What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uavionics has been purchased

https://www.avweb.com/avionics/dc-capital-partners-purchases-uavionix/

Well ****. We all know what happens next...

I had high hopes for them, but...

i have some experience in tech startups, venture capital (VC), mergers & acquisitions (M&A) and private equity investments. As recently as October 2021, I spearheaded a seven figure investment for an aviation technology company.

I think this is a good investment for both parties. DC Capital appears to be a legitimate strategic investor, and the infusion of funding will help uAvionix (a market technology leader) to expand. It's not often that VCs invest in aviation, so bravo! Good luck to them both.

...also, I am still waiting for my certified tailBeaconX...

Vern

The DC area is ripe with startups doing R&D projects for the Pentagon. My son works for one and just had his system flight tested on a F18. He tells me many startups are working on "vaporware" both hardware and software that will likely never have any practical applications but smaller companies are thriving on the spending. I have had quite a few products from uAvionix and never felt any of them were fully baked and hope they continue to improve and stick with the GA side of things.

I didn't realize that they were founded only about 7 years ago. They have a very impressive product portfolio. I've got two of their devices (Sentry Mini and SkyEcho2) and both work fine.

I hope the new owners keep things going.

I didn't realize that they were founded only about 7 years ago. They have a very impressive product portfolio. I've got two of their devices (Sentry Mini and SkyEcho2) and both work fine.

I hope the new owners keep things going.

They have an absolutely gorgeous older C-182 that they use as a test bird. Polished aluminum with yellow/black paint.

Uavionics has the best customer service I have ever encountered. Hope it continues under the new owners.

I have an echoUAT and use FltPlan Go. I’ve looked online and emailed CS to find if echoUAT can be selected on FltPlan Go via the external tab. If “add custom unit” is the correct option, does anyone know what to enter for Port number?

I don't enter any port number. I just give it some really short name (like ua) and click save with the port field empty.

However, I also have to delete and re-add the custom entry every flight.

I'm not sure if it is ADS-B installation issue, iPad issue, FltPlan Go issue or user error, but if I leave the existing "Custom Unit" in the FltPlan Go app, it never connects. The iPad will connect to the uAvionics unit, but the App doesn't.

I found that deleting and re-adding the "Custom Unit" fixes this, and the App connects immediately after I hit save.

So, after start-up and before taxi:
Make sure iPad is connected via wifi
Open FltPlan Go
External -> swipe left on ua (or whatever you named the existing custom entry) and delete, then tap Add custom Unit, enter some name and save.

If this were some paid app I'd be more inclined to go to the vendor for help, but seeing as FltPlan Go is free (free charts, free geo-referenced approach plates, etc) I'm happy to do this simple workaround.

I'd be curious to know if yours connects multiple times, meaning you don't have to go through the process above like I do.

Last edited:
Many thanks MHR! I will give that a try. It’ll be 2 weeks before I can go up but will be sure to let you know. Cheers, JB

Back