What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Build Cost

Jcy482

I know I have seen attempts at answering this question, but they all come at the answer in various ways. Below, I have outlined all the line items I know I need. I have left out shipping as this varies by location. I have left out paint because this could wait and I don't even know what I would want to do for paint yet. What have I totally FORGOTTEN and what should I plan for that I will definitely need (replacement of parts I ruin, things that the kits don't include etc)? I have nearly all the tools and I have no problem paying for the remaining items from a "different" budget. I really just want to establish an airplane budget. I appreciate all the ideas!

$425 fasteners
$2835 Empennage
$6925 Wings
$6620 Fuselage
$10825 Finish
$500 Crating
$33780 FWF 912is
$2825 Prop
$21000 avionics (single screen, two axis AP)

Total $85,735

I’m sure others will chime in and add to this list, but based upon my first-time build experience, I’d plan on the following additions:

- Epoxy resin & fiberglass sheet - $100
- Miscellaneous tools you don’t realize you need - $500
- You’ll want a Kroger shade - $200
- You’ll probably want the Van’s portable tow bar for rudder locking and transient aircraft movement.
- You’ll want a more robust steel tow bar for maneuvering in and out of the hangar- $250
- Miscellaneous sealants, adhesives, fluids (brake, radiator, etc.) and lubricants - $200
- Self-etching primer. Amount depends upon how you answer the next question.
- How do you plan to handle cockpit interior finish? I painstakingly identified each interior part and pre primed and painted them prior to installation. If leaving bare, no cost addition.
- DAR services will depend on your area but estimate $500-$750.
- If building E-LSA do you plan on getting your inspection certification? - $500 or so for 16 hour training class, plus travel expenses.
- Insurance. Prices will vary, but definitely a consideration.

Should be enough to chew on. Bottom line, there are a lot of hidden costs, so plan for the unknown.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Bob, is it more realistic to budget $100k and hope to have a little leftover?

Thanks for the responses. Bob, is it more realistic to budget $100k and hope to have a little leftover?

$100k would be more than adequate. You’d definitely have more left if you’re going with your initially stated build specs.

EAB

Just build it EAB and save probably $35k on engine and avionics. Nothing wrong with used avionics and low time engine.

Just build it EAB and save probably $35k on engine and avionics. Nothing wrong with used avionics and low time engine.

Probably not very many 912is engines on the used market yet. Of course one could use the 912ULS, or go way off course with UL Power, Jabiru, or Aeromomentum. :eek:

Part of the appeal to me of the package deal is, well, the package deal! I know myself. I'd be much more likely to complete it within my lifetime if all the decisions are made for me, because it would keep me from overthinking every. Fracking. Thing. :)

That said, I'm still struggling with RV-12is vs a -7 or -9, because when it comes to money there's really not a lot of difference. Especially when you factor in used engines and simple panels.

Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now. Having just moved to a new house, I have a garage full of boxes to convert into a workshop before I can do anything at all. :rolleyes:

I would recommend triple checking your assumptions with respect to the options in the wing, fuse, and finish kits. Your numbers suggest that your choosing almost no options which is a fine personal choice to make, but I would recommend considering them as budget contingencies.

I started out assuming a modest build, but after I had put some time in and was really getting excited about the airplane the options started creeping in.

Probably not very many 912is engines on the used market yet. Of course one could use the 912ULS, or go way off course with UL Power, Jabiru, or Aeromomentum. :eek:

Part of the appeal to me of the package deal is, well, the package deal! I know myself. I'd be much more likely to complete it within my lifetime if all the decisions are made for me, because it would keep me from overthinking every. Fracking. Thing. :)

That said, I'm still struggling with RV-12is vs a -7 or -9, because when it comes to money there's really not a lot of difference. Especially when you factor in used engines and simple panels.

Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now. Having just moved to a new house, I have a garage full of boxes to convert into a workshop before I can do anything at all. :rolleyes:

I know I have seen attempts at answering this question, but they all come at the answer in various ways. Below, I have outlined all the line items I know I need. I have left out shipping as this varies by location. I have left out paint because this could wait and I don't even know what I would want to do for paint yet. What have I totally FORGOTTEN and what should I plan for that I will definitely need (replacement of parts I ruin, things that the kits don't include etc)? I have nearly all the tools and I have no problem paying for the remaining items from a "different" budget. I really just want to establish an airplane budget. I appreciate all the ideas!

$425 fasteners
$2835 Empennage
$6925 Wings
$6620 Fuselage
$10825 Finish
$500 Crating
$33780 FWF 912is
$2825 Prop
$21000 avionics (single screen, two axis AP)

Total $85,735
yes taxes are a killer on the engine and avionics kits now. They both came to about 5k for NC

I agree there might not be much of a difference in kit costs, but HUGE difference in build times. I literally think you could build a 12 in a month if you so desired. No other Vans kit is this kinda build. Literally, a 5 year old could do it

I also don’t think an alternate engine is “way off course”. Quite a few built this way. But if I was staying with Rotax, a used 912 should be easy to find. Might have carbs, but plenty of aftermarket modifications for them. And as an EAB, you get to do what you want.

