What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions please on 430

severeclr

I can't find info on differences in non wass/ wass. Will the no wass unit still fly a GPS app with higher min and is it legal for enroute IFR. Thanks for your input.
Bob

430 vs 430W

I fly 430 non-WAAS

Works great. Legal IFR departure, enroute, arrival and approaches.
Does GPS, ILS, LOC, VOR and overlays for ADF approaches.

Only missing two functions that the WAAS version does.
1. It doesn't do vertical navigation on GPS approach like ILS
2. Does not offer a location source to new transponders to meet the ADS-B requirement.
It appears used prices show a 430W is twice as expensive as a 430. $8k vs $4k.

have fun

As noted, the non-Waas provides no vertical guidance. There's quite a difference between LNAV (non precision) and LPV (precision) minimums.

One other difference: with the non WAAS you must retain VOR capability. Either your destination or alternate must have a useable non-gps approach. Sometimes this can make flight planning a pain.

WAAS Upgrade

You can upgrade the non-WAAS unit via Garmin Dealer- When upgraded it will have Terrain feature included. FWIW

The ILS information on the 430 and 430W is for reference only. The actual approach is performed using the nav receiver portion of the 430. 430w will get you very close to standard ILS minimums using GPS only. Non was is typically around 4-500' minimums.
You will find it difficult to find a straight 430 for 4k and a careful and patient shopper can find a 430W for under 8k.

Ask yourself how you will use the gps. My home airport (KLVK) has an ILS so a non-WAAS box (with an ILS receiver too) works just fine. But a popular local destination is Half Moon Bay, where 400' OVC is common, and the only approaches are RNAV(GPS). If you were based there, only the WAAS box makes sense.

Back