What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp 09-05 switched holes - now what?

jfisher

On the tail kit page 09-05, Step 1 says enlarge two holes in the elevator front spar. The top one is 5/8, the bottom is 3/8. Problem is, I accidentally drilled them from the wrong side and now they are switched. The 3/8 hole is on top, and 5/8 hole is on bottom.

Can anyone tell me if I need to order a new spar?? It looks like the 5/8 hole is for the trim servo wires, and I can't figure out what the 3/8 hole is for. Van's is closed till Monday, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Look at your trim servo. My understanding is that the worm gear on the front side of the servo requires the smaller hole for clearance. I can’t imagine that having that hole a little large will compromise the strength of the spar, but you will want to enlarge the other hole for the wires so they aren’t stuffed into a hole with the worm gear.

Disclaimer: I am GUESSING about the strength of the spar. Check with Van’s if you have any concerns. :)

One hole is for wires, and one is for the shaft to pass through.

One option would be to use that spar on the right elevator.

It doesn't need the holes but structurally, it would then be the same as the left which is acceptable from a strength standpoint.

Mades the exact same mistake: this was one of the first "replacement parts" orders I did - by no means the last! I wish I had known then what Scott said - would have saved me some time and a few bucks...

Back