What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10 October 2018: Today's Splash

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
For those who may not see this day's VAF home page splash, Doug took the (justified) liberty of celebrating his son Tate's 18th birthday.

And for those who may be new to VAF: Doug Reeves (our landlord, Air Boss, and chief snacko) is IMMENSELY proud of his family.....and he bloody well should be.

I have the great honor of knowing the Reeves family personally, if not as a close friend but certainly as a (I believe) trusted airport bud. I have seen both of his kids (kids?) in action: They are fantastic young adults. Respectful, bright, articulate, and ambitious...great young Americans. They honor their parents.

So I get it, completely. Doug and Susan have raised Tate and Audrey quite well, and the KIDS are doing their part by carrying the effort into their end zones. All of us 52F hangar neighbors are uniquely proud of these two young Reeves prodigies, and equally proud of Doug and Susan. As we say in Texas, "They done good."

Keep it coming, Doug!! :cool:

Tate Reeves - Van's RV-1 Restoration Team Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Tater...

YOU 'DA MAN!!

Cover_Tate_Reeves-S.jpg

_DSC3230-S.jpg
_DSC3194-S.jpg

_DSC3206-S.jpg
_DSC3207-S.jpg

_DSC3209-S.jpg
_DSC3219-S.jpg

Last edited:
Ernie - Thanks to adding those photos! I remember using that first on our the RV-1.org restoration update. A great addition!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Tate! Today I have learned that October 10 is special for another reason. In addition to my dad's birthday, it is also Tate's birthday. Dad passed away in 2006, but I think of him every day.

Congratulations, Tate! Your 18th birthday is a very special day!

Doug, You and Susie did good!!

Fond Memories All...

Ernie - Thanks to adding those photos! I remember using that first one our the RV-1.org restoration update. A great addition!

Aha yes, the RV-1 restoration project brings back many fond memories... from the early days of purchasing the RV-1 from Ted Filer and your generous offer to build and maintain the RV-1 website to the overwhelming response, dedication, and efforts of the VAF community during the RV-1 restoration, barnstorming tour, and subsequent presentation to the EAA museum. Precious memories all but more important are the lasting friendships the journey provided to all who participated.

The Saturday Tate Reeves arrived at Jay Pratt's "RV Central" (to do his part on the RV-1 restoration) was indeed a special day of memories. The volunteer team immediately shifted into "mentor" mode and put Tate to work on various tasks. Tate was all-in on every task, never complained, and his workmanship was excellent. Seems the acorn didn't fall far from his parental tree. Well deserved and pictured below is Tate recording his name on the RV-1... now permanently recorded in aviation history.

_DSC3219-L.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to Tate, and welcome to adulthood. Don't forget to register to VOTE!

Oct. 10 is also a special day for me since it is my daughter's birthday, too. She is turning 24 today.

Back