What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 45A-04 Rev 3

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
This is the current revision. In step 3 it says "Route P156 down through the F-1202 panel base..." This wire ultimately connects to the Silent Hektik (in my case, I don't have the newer one) which is on the firewall. Why wouldn't it simply pass through the firewall grommet rather than going down below? Any help is appreciated. I'm really frustrated with this wiring.

Jerre

Just speculating, but at one time the voltage regulator was mounted on the underside of the instrument panel base.

Just speculating, but at one time the voltage regulator was mounted on the underside of the instrument panel base.

Thanks, Joe. I think you're right. Don't know why Van's doesn't correct this.

Step 2 on the same page says run P761 through the same grommet in the panel base. I can find no further mention of this wire. Any idea what it connects to? Thanks.

Jerre

Thanks, Joe. I think you're right. Don't know why Van's doesn't correct this.

Step 2 on the same page says run P761 through the same grommet in the panel base. I can find no further mention of this wire. Any idea what it connects to? Thanks.

Jerre

The P761 is the little yellow wire 12V energized by the Master to the bring the voltage reg alive. On your drawing 45A-04 it shows routed for the under panel regulator location.
Here is an earlier 45A-06 Rev 0 plan showing that wire to the regulator located on the firewall shelf. The changes to the regulator location are causing confusion for sure.

Attachments

• 45A-06 REV 0.png
    45A-06 REV 0.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 138
Jerre
Also see sheet 46-19 Rev. 4 relating to changes due to the B&C regulator which is current.
The yellow regulator control wire is no longer used. Instead, they are showing a jumper between pin 4 and pin 6 on the B&C regulator. There has been controversy in these forums about this because with the jumper installed turning off the Master does not shut down the VR.

Attachments

• 46-19 Rev 4.png
    46-19 Rev 4.png
    767.9 KB · Views: 152
Just to emphasize what Tony said, with a jumper on regulator terminal "C", shutting off the master switch while the engine is running does NOT shut off electrical power to the aircraft. Terminal C should be controlled with a switch.
Also, be sure to mount the voltage regulator with heat conductive paste so that it does not overheat and fail.

Just to emphasize what Tony said, with a jumper on regulator terminal "C", shutting off the master switch while the engine is running does NOT shut off electrical power to the aircraft. Terminal C should be controlled with a switch.
Also, be sure to mount the voltage regulator with heat conductive paste so that it does not overheat and fail.

Now I'm really confused (not an uncommon state). Yesterday, I was told by Van's to add that jumper.

Jerre

To register as E-LSA you must build it exactly as your plans show. Should be no confusion there.

My posts are simply to answer the questions of what the wires you asked about are for. If there is no guidance from Van's on what to do with the P761 wire, be sure to terminate and secure it such that it can't short out on anything. It comes alive with the master switch on and is fused 1 amp. That fuse is very hard to find and replace.

Go ahead and install the jumper per the plans. After the plane is finished, go flying and shut off the master switch and notice that nothing electrical shuts off.
Then remove the jumper. Connect regulator terminal "C" to a new switch labeled "ALT". Install an inline fuse between 12 volts and the ALT switch.
The pilot should have the ability to readily and easily shut off all electrical power at the sources.

Go ahead and install the jumper per the plans. After the plane is finished, go flying and shut off the master switch and notice that nothing electrical shuts off.
Then remove the jumper. Connect regulator terminal "C" to a new switch labeled "ALT". Install an inline fuse between 12 volts and the ALT switch.
The pilot should have the ability to readily and easily shut off all electrical power at the sources.

Or should I connect P761 to C the way it originally was?

Jerre

If you look at service letter 00034, which covers the upgrade to the B&C regulator on earlier 912 installations, the yellow wire p761 is connected to the #6 terminal on the regulator. I spent several days of confusion tracing schematics before realising the answer was in the original document.
The plans upgrade seems to refer to later harnesses that don’t have the p761.
Hope this helps
Cheers DaveH

If you look at service letter 00034, which covers the upgrade to the B&C regulator on earlier 912 installations, the yellow wire p761 is connected to the #6 terminal on the regulator. I spent several days of confusion tracing schematics before realising the answer was in the original document.
The plans upgrade seems to refer to later harnesses that don’t have the p761.
Hope this helps
Cheers DaveH

After digesting all this info, it seems that the better (but perhaps illegal) way to hook the Silent Hectik up is with P761 connected to "C", aka #6, the way the B&C is hooked up in the service letter. Thanks for all the replies.

Jerre

Question about the wiring of the B&C Voltage Regulator as the initial installation

This has been an interesting discussion about wiring the B&C AVC1 Voltage Regulator. But I am still confused.

I was told by Van’s Support that the Instruction Sheets aren’t correct and that I should follow Service Letter 00034 instead.

I’m confused about:
1.) Where does the yellow wire from the Firewall Forward Harness connect to? I cannot find a label on this wire. I had assumed that this went to the Voltage Regulator.
2.) Is terminal #6 of the B&C Voltage Regulator to be connected to terminal # 4 and if so, then is the terminal to be cut off the P205 wire so that the yellow P3069 wire can be attached?

Looking at the RV-12 Wiring Diagram (i.e., my understanding that this is to be definitive source on all things wiring):
1.) The Firewall Forward Harness connector doesn’t show any yellow wires attached
2.) Terminal # 6 of the B&C AVC1 Voltage Regulator shows a three inch long yellow P3069 wire attached. But this wire doesn’t connect to anything else.

Regarding Page 46-19 revision 4, Figure 4 specifically calls out all the wires except for the EFIS wire on terminal 5 as being for reference only. So, this isn’t an instruction on how to wire the other terminals.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Brett H
Columbus, IN

This has been an interesting discussion about wiring the B&C AVC1 Voltage Regulator. But I am still confused.

I was told by Van’s Support that the Instruction Sheets aren’t correct and that I should follow Service Letter 00034 instead.

I’m confused about:
1.) Where does the yellow wire from the Firewall Forward Harness connect to? I cannot find a label on this wire. I had assumed that this went to the Voltage Regulator.
2.) Is terminal #6 of the B&C Voltage Regulator to be connected to terminal # 4 and if so, then is the terminal to be cut off the P205 wire so that the yellow P3069 wire can be attached?

Looking at the RV-12 Wiring Diagram (i.e., my understanding that this is to be definitive source on all things wiring):
1.) The Firewall Forward Harness connector doesn’t show any yellow wires attached
2.) Terminal # 6 of the B&C AVC1 Voltage Regulator shows a three inch long yellow P3069 wire attached. But this wire doesn’t connect to anything else.

Regarding Page 46-19 revision 4, Figure 4 specifically calls out all the wires except for the EFIS wire on terminal 5 as being for reference only. So, this isn’t an instruction on how to wire the other terminals.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Brett H
Columbus, IN

Brett,

The yellow wire is P761 being discussed above. This should go through the firewall penetration grommet and connect to #6 rather than connecting the 3" jumper coming from #4 as shown on the diagram.

Many thanks for the quick response (i.e., connect the P761 to #6 and no jumper).

Brett H
Finishing the engine install

Back