What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Model of my RV-8

colojo

Well Known Member
Just received my RV-8 model from Factory Direct Models. They've built models of my other planes and I'm amazed at what a great job they do. Here are some photos:

image002-M.jpg

image001-M.jpg

image003-M.jpg

image004-M.jpg

image005-M.jpg

Awesome!

I'd love to get one of those. I have a non-standard windshield so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Christmas gift for me maybe?

I'd love to get one of those. I have a non-standard windshield so hopefully that won't be an issue.

It shouldn't be. They model your plane pretty much exactly the way it is, based on photographs you send them. For example, mine has the Todd's tinted canopy. Initially the model had a clear canopy but then I sent them photos of the tinted canopy and they redid it to match.

I got one from them as well,, they got every detail spot on, came out better then I would have expected.

That's cool, does it come painted? I need to ask, how much was it? :D

Yes, the model is complete, including paint. Mine was just short of $250. They also take a few months to make; mine was started in February and I just received it. Along the way they send you photos of the cockpit and other details to approve before they continue. It's a first class operation.

They have a less expensive option where the plane is all wood and the canopy is painted. The previous owner of my plane had one of those made:

vans-rv-8-fd10-2916.jpg

For more info go to http://www.factorydirectmodels.com/

Careful!

When I took the pictures of my 8 to send them, I didn't even think to latch the canopy; just had it shoved all the way up. Guess what position the handle on my model is in? But I still love it!

When I took the pictures of my 8 to send them, I didn't even think to latch the canopy; just had it shoved all the way up. Guess what position the handle on my model is in? But I still love it!

Which canopy Joker???;)

I had my KIS4 Cruiser made by Factory Direct Models but since there are very few of these in the world I was a bit wary about how it would come out. I sent them about 75 high quality photos from every angle and plenty of close ups so they knew what the airplane looked like. I even supplied photos of the interior since I even wanted to be able to see the glass panel. The end result was simply AMAZING.

The actual airplane:
N819PRatLaGrange_zps998cd467.jpg

The finished model:
kis-cuiser-tr-4-fd11-1804l2.jpg

You can see every interior detail down to the seat belts, the wet compass on top of the cockpit and even my checklist sitting on the passenger seat. Exactly as my airplane looks.

kis-cuiser-tr-4-fd11-1804l3.jpg

Even the custom base came out better than I expected.

kis-cuiser-tr-4-fd11-1804l4.jpg

Having the clear glass cockpit so you can see the interiors almost doubled the price but to me it was worth every penny. Long after I can no longer fly I will have my airplane with me. I highly recommend them wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back