What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A/W Cert - Is a photocopy legal?

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
The question came up today and I couldn't find a definative answer (FAR); To be legal, is an aircraft required to carry its Original Issue airworthiness certificate or a certified copy issued by the FAA? ...or is a photocopy of the Original Issue acceptable?

Original issue certificate is required. Photocopy is not acceptable.

The DAR is required under the order to place the serial number of the aircraft on the lower right corner of the operating limitations, and initial beside the serial number on the second page, and all others except the final, where the serial number goes on the lower right, but the initials should be placed under "END". The FAA "policy" is that only the original has the ink, any others are duplicated. (Don't shoot the messenger........)

DAR Gary

Also, the FAA does not want it modified. Laminating it is not acceptable as that is a modification.

The DAR is required under the order to place the serial number of the aircraft on the lower right corner of the operating limitations, and initial beside the serial number on the second page, and all others except the final, where the serial number goes on the lower right, but the initials should be placed under "END". The FAA "policy" is that only the original has the ink, any others are duplicated. (Don't shoot the messenger........)

DAR Gary
Guess my DAR didn't get the memo. I only have a signature on the top section of the first page.

FAA Digital Signatures - Changing Times

Thank you all for your response. While I was looking for a specific FAR reference, I trust your answers to be correct.

It appears however that the FAA has recently entered the digital age and is now issuing Airworthiness/Ops Limits and LODA documents with digital signatures (no ink) and in the case of a recently received LODA, emailed the document in .pdf format. No longer are there ink executed original documents and one might argue that a photocopy of ink executed documents may now be acceptable.

Reference Docs: N923EN A/W Cert and signature section of N923EN LODA.

Attachments

• N923EN AW Cert.JPG
    N923EN AW Cert.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 305
  • N923EN LODA Sig.JPG
    N923EN LODA Sig.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 113
FSDO Update...

12/8/2021
FSDO response:

Pink A/W certificates are out of print and have been replaced by digitally signed .pdf documents. If you have a pink A/W certificate (ink signature), the original and not a photocopy must be in the aircraft; if you have a digitally signed .pdf file, a printed copy is acceptable/legal.

Attachments

• AIR600-17-GM05.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
YES, BUT SEE MY REPLY...The 8130-7 Certificate and the Operating Limitations are generated by the AWC portal, but the DAR must print them and affix the required serial number and initials to them. At the end of the day, it is a piece of paper. and I anticipate in the future, the records in the aircraft file at the FAA will suffice. After all, in this digital age, anybody can photoshop documents.

DAR Gary

YES, BUT SEE MY REPLY...The 8130-7 Certificate and the Operating Limitations are generated by the AWC portal, but the DAR must print them and affix the required serial number and initials to them. At the end of the day, it is a piece of paper. and I anticipate in the future, the records in the aircraft file at the FAA will suffice. After all, in this digital age, anybody can photoshop documents.

DAR Gary

AWC and Ops Limits are now generated together as a single document. The AWC is on page 1 and is followed by the Ops Limits. The header of page 2 and subsequent pages carries forward the aircraft id information listed on page 1.

Last edited:
12/8/2021
FSDO response:

Pink A/W certificates are currently obsolete and have been replaced by digitally signed .pdf documents. If you have a pink A/W certificate (ink signature), the original and not a photocopy must be in the aircraft; if you have a digitally signed .pdf file, a printed copy is acceptable/legal.

Interesting. Can one upgrade their pink AW certificate to a digitally-signed .PDF file?

Interesting. Can one upgrade their pink AW certificate to a digitally-signed .PDF file?

Pink slips being "obsolete" was a poor choice of words on my part and I edited my previous post to "out of print". There's a nostalgia associated with receiving a 'pink' slip for your airplane and Mel is doing an outstanding job keeping it alive... he garnered most of the remaining supply when it was announced they were going out of print. For those fortunate enough to have Mel as your airworthiness inspector and for as long as his supply lasts, you will share in the nostalgia when he issues your aircraft its pink slip. Digital or Ink signatures, both are valid issue... I personally prefer the pink slip and appreciate that Mel is keeping with tradition.

In answer to your question, I don't know the answer but suggest you contact your local DAR, FSDO, or MIDO.

Pink slips being "obsolete" was a poor choice of words on my part and I edited my previous post to "out of print". There's a nostalgia associated with receiving a 'pink' slip for your airplane and Mel is doing an outstanding job keeping it alive... he garnered most of the remaining supply when it was announced they were going out of print. For those fortunate enough to have Mel as your airworthiness inspector and for as long as his supply lasts, you will share in the nostalgia when he issues your aircraft its pink slip. Digital or Ink signatures, both are valid issue... I personally prefer the pink slip and appreciate that Mel is keeping with tradition.

In answer to your question, I don't know the answer but suggest you contact your local DAR, FSDO, or MIDO.

Thanks for responding. I was just curious. I prize utility over nostalgia and would vastly prefer the convenience of a verifiable digitally signed document, but I'm not wedded to the concept. I'll call the FSDO and see what they say...make the switch if it's feasible, convenient, and cheap.

Thanks for responding. I was just curious. I prize utility over nostalgia and would vastly prefer the convenience of a verifiable digitally signed document, but I'm not wedded to the concept. I'll call the FSDO and see what they say...make the switch if it's feasible, convenient, and cheap.

You could ‘accidentally’ mangle the pink slip, ask for a replacement. I think it’s free. Google ‘replacing a lost or damaged airworthiness certificate’.

If the old Pink C of A (8130-7) is lost or mutilated, they can request a replacement through the AWC portal.

DAR Gary

Back