What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8a intermittent floor vibration

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Hey all. Have an intermittent floor vibration up by the rudder pedals. Almost feels like an exhaust rubbing on an engine mount. Check those, cans they’re fine. I realized the if I put my feet in certain spots on the floor up front I could feel/change the vibration. Didn’t really change with throttle input or anything.

Ideas? Cooling ramp vibrating?

Do you have the exhaust turndowns that Vetterman sells? I installed these on my -8 and they made a huge difference in the vibration level.

Chris

This may or may not help.

I didn't have any belly skin cracks but wanted to reduce the floor vibration. Vetterman sells turndown extensions and straight extensions. I already had the turndown exhaust, but they were short. So Clint at Vetterman's sent me two short, straight extensions. They are each attached by one bolt. Hint: Put the bolt in per the instructions so the bolt is pointed toward the center of the airplane and not visible to a bystander standing next to the airplane (not like I did).

i-FdnrsLm-L.jpg

i-dmrKFRw-L.jpg

And the instructions:

i-cBQQXrp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t have any turn downs. My exhaust I believe was a one off from someone that was going to make them, I’d have to ask my buddy I bought the bird from about who did them. But they basically exit the cowl about parallel to the cooling ramp

Turndowns

Install the turndowns ASAP, else you will be repairing a crack in your belly skin!

Ron B

Turndowns

My exhaust exited nearly parallel to the belly and it looked really slick - until the crack developed. I installed the Vetterman turndowns and repaired the crack. The result is MUCH less vibration and my feet are much happier! About 400 hours since the repair and no problems.

No detectable change in performance!

Ron B.

Back