What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Lifting Device

cactusman

Well Known Member
Working on prepping the plane for paint, putting on the pants and the RVBits fairings and someone said you should do this with no load on the wheels, so I took my HF 25% coupon and bought the 1000lb hydraulic lift table - came to around 190 with tax and all....and you have to mod the handle a little....but boy it sure lifts a RV12 sweet and easy.

1id084.jpg

Working on prepping the plane for paint, putting on the pants and the RVBits fairings and someone said you should do this with no load on the wheels, so I took my HF 25% coupon and bought the 1000lb hydraulic lift table - came to around 190 with tax and all....and you have to mod the handle a little....but boy it sure lifts a RV12 sweet and easy.

Very interesting, could also be used to move the plane around a crowded hangar, but... The lifting point is located obviously close to the CG which is different from the support points specified by VANs. Have you consulted VANs on this?

Very interesting, could also be used to move the plane around a crowded hangar, but... The lifting point is located obviously close to the CG which is different from the support points specified by VANs. Have you consulted VANs on this?

It's hard to see from this angle but it is more centered under the center channel/main spar....which i considered to be more tolerant of lift than the forward and rear bulkhead points for the sawhorses.....of course I didn't leave this up for more minutes than necessary, and I would put the sawhorses under the forward and rearward spar points for longer term work - I just usually don't have anyone to help lift it.

Yes you could move it around carefully - it seems pretty stable up there.

Looks great. What did you mod on the handle?
I was thinking about using one of these to raise the wings into place on my -8 when it comes time to slide them in and bolt them on.

Thanks for the idea. I have a motorcycle lift that may just work, with just some minor modifications, allowing me to raise my 12 without assistance. I do agree that once raised, the saw horses need to be properly placed, according to Van's documented locations.

Tom

I put my RV-12 on saw horses by myself. I hung weights (75 pounds) from the tail tie down to raise the nose and place the forward saw horse. Then removed the weights and lifted the tail with a scissor jack under the eye bolt and positioned the aft saw horse.

I remove the tie down eye bolts and replace them with bolts. I made an adapter that prevents the bolt from slipping off the Jack (aluminum cylinder with cups drilled into each side to capture the Jack shaft and bolt head). Then I jack the plane up one side at a time, but I don't do both sides together.

This looks like a good option if I need to get both sides up at the same time, John.

Rich

Back