Last edited:
I agree there might not be much of a difference in kit costs, but HUGE difference in build times. I literally think you could build a 12 in a month if you so desired. No other Vans kit is this kinda build. Literally, a 5 year old could do it

I also don’t think an alternate engine is “way off course”. Quite a few built this way. But if I was staying with Rotax, a used 912 should be easy to find. Might have carbs, but plenty of aftermarket modifications for them. And as an EAB, you get to do what you want.
No argument at all on the build times! I've been following several build logs on the -12 and it's just silly easy compared to anything else I've seen (or done).

My "way off course" comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. :) I've seen Dick Gossen's Aeromomentum powered -12, and it looks really professional. I've also seen a short video of one with a Jabiru 3300, which sounds amazing! And in both instances, you'd save about $25k, which is mighty tempting.

I too have looked at the aftermarket for the 912, from the Zipper Big Bore kits to the Edge or SDS EFI.

It really boils down to: Do you want a "brand new" plane that you know conforms to standards, and only requires a 5 hour fly off? Or are you OK with spending more time on a non-standard setup (but saving money) and having a 40 hour fly off?

Decisions decisions....

No argument at all on the build times! I've been following several build logs on the -12 and it's just silly easy compared to anything else I've seen (or done).

My "way off course" comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. :) I've seen Dick Gossen's Aeromomentum powered -12, and it looks really professional. I've also seen a short video of one with a Jabiru 3300, which sounds amazing! And in both instances, you'd save about $25k, which is mighty tempting.

I too have looked at the aftermarket for the 912, from the Zipper Big Bore kits to the Edge or SDS EFI.

It really boils down to: Do you want a "brand new" plane that you know conforms to standards, and only requires a 5 hour fly off? Or are you OK with spending more time on a non-standard setup (but saving money) and having a 40 hour fly off?

Decisions decisions....

Chris, I am new to this whole thing, but I am also intrigued by the aeromomentums. That said, I also know myself and would likely want a new project shortly after completing this one. If selling the plane is pretty likely, would it be best to stay with the tried and true or will the resale values parallel the original "investments"? If I spend $25k less and sell for $25k less, that's fine, but if I spend $25k less and sell for $35k less because it's not a 912is, maybe I should have gone for the rotax. I hope this makes sense.

Right now, I would say the market for a RV-12 iS that's freshly built with the Rotax 912 IS and has 100 hours or less on it, is very, very good.

It would sell quickly, IMHO, if you are a hobbyist builder. Not sure how well that would go if your time needs to be worth money in the build, unless you got slave labor.

but if I spend $25k less and sell for $35k less because it's not a 912is, maybe I should have gone for the rotax. I hope this makes sense.

That is absolutly true. Also leaving the "all Vans way" will add much to the built time. I just learned that lesson the hard way. Skipping the engine kit and the avionic kit cost me minimum 100 hours each. There is so much consideration and time to source little things, so much test fitting and prototyping and some times frustration. I could be flying for months by now and promise "Next time, it will be a full kit"

If I spend $25k less and sell for $25k less, that's fine, but if I spend $25k less and sell for $35k less because it's not a 912is, maybe I should have gone for the rotax. I hope this makes sense.
It does make sense. Based on what I've seen come and go from Barnstormers over the last few years, the "non-standard" -12 listings (meaning non-Rotax) sit out there for sale for a long time, and are priced many thousands less than usual. That's not just an RV-thing either, you see the same reduction in value on any used experimental that has a converted auto engine installation.

Sounds like the general consensus is to go ELSA and follow all the rules if I don't plan to keep this plane for a long time. Anyone here to disagree? At the end of the day, I realize this is not a for-profit hobby, but I prefer to mitigate losses where possible.

Sounds like the general consensus is to go ELSA and follow all the rules if I don't plan to keep this plane for a long time. Anyone here to disagree? At the end of the day, I realize this is not a for-profit hobby, but I prefer to mitigate losses where possible.

If you want to mitigate losses, don't build. Buy someone else's.:)

The two major advantages for picking the -12 vs the -7, IF you ever come close to losing your medical, you can still fly a LightSport, AND with the -12 you don't need a buddy to help you rivet the thousands of rivets. I am working on the fuselage of a -12 and have completed the empennage and both wings without anyone's help. You can set all of the blind rivets alone, and the 10% or so of conventional rivets can easily be done by one person (provided you can use both hands).

That said, I'm still struggling with RV-12is vs a -7 or -9, because when it comes to money there's really not a lot of difference. Especially when you factor in used engines and simple panels

These are the numbers that I have run on a range of build kits. Keep in mind that I have factored in IFR avionics on each build. Not that I would be comfortable in an RV-12is or Zenith 750 Cruzer in actual IMC but for the purpose of remaining IFR current and also being able to get a pop-up IFR clearance to fly through the clouds and staying on course.

These numbers also represent most options for each kit. My thought is if I'm building it make it right up front when it is easier to add on the options!

The CubCrafter EX-3 (my desired build) and the Kitfox were eliminated based on cost alone. The RV-10 was eliminated next based on cost to need ratio. My mission doesn't include lots of passengers lots of the time. The RV-9 was next to be axed despite the modest cost difference to build over the RV-12iS cost and actual IFR capabilities based on 1) my flying being 'pleasure flying' and I don't see myself getting into actual IMC, 2) the longer build time over either of the remaining two options and 3) unable to use MoGas in the RV-9.

View attachment Cost Image.pdf

Back