What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teflon Oil Hoses

bobg56

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to do my Condition Inspection, I'm not the original owner. I can see by the paperwork I have that the lifetime (teflon) fuel hoses were installed in 2016 but nothing is mentioned about the oil hoses. I've spoken with Tom at TS Flightlines, he says that Vans had been providing the Teflon oil hoses with the engine. Can anyone elaborate on this? BTW, my RV12 is a 2010 model, Ser.#120303...Thanks

The Teflon hoses have a stainless band on the end near the fitting with a number, you can cross reference that number.

I'm getting ready to do my Condition Inspection, I'm not the original owner. I can see by the paperwork I have that the lifetime (teflon) fuel hoses were installed in 2016 but nothing is mentioned about the oil hoses. I've spoken with Tom at TS Flightlines, he says that Vans had been providing the Teflon oil hoses with the engine. Can anyone elaborate on this? BTW, my RV12 is a 2010 model, Ser.#120303...Thanks

Mine is a couple of years after yours and it has teflon. Tom knows his business. If he told you they were teflon, I would trust his opinion..

Sorry about the pic-----but it does show the OE hoses that Vans had on the RV12. Stratoflex 124 with 524 and 528 stainless hoses ends. Note the stamped AN nuts. The Rotax provided hoses were rubber lined pushlock hoses like the second pic. Steel fitting, some were metric threads with DIN ball seat connections. To my knowledge, Vans always used teflon for the oil system. Early on, Rotax supplied the fuel system, which was rubber pushlock under the firesleeve--hence the 5 year replacement SB. All have since changed to teflon.
TS Flightlines, Aircraft Specialty, and now AS Flightlines Joint Venture has always used teflon.

If anyone has trouble identifying what they have---give us a call.
AND---dont get fooled by a data tag on the firesleeve on an obvious old hose. Yep, its been done that some guys removed the firesleeve and data tag and reinstalled it on 'other' hoses. And, just because you pull the firesleeve back and it has a stainless braid hose underneath, it 'could' be a 701/156 style hose with a rubber liner, or an imposter hose that is a lookalike 701/156 hose from one of the race car hose suppliers. Teflon hose, if not damaged by rubbing on something will outlast the life of the airframe.

Tom

Attachments

• oil tank.png
    oil tank.png
    409.1 KB · Views: 326
  • P4150294.JPG
    P4150294.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 283
Thanks everyone for the replies, it looks like I have the Teflon oil hoses and life time fuel hoses...

I believe that Van's has a 10-year (or Eng overhaul) replacement time interval on the oil hoses in the MM Service Schedule.

Interestingly they also have a 10-year replacement on the fuel return assembly hose from the banjo bolt to the firewall, and the fuel pump drain hose, but none on the other fuel lines.

Last edited:
I believe that Van's has a 10-year (or Eng overhaul) replacement time interval on the oil hoses in the MM Service Schedule.

Interestingly they also have a 5 year replacement on the fuel return assembly hose from the banjo bolt to the firewall, and the fuel pump drain hose, but none on the other fuel lines.

The Fuel Return Assembly/Pressure line being utilized by Vans (VA-216) is a NON conductive teflon hose assembly with a black firesleeve.

This assembly does NOT meet the same specifications as the conductive teflon fuel hoses that are being shipped on the new RV-12 kits. This is likely the reason that they specify a replacement interval versus considering it a "lifetime" hose.

If you would like to upgrade to a hose that is not life limited, we offer this assembly for $189.95 with std milspec compliant fire sleeve or $219.95 if you would like the premium integral fire sleeve version. Both of these versions turn it into an "on condition" assembly. In addition the hose comes with a 10 year warranty.

Happy building and flying!!!!
Steve

Last edited:
Interestingly they also have a 5 year replacement on the fuel return assembly hose from the banjo bolt to the firewall, and the fuel pump drain hose, but none on the other fuel lines.

You made me look it up, because I had compiled a list of everything I needed to do during my current Condition Inspection, and that didn't make my list...

I show the Fuel Return Assembly is on a 10 year replacement (or Engine Overhaul) schedule.

The fuel drain hose is the 5 year replacement item..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
You made me look it up, because I had compiled a list of everything I needed to do during my current Condition Inspection, and that didn't make my list...

I show the Fuel Return Assembly is on a 10 year replacement (or Engine Overhaul) schedule.

Yes you are correct. I meant to say this fuel hose has a 10 year replacement vs other fuel hoses that are lifetime. Fixed it for future generations.

Back