What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax coolant hose spring clamp pliers?

Brett H

I’m at the point of installing the 912 ULS engine that I need to remove the Rotax coolant hose spring clamps.

What are people using for a spring clamp pliers that can reach the clamps and not damage the clamps? What is working well for you?

Thanks.

Brett H
Columbus, IN

I purchased a fancy unit that has a hand grip connected via a cable to clamps that squeeze the hose clamps .... Works great if there is plenty of room ... Meaning they don't work well on a couple of the clamps.

Had to borrow a set of pliers from a local mechanic to get the job done. They were made by Tool Aid part #19750. Ended up using both depending on the clearances. Link to those pliers below.
https://www.autotoolworld.com/S-G-Tool-Aid-19750-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-Set_p_166510.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6_yesqSq8gIVr2tvBB2ZAAKLEAQYBSABEgLEx_D_BwE

Last edited:
I bought a cable operated tool, which failed after the second clamp so I returned it. The rest eventually succumbed to slip joint pliers.

I discovered that cleco pliers work just fine when the engine is not yet mounted to the airframe and there's plenty of room. Doing the hose replacement was much harder due to limited space, however.

I use cable-operated spring clamp pliers and 5" Vice-Grip Bent Tapered Tip Pliers. Extra-long straight and bent needle-nose pliers also work well.

Back