What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 Stall characteristics

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have seen a couple of references to the stall being different from most other planes. What do they do differently?

They stall....

Not much notice, but thoroughly benign.

You have full authority in all 3 axes down to the stall. I do a demonstration at min speed with full inputs - it moans a bit but doesn't depart.

Straight stall, clean - very little wing drop, recover in pitch only, no need for power.

Dirty stall, may drop a wing, again, will recover on pitch only.

30° turn stall - generally stalls out of the turn to wings level.

My experience is in 3s and 4s so different but similar. Not a lot of warning because of straight wing but nothin' scary or vicious. Recover by lowering the nose a little.

Thanks for the responses. I am not flying my -7 yet but have flown and instructed in many different types. It looked like to me that the -7 has a kind of Hersey bar wing like the old Cherokees. Something I have noticed over the years is that some folks describe the flying characteristics of a plane as they might describe a wine or something when it does not need to be nearly that complicated. With most planes you lesson the angle of attack and and increase the airflow over the wing while maintaining control of the aircraft.

Little warning

Wing drop is very dependent on the alignment and Van's has a write up for correcting a "heavy wing". On the 6A there is little warning, which seems to be common across the models. Which is why I have a Reddish stall switch wired to an alert. Would anyone normally accidentally stall? No. Throw in some distraction or emergency...

My experience is similar to others but I'll elaborate on mine in particular.

First there is virtually no warning from buffet, only the mushy controls and a very steep pitch angle compared to the typical trainer.

While approaching stall I need a fair amount of rudder to keep it coordinated and even then the plane seems to want to slowly drift to the left.

Upon break it is in fact pretty benign as others mention and pitch is all that is really needed to recover.

I do get right wing drop but I also have a heavy right wing right now so that may be why. My wing drop is noticeably more pronounced as the flaps come down. The other -7A I flew also had a right wing drop.

My first stall dropped the left wing, then Mike Seager had made me keep the ball in the center, then holding the stick back at stall, it dropped straight ahead recovered then stalled again. You just have to keep the ball in the center.

The 7 has lots of rudder authority, other planes may not (do not) and would drop the wing on stall.

Back