me. Others like the iPad Mini. A single RAM suction cup holds either one rock solid. With iPads, there is no GPS unless you get the cell-capable version. As noted, you don't have buy cell service, but it's a $10/month add on to my AT&T account or my Verizon account. I like the cell version because it allows real-time updating if low enough AGL.

With iPads, there is no GPS unless you get the cell-capable version.

I have heard this over and over, but mine has no cell capability but *does* have a GPS.

Maybe somehow I got lucky, because plenty of people all over the internet say it doesn't have one, but even with the wifi turned off, and no other position sources connected, the location services appear to function normally on my Mini 4.

But I guess, don't go off my recommendation, since I seem to have an experience that is different than just about everyone else. As far as I can tell, there is no cellular hardware in my Mini 4.

Last edited:
Unicorn!

I have heard this over and over, but mine has no cell capability but *does* have a GPS.

Maybe somehow I got lucky, because plenty of people all over the internet say it doesn't have one, but even with the wifi turned off, and no other position sources connected, the location services appear to function normally on my Mini 4.

But I guess, don't go off my recommendation, since I seem to have an experience that is different than just about everyone else. As far as I can tell, there is no cellular hardware in my Mini 4.
You've got a unicorn! What might be happening, and I see this with my wifi-only ipad, is that it gets GPS from a nearby iphone.

You've got a unicorn! What might be happening, and I see this with my wifi-only ipad, is that it gets GPS from a nearby iphone.

Shouldn't be. My personal phone is an Android, and my work cell (apple) has never been connected to my personal ipad, nor my personal apple account.

No, no GPS in your non-cellular iPad, but I've heard that assertion many time before. However, a "Wi-Fi-only iPad can fairly accurately pinpoint your location under many conditions. As long as it can pick up even a few Wi-Fi signals, it can use Wi-Fi positioning, which draws on a database of known Wi-Fi hotspots, to determine where you are". Won't help you with navigation at 8500 ft, however.

Just me

I been using a ipad mini for many years now. i like it because it fits my kneepad.
I just bought a new one that can run Ios 13 and later; seems mine was too old and would not take the latest iOS software, which I need for Garmin Pilot.
Also, the cell service is activated and this is helpful due to the automatic updates that comes through. I can't see using Garmin pilot without cell data active, especially for the $15 a month extra my wireless carrier charges for an iPad data-only plan. JMHO

No, no GPS in your non-cellular iPad, but I've heard that assertion many time before. However, a "Wi-Fi-only iPad can fairly accurately pinpoint your location under many conditions. As long as it can pick up even a few Wi-Fi signals, it can use Wi-Fi positioning, which draws on a database of known Wi-Fi hotspots, to determine where you are". Won't help you with navigation at 8500 ft, however.

Yes, but it does seem to work when there are no wifi signals in the area and wifi is turned off.

Back