Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N427EF View Post
Only one entry for an aluminum door?
There are no compound curves in the oil door and bending a shape to conform is very simple and just what I did on my 10. I kept the fiberglass oil door and riveted an aluminum back plate to it, leaving the flange fiberglass only. There is no flex in my oil door and the "flat" and solid structure of aluminum gave me an ideal attachment for a hidden hinge as opposed to a hollow honey comb or flox cage.Latch attachment is also much less complicated with a flat door vs a honeycomb structure.
I used .063 AS.
My James Cowl required a compound curve, and few minutes with an english wheel (.063 2024) did the trick, but it would have been better that the cowl & wheel were in the same place for fitting.

Tim, you do not need to vacuum bag it, I made some hand layup samples for test (strength) to be sure.

These photos are infused, but show the relative stiffness improvement with the 3mm Soric. The non core was touching the table.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	9500

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	9501

RV-7
Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Parabeam

James Aircraft sells small pieces of parabeam. We buy it by the roll and we love it. It makes the cowlings stiff with less weight than the soric. We use both in our products.