What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrong card 430W Update

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Okay first I get the knuckle head award. Early morning is my defense.

Using the Fly Garmin windows based updater, I mistakenly installed the Terrain card then I hit install. Apparently it can't tell that you made this error so the installer tried to install the NAVDB. It did come up with an Unrecoverable Error.

I removed the Terrain Card and installed the Nav Data card. Now when I try to install it gives me an Unrecoverable Error saying that the update was already installed on another card.

So since Garmin support is closed today and I really would like to go flying, anyone have any ideas on how to fix my issue. I tried the manual update where you download the file and use and installer, it has you get a code based on the card number. This also did not work. It seems to think I had a successful download and will not allow another.

Thanks for any help

I would guess you need Garmin to manually address this. I would imagine that each card has a unique identifier of some sort and when you perform the download it makes an entry in their tool showing that your download was added to that specific card. By doing this, they can prevent you from buying one subscription and updating all of your friends cards. They should be able to easily reset it or override the protection for you, but I seriously doubt there is another way around it. They have to report their usage to the organizations that they license data from and there is usually requirements for accurate reporting of use.

I have no experience in this particular issue, but am in the software business and this would be a pretty typical approach for a system like theirs.

Larry

Last edited:
I would guess you need Garmin to manually address this. I would imagine that each card has a unique identifier of some sort and when you perform the download it makes an entry in their tool showing that your download was added to that specific card. By doing this, they can prevent you from buying one subscription and updating all of your friends cards. They should be able to easily reset it or override the protection for you, but I seriously doubt there is another way around it. They have to report their usage to the organizations that they license data from and there is usually requirements for accurate reporting of use.

I have no experience in this particular issue, but am in the software business and this would be a pretty typical approach for a system like theirs.

Larry

Thanks Larry,

My guess is that is what happens but I just hope I did not corrupt it he card, my guess is the Terrain card is formatted differently than the Nav data card.

You would think the software would detect the type of card and not let you download into the wrong card.

I guess I will have to wait till Monday. I am surprised Garmon does not have a 24/7 help line for this, this would be bad if I needed this plane for a business. No way to get help on a weekend.

Cheers

Thanks Larry,

My guess is that is what happens but I just hope I did not corrupt it he card, my guess is the Terrain card is formatted differently than the Nav data card.

You would think the software would detect the type of card and not let you download into the wrong card.

I guess I will have to wait till Monday. I am surprised Garmon does not have a 24/7 help line for this, this would be bad if I needed this plane for a business. No way to get help on a weekend.

Cheers

It is highly unlikely that you corrupted the card. Other than some data bits they put on them to help the unit identify it or some unique formatting, they are the same. Even if it created a problem, a re-format will fix it, but I would guess they would want it sent in for that. I am certain you are not the first person to do this and there will be a process to resolve it.

Larry

Simple fix

Well Garmin just reset the counter and I was able to re-update my card correctly this time.

The most painful part was sitting on hold for 45 minutes waiting to talk to someone. It took all of 3 minutes to make the change.

Cheers

I'm surprised it even let you try. I spent a frustrating hour trying to update mine last month, and no matter what it wouldn't detect the card. Turns out I had the terrain card in there. In my defense it was really early and REALLY cold in the hangar :)

Back